Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Harlequin (color changing) paints??

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Harlequin (color changing) paints??

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 08:01 PM
L2Jarvis
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harlequin (color changing) paints??

Anyone have any experience with this stuff? I'm repainting a 20+ yr old Curare, and am considering the Harlequin bluish/greenish/purplish.

I'm afraid of adding too much weight. I'll require primer, black base coat, 3-4 color coats (the more coats the more dramatic the color shift effect) and a clear coat. I might save a coat if I can use a black primer.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 02-23-2005, 09:01 PM
Jetmodeler

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Harlequin (color changing) paints??

Lee,
did the harlequin thing a few years back on my jet, a Razor, great product, easy as any metalic paint to apply. It is a base clear process, so you will have to apply clearcoat follwoing the harlequin, within 24 hours recommended. The color shift is not dependant on thickness, i.e. number of coats, but coverage is. I put two coats on my Razor, looked great in the paint booth. Took it outside in the bright sunlight and I could see some of my gray primer underneath. A third coat and that resolved that issue, full coverage, and incredable color shift.
A cheap trick used by some is to apply a base coat of the primary color of the harlequin to cut costs, only applying one coat of harlequin. Your color shift will be reduced as you see the base color between the harlequin coat. Ugly affect, especially in sunlight, but acceptable under floruescent lights. Truth is, a good xyrillac paint can give you a better color shift when you cut cost this way.

Jim Hiller
Old 02-25-2005, 03:34 AM
balsatermite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Harlequin (color changing) paints??

Duplicolor has a 3 spray can system out for autos. this should be fuel proof and is supposed to cost about 20.00 for the system. available at places like Shucks, and other auto parts placers