Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

HPI comes thru in the end.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 09:16 AM
Hobbies for Fun
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI comes thru in the end.

I bought a Savage SS 4.6 from a hobby store.
The pull starter spring (not string, the actual spring assembly) broke.
I call and left a message explaining the problem
HPI calls back saying
1. they will not warranty the pull start.
2. The pull start is not available for sale separately so in order to replace it my only choice to purchase an entire new SS 4.6 ($400.00+ dollars) or buy a entire new engine at $199.99.

is this not insane!
Old 03-02-2005, 09:22 AM
aerodynamic18

Default RE: Savage SS 4.6 defective and HPI says Sorry buy a new truck!!

im sorry but i think u must be wrong. At the minute i have 2 pull starts in stock at the min for the 4.6. Admitatily i live in northern ireland and we dont have the 4.6ss yet tbut i do have the pull start
Old 03-02-2005, 09:24 AM
Hobbies for Fun

Per HPI as of yesterday, they do not have in distribution or for sale in the US a pull starter for a SS 4.6. They said it is unique and no other pull starter will work with that engine.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:37 AM
remten2001

I can understand your frustrations but I think your overeacting at the situtation...THe SS 4.6 is new to the market and its kind of normal that parts are hard to find for it...I think HPI should of replaced your broken pull start free of charge but it doesn't justify the reaction you are having right now...
Old 03-02-2005, 09:39 AM
sledmanass
My Feedback: (2)

I dont think any manufacture warrentys the pull starts on there engine, i would take the engine to your LHS and see if they have any pull starter that will fit your engine.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:46 AM
Groundforce-RCU
My Feedback: (20)

No way to "re engineer" the broken part (s)?
Old 03-02-2005, 10:01 AM
Hobbies for Fun

The only way to make it work currently is to hand rewind the truck after eery pull as the spring does not work at all anymore.

Hpi has already told me no otehr pull start will work period due to the engine being a unique design. (funky internal one way bearing and weird screw pattern)

Considering per HPI you cannot get a replacement pull start other than them pull one off the assembly line and mail it to you, i am left with no recourse but to appeal to HPI. I dod so, and there response was essentially too bad so sad. So, I am left with a 600.00+ truck sitting here collecting dust until HPI decideds to market the Pullstart as a seperate part in the US.

put yourself in my shoes, and then tell me how you would be so happy your pretty truck gathers dust so well and you can do abosolutly nothing about it and they only people who can say sorry too bad.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:22 AM
Destructo

Should of bought an LST.. all you have to do is call Bill at losi and tell him you broke something and he'll ship it that day.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:44 AM
Groundforce-RCU
My Feedback: (20)

Id take the pullstart off and look see if you cant fix it, until you can get your hands on another. If its broke at the "cog" all you have to do is heat the spring, put a new bend in it, heat again, then dip in some light oil, then rewind the spring (after it cools that is). It isnt as hard as it sounds, you never know until you try, that is, unless you like waiting.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:07 AM
broncobill
My Feedback: (11)

I would be upset too. Chances are he has not had the SS very long, and to break something, and not being able to get a replacement. And HPI telling him the only way to get the part is to buy a new kit. Thats bad! No bussiness should leave a customer hanging like that.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:55 PM
Pinolelst

ORIGINAL: Groundforce-RCU

Id take the pullstart off and look see if you cant fix it, until you can get your hands on another. If its broke at the "cog" all you have to do is heat the spring, put a new bend in it, heat again, then dip in some light oil, then rewind the spring (after it cools that is). It isnt as hard as it sounds, you never know until you try, that is, unless you like waiting.

Yep.Too many people fly off the handle for simple things these days

Instead of taking hours/days to spread your venom everywhere you can possibly think of and causing your blood pressure to rise and hair fall out why not Just fix the danged thing yourself and learn something....or gnash your teeth until they're flat and wail at the moon until it sets....you still won't have a truck you can start

Peace [8D]
Old 03-02-2005, 01:02 PM
infernalstone

But you have to admit, HPI does share some fault. What's something EVERY talks about breaking? Pull-starts. And HPI has been around long enough to know that this item will break and need replacing. They should have been available to order when the truck came out.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:24 PM
Pinolelst

ORIGINAL: infernalstone

But you have to admit, HPI does share some fault. What's something EVERY talks about breaking? Pull-starts. And HPI has been around long enough to know that this item will break and need replacing. They should have been available to order when the truck came out.

The industry shares the fault if any .It's a trend now it seems to get a product out ASAP spare parts being second on the list.HPI is not alone

I broke my pullstart last weekend in my Collari .30 last weekend twice.Once due to an overzealous friend pulling too hard breaking the spring and pulling the knot out and once due to my repair knot failing.Never once did it cross my mind to call Werks for a replacement because I know it's only been out a week and a broken spring end or knot pulling out is my fault not Werks/Sirio[:-]

Peace [8D]
Old 03-02-2005, 01:50 PM
Nitronutt

I'll bet, in an effort to make money, the starter SPRING... just the spring is probably the same as a S-25 or maybe even a 21? If your LHS has a pull starter for that, open it up and compare. Check it and see. Call HPI back and speak with them rationally. If you fly off the handle and start yelling obscenities at them, you will never get anywhere. Be calm and courteous as well as understanding and see where it gets you.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:52 PM
Nitronutt

If they are available in Ireland then they are available. If HPI won't do anything, and the S-25 or 21 spring won't work, then order a new starter from the guy who has the shop above.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Rccarfreak33

wow this is crazy i justed talked to hpi the other day and said my 4.6 pullstart broke and they are sending me a new one free of charge
Old 03-02-2005, 07:42 PM
Hobbies for Fun

Well, I got a call from HPI today, seems this post worked as they referrenced it. They are sending me one free of charge and advise that for future reference in the near future they will be available for $26.00 ish dollars.

So, my apologies to HPI for getting upset, however if you had given my the oppurtunity to buy one directly from you in the begining, this all could have been avoided.

I am going to check to see if the spring can be interchanged as soon as I can, as this info would be very helpful to others. I'll elt you all knwo what I find out.

Chris
Old 03-02-2005, 07:53 PM
infernalstone

ORIGINAL: Pinolelst
Never once did it cross my mind to call Werks for a replacement because I know it's only been out a week and a broken spring end or knot pulling out is my fault not Werks/Sirio[:-]

Peace [8D]
Yes. But was there a pullstart readily available to fix it? I totally agree that it shouldn't be free of charge. But the part should be available to buy, especially if it's totally unique, such as this one. That's what my opinion of the situation is.

But opinions are like bungholes. Stinky, and backed up by poop.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:56 PM
rscharp

ORIGINAL: Big Alowishious

Well, I got a call from HPI today, seems this post worked as they referrenced it. They are sending me one free of charge and advise that for future reference in the near future they will be available for $26.00 ish dollars.

So, my apologies to HPI for getting upset, however if you had given my the oppurtunity to buy one directly from you in the begining, this all could have been avoided.

I am going to check to see if the spring can be interchanged as soon as I can, as this info would be very helpful to others. I'll elt you all knwo what I find out.

Chris

So, now that they are appeasing you, are you going to remove this thread/change the title?

Just wondering, you ever try to hook up a rotostart backplate from another engine onto the .28? Or maybe see if another pullstart fit? I have different brands of pullstarts on different brands of engines, most of them not meant to fit onto them...
Old 03-02-2005, 08:08 PM
stevblutu15

and HPI pulls through again lol, could you just use a different companies spring?
Old 03-02-2005, 08:36 PM
Rccarfreak33

probably if we looked aroun we could find the right spring, i thught it was nice of hpi to send me a free one though wheni called i even asked how much it was when i was ordering it and they said its on us. so props to hpi and their amazing customer service and amazing truck
Old 03-02-2005, 09:05 PM
ScGRacer

Just upgrade motors and when the spring comes out put it on ebay!