Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Covering a wing

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Covering a wing

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 10:30 PM
AgCat1982

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering a wing

A question about iron on coverings. When you cover a wing, do you attach the covering to the ribs or not? Is there a general method or is just a individual choice?
Old 03-05-2005, 11:32 PM
Gollywock

Default RE: Covering a wing

Ag- It's explained a little bit here http://www.monokote.com/monoinst1.html -Jim
Old 03-05-2005, 11:37 PM
AgCat1982

Thanks Gollywock.

That is the instructions that comes with Monokote. It doesn't really say anything about whether or not you attach the ribs or let the covering "float" over them. I usually have a problem with wrinkles there that I can't remove.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:48 PM
Gollywock

Ag- Just allow the film to 'float' over the ribs, Attach it only to the outside peremeter . On a wing, an exception would be if had an undercamber. Then you would attach it to the bottom of the ribs to maintain the airfoil section. By attaching only to the outside peremeter, you can shrink the covering more evenly. Jim
Old 03-05-2005, 11:53 PM
AgCat1982

Thanks Jim. I was hoping you would say that! I have done several planes, but had problems, always, if I attached to the ribs.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:21 AM
the-plumber

I've always tack the covering around the perimeter, then iron all the way around the perimeter, then iron the internal structure (ribs, stringers, whatever), and _then_ use a heat gun on the open bay areas to shrink the covering between the structural bits.

Never ever had a wrinkle problem on any covered model.

I think the trick is to tack along one edge, then tack the opposite edge while pulling on the covering just a bit. I try to get the covering tacked to the perimeter without any wrinkles or 'waves' in the covering.

If there aren't any wrinkles when the covering is at the 'tacked-on' stage, there won't be any wrinkles when the job is done.

I always tack, then iron the perimeter, then iron the structure, then use a heat gun to shrink the covering in the open bay areas.