Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Cutting Carbon Fiber Push Rods

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Cutting Carbon Fiber Push Rods

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 07:49 AM
rayb
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting Carbon Fiber Push Rods

What is recommended procedure for cutting carbon fiber pushrods to length?
Thanks.
Ray
Old 07-30-2004, 08:23 AM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cutting Carbon Fiber Push Rods

The key too cutting a carbon fiber rod is too make sure it doesn't splinter. I mark where I want the cut too be, then wrap the rod tight with masking tape right behind the cut line, then use my band-saw with a fine tooth blade to make the cut. Just cut slowly and don't force it. You could also use a fine tooth Zona saw to make the cut.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:20 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had great luck just useing a fine toothed hack saw. Saw slowly and it will cut fine, but like country boy states, use masking tape to control splinters. ALSO, USE CAUTION, carbon fiber particals are very dangerous to the lungs, use a good dust mask. Although you may not see the particals in the air they are there.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:47 AM
Mike Ledbetter

You can also use a dremel cut off tool. Produces a lot of dust though. I have wrapped them in tape and just cut them with wire cutters, which works about as good as anything.

Regards.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:11 AM
kdheath

Once you've cut the CF tube to length, find a bit of hobby shop aluminum tubing that is a slide fit over the CF. Cut two pieces 1/4" or so long, slip them over the CF, and when you have the ends installed, slip the tubing down over the ends and secure with just a drop of epoxy or CA. Can't split in service this way. And leaves you with a neat shiny little end on the pushrod.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:16 AM
jettstarblue

[]BAD BAD BAD!!!

Never cut carbon fiber with a saw, dremel, or other mechanical device!

Always use single sided razors, or exacto knives, lots of them.

You like your lungs, Yes?

Seriously.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:22 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jettstarblue

Always use single sided razors, or exacto knives, lots of them.
Jett, can you post some pics of the cut quality with razors ? This is tough job ain't it ?

I wonder if there's a way to cut CF immersed in water ? Worth a try ?
Old 08-10-2004, 02:48 PM
JetMech64
My Feedback: (7)

Rayb,

We use an enormous amount of carbon fiber here at Gulfstream Aerospace and I use it when I build scale aircraft. It all depends on what type of fiber you are cutting that will determine the method. Our manufactures of carbon fiber recommend the following. If you are cutting geometric stock ie, square, round, triangle tubes you should use a carbon cutting wheel with a high speed tool. If you are wanting to cut sheet stock we score the sheet with a razor knife then pass the sheet through a band saw with a very high tooth count and slow speeds (meaning the feed rate & saw speed). Some safety tips that are a must: 1. WEAR A DUST MASK. Carbon fiber has been found to cause a lot of severe lung problems. 2. WEAR EYE PROTECTION. one small sliver in your eye can cause extreme problems and even the loss of sight. worst of all carbon fibers can become airborne. 3. Tape the area to be cut with masking tap to help eliminate splintering. Tape the piece to be cut, draw the line on the tape and cut down the center of the tape. This way you have protected both ends of the pieces being cut. 4. If you can wear gloves when cutting, surgical gloves or light weight work gloves. This will help from getting splinters in your hands. Remember, Carbon Fiber is a lot like fiberglass insulation. The manufactures just add epoxy to the matrix to make the solid shape. So when you cut you are exposing the fibers again. All the guys above are right, just be careful.
Best of luck with your building.

JetMech64
Old 08-10-2004, 03:40 PM
jettstarblue

Mike, no pics, and yes, it takes a bit, but can be done, with no dust. Not impossible, though. Roll your blade over the rod/tube several times, it uses up the blades pretty quick, but I'd rather use up blades than my lungs.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:08 PM
rajul

Thanks Jett, I'll give it a try
Old 08-10-2004, 10:23 PM
speedy1379

I cut my CF rods immersed in water. I use a razer saw to cut CF wrapped in tape and marked.

No evil dust and a clean cut "if you go slow". Works great!
Old 08-10-2004, 10:30 PM
rajul

Hi speedy, this is what I am waiting to hear. Can you post a pic or two of your setup ? Thanks !
Old 08-10-2004, 10:55 PM
speedy1379

Sorry no cam. But all I do is wrap it in tape, mark it, and run the water in the sink as I cut.
Keeping the CF under the water, dust goes away with the water. Comes out great every time.
Give it a try, but make sure you dont have any dishes in the sink!!! I think that would be a
bad thing. LOL
Old 08-10-2004, 11:10 PM
rajul

aaahh........so that's the secret. LOL ! Seriously, you have given me some good ideas.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:37 PM
speedy1379

Always glad to help. When I can.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:54 AM
ColinM

Set up a vacuum cleaner to catch any dust, then cut the tube with a ceramic tile cutting blade in a small hacksaw frame, rotating the tube as you cut. So don't cut through the tube, rather cut around the circumference first. Works fine for me.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:02 PM
idezyn
My Feedback: (1)

I have never cut CF tubing, but have reasonable idea. Possibly you could use a pipe or tubing cutter. The type that you clamp onto the tubing and rotate around the stock; Advancing the cutting wheel, periodically as you go. I think if you use one in fairly new condition and advance the cutting wheel VERY slowly, you'd produce a clean, perpendicular cut, with very little CF dust.

Just a though....
Old 03-08-2005, 04:43 PM
bipeaddict

I use a dremel tool. I also use respirator, eye protection, gloves, and a vacuum cleaner on during the cut. The vacuum cleaner needs to have the very fine dust filters on it. If it doesn't the carbon dust will get sucked into the motor and the motor will short out.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:10 PM
RC-Captain

A little of the topic but if so called carbon fiber or fiber glass is so dangerous why do they use it above almost all drop ceiling application. I have been working around fiber glass insulation for years and have never had any health problem to date. I do wear eye and nose protection in most cases but when I am in some ones attic walking over it I don't.

there may be different types of fiber glass insulation, because if there isn't we ALL are at risk of health problems.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:51 PM
olstoney
My Feedback: (19)

I do my CF rods using the same method as Bipeaddict does and it works very well for me. I also have been able to very carefully use the Dremel to do two cuts on each side of a CF rod in order to save a Titanium end. After the cuts are made the CF comes apart very easily with a set of side cutters. Believe it or not, any residual JB Weld comes right out with a Dremel wire wheel. After cleaning the ends in alcohol they can be reinstalled saving many $$$$. The key to doing this is to cut slowly and not to deep.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:20 PM
crook
Banned

you are talking bout 1/8 in or 1/16 carbon tubes, right. A single sided razor knife?...for every 1 pass trying to cut like that, is 1 chance your gonna fray your tube, quickest and best method is a cut off tool on a straight 90 high speed grinder or a dremel..yes this stuff is bad to breathe, but its not Anthrax..by far!
Old 03-10-2005, 03:28 AM
olstoney
My Feedback: (19)

Nope,
I use the Dremel for all my CF rod work and I do tape the rods before cutting them with the high speed cutoff wheel.