Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Glow Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 07:35 AM
c0br4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow Plugs

I have just received the gears for my rush evo after waiting 4 weeks. Before the car worked fine but now I have spent hours trying to start it. I am using pullstart, and I have googled loads and tried every method there is (I think). I was wondering if the glow plug is broken because the first coil does not light up, but the rest does. I would type some more detail but my fingers are way too blistered now from trying to start the engine (blisters+nitro fuel=pain). so if you need to know anything else be sure to let me know
Old 03-13-2005, 07:59 AM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Glow Plugs

After a bit of use the very first coil on a glow plug will become grey/black and will not glow when the plug is heated. This, however should not stop the engine from starting, as the rest of the glow plug is still providing the "glow" to burn the fuel and start the combustion cycle. If you have a brand new glow plug on hand then you might want to try it just to be sure. These are some other reasons why your engine won't start, some are obvious, some are not...
1: Fuel not reaching the engine through the carb - try primimg it a bit more to get more fuel into the combustion chamber. If it floods take out the plug, turn upside down and pull cord.
2: Low battery on glow starter - recharge or replace battery.
3: Engine too cold to start, cold engines can be a pain in the butt to start - warm engine for a few minutes with hairdryer.
4: Air leak - check fuel tubing, fuel tank and engine for signs of a leak (look for oil around connections.)
5: Carb setings way off - return to factory settings - MOST LIKELY CAUSE!
6: One way bearing in pullstart slipping (no resistance when you pull the cord) - remove pullstart (CAREFULLY), remove oil and grease from bearing and shaft.

Hmm, thats all i can think of right now... Good luck.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:21 AM
johnnystobart

yeah I agree with snowy, most likely to be carb settings way out. Turn screw all the way clockwise until closed, then back 3 turns anti clockwise, when the engine starts run as if you are breaking in again, (i.e not full speed) and keep adjusting 1/8th turn anticlockwise antil optimum performance is achieved.

Also make sure you have good batteries and the like, I got a rush evo too, and i found it a ***** to set up, but it stood me in good stead for the three other cars I have bought and my plane.

I stripped my spur gear the second time I had it out, the power is too much for a plastic gear in my opinion, so I had an ally one made by a mate. its a load better now, I race mine on a BMX track all the kids think its ace and there are quite a few dads now turning up on a Sunday with their new toys, poor kids cant get a look in on their bike track, all us petrol heads have nicked it!!
Old 03-13-2005, 03:54 PM
nitroracer20

Set the high speed needle to be flush with the carb housing. Replace or charge the battery in your glow starter. Is the fuel still good. Does it smell like alchaul still? Open your throttle servo a bit to get some extra fuel into the engine. Not alot, mabe 1/5 open.
If the problem percists report back.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:16 PM
c0br4

Thanks for your feedback, I will try again in the morning. I can't be bothered to do anything now after spending 8 hours at the skatepark I am knackered (<--spelling?). I am always learning new methods there seems to be so many. The compression is fine, the fuel is fresh, and the engine is well primed since I keep flooding it [sm=drowning.gif] . I have not tried turning the car upside down to deflood it before nor have I tried warming te enginge with a hairdryer. Will try tomorrow and let you know how far I don't get.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:23 AM
c0br4

Uh Oh, I dn't know if this is normal, or expensive but if I fully open the carb and pull the starter cord, I can hear a kind of grinding noise every time the piston lowers. Does anyone know what this could be, or could it have something to do with the engine not starting???
Old 03-14-2005, 09:02 AM
c0br4

yey, I got it started using the hairdryer method (now I want a battery powered hairdryer). I ave ignored the grinding noise although I will probably regret it later. but everything runs ok
Old 03-14-2005, 12:04 PM
c0br4

ok, had a good run, until the wheel went flying off in the grass :-( I went to examine only to discover I had lost the wheel nut and a bearing. Don't know how but I managed to find both the nut and the bearing... very lucky. So I put them back on only to find for some reason I could only steer to the right. so I am going to examine the servo now but that means taking the whole chassis apart :-( I don't have much luck with my car here is a list of things I have broken.

1. Melted the slipper clutch (best keep slipper tight)
2. Stripped the middle gear (lets not go up very steep hills full speed)
3. Bent the dogbones used for steering (avod hitting concrete posts)
4. Damaged the wishbones (jumped way too high)
5. Stripped the steering servo gears (front wheel went flying off formula 1 style and the axle took a direct hit to a park bench)

All of the above happened at seperate times, I think I need to be a little more gentle :-)
Old 03-14-2005, 03:30 PM
c0br4

I am really not having much luck at all. I have disassembled the front steering servo box, and found that I have stripped the gears inside... does anyon know if the gears can be replaced. it is a HPI SF-1 servo motor box thingy
Old 03-14-2005, 05:27 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I din't know of anywhere that sells individual gears for servos (or complete gear sets for servos), i think the best bet would be to invest in a metal-geared servo. They are expensive but most have much more torque and are a lot more sturdy. Or just replace the servo and stick a servo saver on it, that should protect it if your steering takes a bash.
Good to hear your engine works though...
Old 03-14-2005, 06:21 PM
c0br4

Sounds like a servo saver could be a good investment, I have searched and found a replacement gear set [link=http://www.mirageracing.com/productRange.php?makeId=HP&catId=RADI&subCatId=MIS C&searchTerms=make%3AHP+cate%3ARADI+subc%3AMISC]here[/link] but the damn site is trade only :-( when I took my servo apart I noticed that inside the servo horn there is a thick "c" shaped piece of plastic, is this a servo saver (not much point in buying what I already have). Also what should I look for when buying servo's, will they all fit or do you get different voltages, connections, sizes etc???