Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

HELP WITH OS91VRDF + Ramtec 9blade fan unit + SAAB VIGGEN

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

HELP WITH OS91VRDF + Ramtec 9blade fan unit + SAAB VIGGEN

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 04:51 PM
shozzy69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP WITH OS91VRDF + Ramtec 9blade fan unit + SAAB VIGGEN

HI THERE PLEASE HELP I HAVE JUST BOUGHT THIS JIM FOX MODELS SAAB I HAVE DONE SOME TIDYING UP OF THE PLANE AND TODAY WENT O START IT PUT 10% FUEL IN AND STARTER WAND THROUGH THE FRONT CANOPY AND TRIED TO FIRE IT UP.IT TOOK ALONG TIME TO START AND WHEN IT DID I NOTICED THAT IT WAS SUCKING AIR FROM THE REAR AND BLOWING IT OUT THE FRONT.THE ENGINE WAS SLUGGISH ETC AND WOULD NOT THROTTLE SO QUESTIONS
1 HAVE I FLOODED ENGINE AND THEN GONE INTO REVERSE ALTHOUGH ENGINE DID THE SAME THING 3/4 TIME IN A ROW
2 DO I NEED TO REVERSE WIRE ON THE STARTER
3 ANY MORE HELP TO DO WITH PLANE THANKS
PS WILL IT TAKE OFF GRASS
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig10968.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	239705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48558.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	239706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79627.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	239707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35095.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	239708  
Old 03-07-2005, 06:08 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: HELP WITH OS91VRDF + Ramtec 9blade fan unit + SAAB VIGGEN

The engine is running backwards according to your description. Your starter should spin the same way for your DF starter probe as for a regular prop airplane - the fan should spin counter clockwise when facing it. You'll have to look at your set up to ensure your starter is plugged in right to accomplish that. DF's can start backwards even if spun correctly if the probe is pulled out too soon or the running rpm is low. If you're cranking the engine for a long time with your probe, make sure you lube it with white grease or something. Make sure you have a hot glow plug driver, particularly if you're using a cold plug. If need be, you may want to prime your engine or at least get fuel down to carb by blowing in the vent line (pipe pressure line/pitot pressure line). I don't know about grass field characteristics for that plane.

Just took another look at your pics and noticed you're using pitot pressure. Also see a remote needle valve but no inflight mixture control. You're probably going to want that.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:40 PM
shozzy69

okey thanks i will have another go tommorow and take it from there thanks
Old 03-15-2005, 11:00 AM
shozzy69

hi there its all working fine now but i have decided to sell and trey something else thanks
Old 03-15-2005, 12:31 PM
Haldor
My Feedback: (5)

Before flight #1:

* Remove plug and light it with the glowdriver, it should be bright yellow - not red nor white glow.
The plugdriver should get power from a different source than the 12V battery driving the starter

* Squirt some fuel into the cylinder now that the plug is off and open carb a little so it will draw fuel - now spin the motor with the starter for 4-6seconds.

* Set carb at idle, insert glowplug and rotate the engine by hand against rotation untill it stop (compression)

* Now attempt to start it.