Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Battery Charging Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 04:08 PM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Charging Questions

Can I charge my 12V lead/acid with my MRC Super Brain 959?

I just got some LiPo's and a charger. The charger ONLY runs on 12V.
If so, can I use my lead/acid battery to charge my LiPo's

AND can I charge my LiPo's from the inside of my car, or do I need to hook directly to the battery, in absence of my field box.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:49 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Battery Charging Questions

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the SuperBrain 959 can charge lead acid batteries. It should say in the instructions, and if you don't have a copy of the instructions, you can download them from www.modelrectifier.com. You might have to dig a little, but I've downloaded the manual from there in the past.

I just looked, and the 959 can't charge lead acid. The 969 says it can, but it also says it can charge LiPolys, which is completely untrue...

For charging lead acid batteries, I'd recommend an inexpensive charger from the local auto parts or WalMart...

You can plug your 12V charger into the cigarette lighter on your car, but I wouldn't recommend charging LiPolys inside the vehicle, just in case.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:05 PM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks Matt,

The LiPo charger that I have is a very small unit which is capable of up to 4 cells. It has alligator clips. I prefer banana plugs. I guess I will need to install plugs and remove the clips, or put exterior posts on my field box. I hate taking the battery out, it requires partial disassembly of the box.

I will just use the charger that I have for the lead/acid battery. I was just hoping to be notified when the thing is charged. I can never tell with that little wall charger I have.

Someone needs to make a single, computerized, charger for all battery types. I know they exist, but I mean for NORMAL people. Some of them are over $1000.

Later

Old 03-15-2005, 10:02 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

You can charge Lead Acid batts with the 969, but you probably won't get much of a charge rate out of it with the 13.5V supply...

[link=http://www.modelrectifier.com/resources/batteryChargers/RB969_manual2.pdf]MRC Super Brain 969 Pro Charger Manual[/link]