Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fuel Pump for DF

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fuel Pump for DF

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 09:42 AM
FLYPUCK
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump for DF

Hey Gang,
I am scratch building an A-10 with twin K&B 7.5's. I'm looking for suggestions for getting the fuel from the tanks in the fuse up to the engines. I am considering Perry pumps which requires a pressure fitting on the engines. I'm not crazy about the idea of drilling holes in these new engines plus with the rear carbs, there's not a lot of room to mount the fittings and I have no idea where to place the fittings on the engines. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Doug
Old 11-07-2004, 10:18 AM
jetsetter

Default RE: Fuel Pump for DF

I have used the perry pumps that are called shaker pumps. they do not require crankcase pressure to work. They will do what you are looking for. They are also adjustable.

Larry
Old 11-07-2004, 10:26 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have plans for a A10 with twin DF. It was in a magazine in the UK. The author had a similar problem and the solution is described in the article that I still have. I will try and scan it and e-mail it to you.

The basic idea is a single fuel tank with an electric pump in the feed line. The output from the pump goes to a T piece. One side of this T goes to both engines (Via another T piece) and the other side goes back to the tank.

There are some more details in the article about how it was done and what pump to use.

I will do my best to sort it out soon for you!
Old 11-07-2004, 01:31 PM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check into cline regulators. You would need one for each engine. It runs off of a muffler tap. It only needs 4psi to work and you can locate the tank anywhere in the plane.......

Ty
read about them here....The Cline one is $60 and the Iron Bay one is $43..they both do the same thing

http://saito-engines.info/body_pumps.html
Old 11-07-2004, 09:10 PM
razorice79
My Feedback: (1)

Before I would spend any money, check out your options.. I use a Iron bay regulator with 3 tanks mounted in wing below DF engine.. works great didnt use the crank case just pipe pressure worked for me.. check it out at least..

just my 2 cents..

http://www.ironbaymodelcompany.com/W...Regulator.html
Old 11-07-2004, 09:13 PM
razorice79

ORIGINAL: landrel t brown

Check into cline regulators. You would need one for each engine. It runs off of a muffler tap. It only needs 4psi to work and you can locate the tank anywhere in the plane.......

Ty
read about them here....The Cline one is $60 and the Iron Bay one is $43..they both do the same thing

http://saito-engines.info/body_pumps.html
I think they work differently, the iron bay works of vacuum from the pull of fuel going to the carb from the increased intake air flow...the cline does the opposite.. im pretty sure im right, but could be wrong...

Razor
Old 11-09-2004, 05:56 PM
FLYPUCK

Thanks to all for the great ideas

Doug
Old 11-10-2004, 09:02 PM
duthie

Razor,
I had a look at the Iron Bay fuel pump for my latest ducted fan model and I read somewhere that the internal diaphragm could be perished by nitro fuel. The reason being that the Iron Bay fuel pump is intended for gas fuel and not nitro fuel?
I was planning on installing an Iron Bay pump into my latest jet but if they have to be replaced on a regular basis, then I will probably not bother with it, as the pump will have to be buried in the fusalage.
There is no way that I will be drilling the casing on my DF engine but I see that pipe pressure is ok?

duthie.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:08 PM
razorice79

ORIGINAL: duthie

Razor,
I had a look at the Iron Bay fuel pump for my latest ducted fan model and I read somewhere that the internal diaphragm could be perished by nitro fuel. The reason being that the Iron Bay fuel pump is intended for gas fuel and not nitro fuel?
I was planning on installing an Iron Bay pump into my latest jet but if they have to be replaced on a regular basis, then I will probably not bother with it, as the pump will have to be buried in the fusalage.
There is no way that I will be drilling the casing on my DF engine but I see that pipe pressure is ok?

duthie.
I havent had any problems.. Mines free hanging inside the fuselage..I use 10% nitro DF fuel... maybe if you use very high nitro it may wear it down quicker over time? PS. Ive had mine for about 4+ months..

-RaZoR

BTW, you could email the companys email address and they probly be more helpful[sm=idea.gif] than me..
Old 11-10-2004, 10:12 PM
razorice79

The diaphragm is designed primarily for a petroleum based fuel environment and is not as resistant to alcohol fuel and may require replacement after a season or two. If the diaphragm begins to provide less than satisfactory results, simply return the diaphragm along with a self-addressed stamped envelope for a free replacement.

thats what ive just seen stated on their site.. isnt nitro fuel petroleum based? i thought it was... season or two if you use alcohol based fuel.. (which isnt that bad if you think about it "LOTS of FLIGHTS")...

-Razor
Old 11-11-2004, 12:47 AM
duthie

Razor,
Thanks for the info. My last F20 had an engine cut, upwind, flat out - did not make the runway, so it ended up with the great matchmaker in the sky. Looking at the remains, the tank was still half full, so I guess it did not like the high G, knife edge turn!!
The tank was a fair way in front of the engine / carb, so I rekoned a fuel pump was needed for the replacement F20.

duthie.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:38 PM
razorice79

no prob!! having the fuel tank in the nose would change your cg alot when your tanks get low?

-Razor
Old 11-11-2004, 06:57 PM
duthie

Razor,
The tank in the F20 is about a couple of inches ahead of the CG and I balanced the model with the tank empty. It flew and landed great - just an engine cut put a spanner in the works.

duthie.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:30 PM
FLYPUCK

Anyone know where to buy a Cline Regulator?
I've looked around on the web but no luck.

Thanks,
Doug
Old 03-16-2005, 01:09 PM
TJP
My Feedback: (24)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cline Regulator Site:
http://www.billsroom.com/pcfs/
Old 03-16-2005, 01:29 PM
FLYPUCK