Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Nose weight tip

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Nose weight tip

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 04:27 AM
john agnew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Nose weight tip

It's my experience that most jets need some form of noseweight to get the CG right. If you can't achieve this with gear and batteries you have to add some lead.

This can be quite awkward with the type of jet that has a long pointed nose. Geeting the lead in in one piece and fixing it can be difficult.

My method is to firstly determine the amount of lead you need, then cut it into small pieces, inject some expanding foam ( the type builders use)
into the nose and before the foam cures drop the pieces of lead into the foam.

This gets the lead as far forward as possible and when the foam cures there is no way it's going to move.

The foam is also usefull for filling cavities in composite construction to give added rigidity without adding weight.

John Agnew
Old 03-17-2005, 05:21 AM
Spartan Missile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nose weight tip

You can also use lead shot, from a shot gun catridge etc, and fix it down the end of the nose cone with a mix of silicone bath sealant.
The small lead shot balls will conform to any shape.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:53 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Nose weight tip

I use the shot ballast that is used for model boat keels. It is similar to spartan missiles idea. I measure the amount I need and mix it with epoxy to secure in place.

It's difficult to remove but has been good enough for me so far.