Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Reaper Elevon Servo Installation

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Reaper Elevon Servo Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 08:07 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reaper Elevon Servo Installation

I am almost at the point where I install the elevon servos in the wing of my Super Reaper. The standard location for the servo means that the control rod will be almost 30cm long. This seems quite excessive to me.

If you have built one of these, could you tell me if you have mounted the servos in the stock positions? If so, what control rods have you used?

If you have modified the position to move the servo closer to the elevon where have you routed the servo lead? Unless I gouge huge chunks out of the wing to attempt to get the lead to exit forward of the wing spar, it will exit in the engine bay!!

Finally, I chose the option of having the canard fixed to reduce complexity and weight. This is indicated as an option in the instructions but no mention is made of elevon control throws without canard assistance. If you have done this could you please let me know your elevon throws?

Thanks
Old 03-16-2005, 10:04 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Reaper Elevon Servo Installation

Mounted in the stock location.. 4-40 control rods slipped inside a tight fitting carbon fibre tube...very rigid that way....
Old 03-16-2005, 11:15 PM
B58
My Feedback: (43)

Stock location, carbon fiber pushrods. Suggest canards that move. Handles better and backup for elevator. Very simple so why not? don't worry about weight. This thing has a bunch of wing!
Old 03-17-2005, 03:04 AM
Propellars

My servoes are further back than to the original, and I drilled a 3 mm (1/8 inch) straight hole in the foam so the lead exist in front of the front wing tubes. I'll take a picture later to day, if you want.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:42 AM
turn and burn

servo in standard position.carbon rods from peter tindales in the u.k took the canards of as much movent as posible on high rates .
Old 03-17-2005, 04:00 AM
HenryRG

Let me agree with B58. To get your balance right, you will have to put some battery in the front let alone the servos. This model has a very efficient wing and will carry camera's, video recorders, GPS flight recorders, with virtually no trim change. If you are flying MW54 or more weight is not a problem.

I have used the carbon fibre rod system without problem or hassle for nearly two years (more than 200 flights).

The problem with this model is getting it down, particularly if you have a powerful engine with a high residual thrust Using a Jetcat P-80 and a conventional canard mode of control the model would only land on dead stick. It actually climbed on idle!

To get around this, keep your canards live but in slave mode. Set them in the same mode as the Eurosport ie with a 3 position switch on the tranny in 3 different trims.

1- for quick take off (positive angle of attack)
2- elevon only (neutral canard) to give gentle flying
3- for advanced aerobatics and safe landings free of bounce (negative angle of attack)

I had very poor control with 3Kg/cm elevon servos. A switch to Hitec digital mini (5.5Kg on 6volts) cured the problem. Full elevon movement (ie both controls) goes to about 45degrees.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:22 AM
Propellars

There is no reason to fix the canard, the airframe is very light, there is plenty of room even for retracts and the canard gives a good redundant system, where the lost of a winservo doesnt kill the jet.
At take off and slowflight the canard is very usefull.
I have, however, changed the controlsystem of the canard, to make direct rods to the controlsurfaces, and not the original bended-wire system. My Reaper goes with a 14.5 kg turbine (32lbs), so I like it strong.

My canard is setup with elevator and aileron movement mixed with the wing servoes.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:09 AM
geneh-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the servos in the stock location and used carbon push rods. They work fine and I have never had flutter on them.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:51 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

heh heh heh...glad to hear I'm not the only whose had problems with high residual thrust....There is a very fine line that I have managed to straddle. It glides great power off!
My buddy and I used full flying canards - They are extremely effective...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67120.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	245266  
Old 03-17-2005, 11:57 AM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Sorry I missed this thread when it started. Here is a picture of how I installed the wing servos.

Vist my site for more photos:

http://www.houstonhobbies.com/reaper/

and for setup tips

http://www.houstonhobbies.com/jets/s...er-reaper.html

JR Gautreaux
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27771.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	245270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49853.jpg
Views:	33