Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

tly purchased

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 07:47 AM
viflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tly purchased

I recently purchased some BMS 380 servos. Thought I would try some since they are light and have around 35ozs. of torque. I was assured by the vendor that they had had few returns with over 250,000 sold!

Well, I installed them and while working on the elevator adjustment I bumped the control surface and the top gear on the servo stripped. I couldn't believe it, figured it was a fluke. It has happened several times since and I am afraid to fly these things. Was wondering if anyone else has had problems with these servos????

Norm
Old 03-18-2005, 12:17 PM
bp2005

Default RE: tly purchased

Norm: Just curious what type of model and powerplant are you using ? Bob
Old 03-18-2005, 01:01 PM
viflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: tly purchased

They were set up in an E-Taco, which is the electric version of Paul Swanson's .25 Fat Free Taco.
I have to tell you I have used all kinds of Mini, Micro and Sub Micro servos and I have never seen the geartrain strip like this just by putting the smallest amount of pressure on a control surface!! Certainly one should avoid moving servo arms from the control surface end , but I have NEVER had this happen with another brand servo. I mean just adjusting linkages and pushing a bit can do it. I am not talking about stripping in the air. I have flown the servos and they have performed OK with no stripping, but I have to tell you they make me REAL nervous with hard full degree deflections I just don't understand why they are SO delicate if jarred or just moved in any way from the control surface end. Must be the rapid geardown to get to the speed and torque. Poor geartrain design??

Lived in Tuckerton for six years till I moved back to the VI. Don't miss the ticks, chiggers, greenheads, and deerflies at ALL!!!!