Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Trailer charging systems, how did you do yours?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Trailer charging systems, how did you do yours?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 08:28 AM
ben flyn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer charging systems, how did you do yours?

I want to re-wire my airplane trailer's electrical system, for both 110 and 12 volt. I already have a bank of 110 plugs and a 4ft fluorescent light. I want to charge airplanes and have interior lights (12v) without the auto hitched to it. How did you do yours? Do you have a 110 trickle charger for the 12v batteries or do you use a isolator on you auto to charge them?
Do you have pictures (no not in the trailer....of the trailer)? What DC plug-ins did you use? Anyone with refrigerators in their trailers?
Old 09-23-2002, 01:24 AM
cubfan

Default trailer power systems

Ben Fly'n
Have you thought about using a power inverter with a deep cycle battery? This way you would not have to put in two systems. You could also run a small fan at the field in the summer.
This is what I plan to do before next summer. My trailer is wired with plugs on each side and in the front,and a overhead light. I run a extension cord to it to charge my planes. (Thr trailer is also my hanger) It has a 12v battery to run a cooler and field chargers.
I just charge it when I charge the planes up.
Cubfan
Old 09-23-2002, 07:40 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Solar Panel

You can see some pics of my trailer here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...525#post333724

For the 12v, I have a built-in deep-cyle battery, plus I have a solar panel on the roof of the trailer. I have outlets (110v and 12v) throughout the trailer, and for the 12v side of things I have switches that allow me to select whether the 12 outlets in the trailer are supplied from the battery or the solar panel, or both.

I forget the brand of solar panel - I bought it form the trailer store when I ordered the trailer. It includes accessories to regulate the output for 12v charging. I is VERY effective, even though it's only about 3 square feet.

Gordonn
Old 09-24-2002, 12:31 AM
Blackie

Here are the pis of my trailer and how I wired it for elec.

My Trailer
Old 09-24-2002, 10:03 PM
ben flyn

Thanks for the replies!
Cubfan, What size is your invertor and how much did it cost?
I like the idea. Our LHS owner has one large enough to run monokote iron and etc. He has 3 group 27 deep cycle bateries.
He also has a swamp cooler and a mister too!
Gordon, How does you solar cells mount? and how much do they cost. What kind of amps do they produce?

Great replies!
Old 09-24-2002, 11:31 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Ben Fly'n
Gordon, How does you solar cells mount? and how much do they cost. What kind of amps do they produce?
There are 4 holes in the corners of the panel, to allow screws or bolts to hold the panel in place. Because I mounted it on a curved surface, I added some small stand-offs.

The panel is from ICP - see http://www.icpglobal.com for all the details. Mine is the BatterySaver Pro-kit 15w - you can get larger ones if you wish. I don't recall the cost, but I'm sure you could check the web page, or do a Google search for your chosen product, and find prices that way.

I've had my trailer for over a year, and never had to chareg the battery.

Gordon
Old 09-25-2002, 01:23 AM
cubfan

Default trailer power

Ben Fly'n
My invertor is a 1500w. It will run the wall wart chargers,and a overhead light. Have not tried a covering iron, but it should not be a problem. It does good with a box fan at the field too.
I got my invertor at no cost. I work for a major trucking company and we find then every now and then in trucks when a driver quits and leaves them in the truck. This is also where I got my 12v cooler.
Cubfan