Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

PIN POINT HINGES

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

PIN POINT HINGES

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 06:39 AM
RAPPTOR
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PIN POINT HINGES

BEST WAY TO GLUE ROBART PIN POINT HINGES?? C/A,EPOXY?? RD[]
Old 03-22-2005, 07:39 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PIN POINT HINGES

Here is a current open thread talking about this......

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_27...tm.htm#2787660
Old 03-22-2005, 12:40 PM
OverTheEdge
My Feedback: (1)

You will get several different answers to this... I just used them for the first time and went with 5min epoxy. Many will tell you poly glue, white glue, wood glue, canopy glue, 30min epoxy, 5min epoxy, etc etc etc... the poly glue sounds like a good idea since it expands but I didn't feel like babysitting it while it set-up to wipe off the foam that ooozzzes out. So I oiled the hinge, dabbed the 5min epoxy in both holes pressed it together waited 5min and I was done. They are solid. Only problem I see with this method is if you don't plan ahead or have some sort of problem while putting it all together you could be in deep doo doo... so if you think you'll need more time you might want to use 30min or one of the other glues.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:06 AM
the-plumber

I use [link=http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=34042]these epoxy syringes[/link] to inject 30 minute epoxy into the holes before slipping the hinge points in place.

30 minute epoxy gives you more than sufficient time to align the hinges.

Old 03-23-2005, 07:08 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pacer Hinge Glue works great. It expands the wood, which tightens it around the pin hinge, and when dry, it is tighter than you-know-who's hat band!

I've also used poly glue (Elmers brand) buit I agree it does take some experimentation and baby sitting to put the right amount into the hole and to keep it from foaming out all over the pivot point.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:24 AM
Kaos Rulz

Those syringes work great, but if you don't have one, try a soda staw. Pack as much epoxy into it as you can, then flatten the end and insert into the slot a squeeze out a small amount. You can do the same for drilled holes if using pin-point hinges; just match up the size of the straw to the drilled hole, or if the straw is over-sized, just firmly place over the hole and squeeze in what you need.

I like the larger diameter straws you get when you order a milkshake. It's easier to put the epoxy in the straw, but more importantly -- I like milkshakes!
Old 03-23-2005, 10:18 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ED STEFAN

Those syringes work great, but if you don't have one, try a soda staw. Pack as much epoxy into it as you can, then flatten the end and insert into the slot a squeeze out a small amount. You can do the same for drilled holes if using pin-point hinges; just match up the size of the straw to the drilled hole, or if the straw is over-sized, just firmly place over the hole and squeeze in what you need.

I like the larger diameter straws you get when you order a milkshake. It's easier to put the epoxy in the straw, but more importantly -- I like milkshakes!

I've used this method and have a word of CAUTION to all:

FINISH THE MILKSHAKE BEFORE USING THE STRAW FOR APPLYING EPOXY!

And for those of you who are wondering, no, it doesn't matter what flavor milkshake you use. I know it may be hard to beleave, but the flavor will not affect the cure rate or the strenght of the final bond.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:43 PM
Kaos Rulz

ORIGINAL: saramos

ORIGINAL: ED STEFAN

I've used this method and have a word of CAUTION to all:

FINISH THE MILKSHAKE BEFORE USING THE STRAW FOR APPLYING EPOXY!
[:@]