Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

BROWN PAPER AND WHITE CLUE COVERING

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

BROWN PAPER AND WHITE CLUE COVERING

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 06:07 AM
highflyer353535
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BROWN PAPER AND WHITE CLUE COVERING

HI I ONCE CAME ACROSS ON THE WEB AN ARTICLE OF A GENTLEMAN THAT USED BROWN PAPER AND WHITE GLUE TO COVER AN AIRPLANE AND FOR THE LIFE OF ME I CAN NOT FIND THE ARTICLE AGAIN IF ANYONE CAN POINT ME IN THE DIRECTION OF THE ARTICLE I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT THANKS
Old 02-16-2005, 07:34 AM
justrfb
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: BROWN PAPER AND WHITE CLUE COVERING

Hello Highflyer...
Look on RCWarbirds.com, under "bombers" about 4 or 5 down is Richard Brown from Australia, B25 Mitchell, electric powered. He covered with brown paper and glue. I hope this is what you are looking for...
Old 02-16-2005, 09:08 AM
jaka

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi!
There is nothing special about covering a foam wing and fuselage with paper...
First you must have a foam wing...and a Foam fuselage.
Then you must have eithet brown paper or just ordianary newspapper(which is lighter but not as strong).
Then you must have a glue to secure the paper onto the foam...either use white glue or aliphatic glue ....or glue for putting up wallpaper.
all of these work the same.
Remember that if you use white glue or aliphatic glue you have to thin it with 50% water or thereabout.

Here is how you do it!
Take the foam wing and brush on a heavy layer of thinned down glue...then put on the papper and be careful that all wrinkles are removed ...you do this by massaging the surface with your hand....!! Yeah real messy but that's the way it is. It is importnt that the surface(paper) gets real wet so brush on more glue/water to make the paper adhere well to the foam surface.
When you are satisfied let it dry overnight. Then do the other side of the wing.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 02-16-2005, 09:40 AM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

Try the AMA website at this address: http://www.modelaircraft.org/499_15.asp If that site won't come up do a search at the AMA page using the "Advanced Search" button for "Covering Foam Wings With Brown Paper."

There are quite a few articles out there on this covering method, especially in the British model literature. This one is a good summary on using white glue and brown paper to cover foam wings. Can also substitute thinned epoxy for the white glue but the weight goes up and really isn't any stronger.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:37 AM
kdc

There was an article in the 1980s in Radio Control Models and Electronics (English mag ) on covering a foam model of a Lancaster in brown paper and white glue by Chris Gold ( a well known modeller in England )

It is an excellent technique. The brown paper used is the type that is shiny on one side.The Pva glue is slightly diluted with water and some food colouring dye can be used to show where it is applied. After applying the brown paper to the foam the paper is coated with glue on the outside which dries to a hard shell. Foam components are then more like balsa in appearance and feel.
You can also cover foam wings with tissue and dilute PVA ( or use wallpaper paste diluted ) instead of using dope which could penetrate into the foam. Obviously you still need veneer or balsa covering too unless the wing has been designed with spars!
Try the techniques on some scrap material first.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:30 PM
kdc

An article on Brown paper covering on foam models was written by Chris Golds in Radio Control Models & Electronics July 1982 page 628 ( published in England by MAP -now called Highbury )
Another article by Chris Golds in RCME published in May 1983 page 379 showed the technique on his 90 inch span Lancaster plan No RC 1457

Chris mentions using Borden PVA and thinning with 30 % water and some red poster paint (artists paint ) to colour the glue. He advises putting PVA glue on both the foam and the brown paper. Also sealing the outside of the brown paper with thinned PVA to make a good surface for paint
Old 02-19-2005, 03:46 PM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

I thought I knew which article you were talking about. It had pictues with it, but then I remembered it was covering with cardboard and glue. Anyway, here's another article for you on brown paper & glue. HTH
[link]http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?sid=498277416&t=article&cat=201&id=3544[/link]
Old 02-19-2005, 08:53 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this has been my favorite building method for years and here's some tips:

if using brown paper over one of the stiffer, heavier extruded foams you don't need any wood for spars or leading edges. even newspaper over white beaded foam is strong enough if the wing is low aspect ratio with a thick airfoil

use yellow carpenters glue like elmers thinned 50/50, white glues end up a bit rubbery when dried and are hard if not impossible to sand at the seams

wet the paper, even soak it before putting it on the wing. the good brown kraft paper can be dipped in the bathtub and not come apart. when wet it expands and then tries to shrink back to it's original size while drying...this is the secret to a very taught, wrinkle free covering. this can also distort the shape of the wing so the type of paper should be matched to density of foam, brown over 1 lb. beaded foam can be tricky...

once the paper is on the wing you don't need any more coats of glue, let it dry, sand it and then seal it with whatever finish you're doing. i sometimes put light glass over the paper, makes a much stiffer, stronger and lighter wing than glass directly over the foam. if using something water based to seal/finish the paper you might see some wrinkles start to come out but they should go away once dry

dave
Old 02-19-2005, 10:02 PM
Lake Flyer
My Feedback: (13)

The best most detailed article I have seen on this was in Flying Models August 1999. Good luck, I've always wanted to try it but am to chicken
Old 03-24-2005, 03:55 PM
davidej

If you use brown paper that is matt one side and shiny the other, which side is applied to the foam and which side is out?
Old 03-25-2005, 09:02 PM
jettstarblue

Shiny side out.

I made a new cowl for my Spacewalker with brown craft paper and PVA flooring glue. Worked great. (kinda like paper mache')