Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever use Sig Coverall ?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Anyone ever use Sig Coverall ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Doug47
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever use Sig Coverall ?

Hey Guys,

While an experienced (about 17 yrs.) r/c pilot and builder, mostlt .60-1.20 warbirds, I 've never painted a whole model, always Ultra/Monokote.I've been thinking of coverall or similar, then painting an older plane after stripping off the old covering,sanding/prepping etc. I don't want to get into fiberglassing.
My first attempt will be olive drab top,gray bottom. I am not and never will be a scale master, not worried about panel lines,etc. I just want it to look good. I'll be applying decals too, and wondered about how and what to use for clear over them.
I'd really appreciate any feedback, including hints about removing old covering without requiring therapy.
Thanks a lot,
Doug
Old 04-03-2005, 06:18 PM
rctrax

Default RE: Anyone ever use Sig Coverall ?

I have used Sig Koveral on several occasions and it is very easy to use. First coat the airframe [only around the edgeswhere you will seal it down]. Then put the covering down just like any other covering tacking and sealing all around the edge. When both sides have been applied then you can shrink it up with either a heat gun or a sealing iron laying flat and working from one end to the other. It will shirk up drum tight and then put two coats of Nitrate dope on being careful not to get so much on as to cause it to form into droplets on the inside surface that will set up that way and be a blemish in your finish.Just light coats to fill the weave., Usually takes two coats. then favorate primer and finish. You can sand as you see fit to knock down the fibers that stand up and whatever it needs to make an aceptable finish
Old 04-03-2005, 06:21 PM
rctrax

I am sorry I forgot to say what to coat it with. Use balsarite or Sig sticksit. You can also use nitrate dope but that don't work as well.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:38 PM
Doug47
My Feedback: (24)

Hey thanks a lot for the input. I'm going to give it a go ! What do you do when the stuff has to overlap , do you just paint on the balsarite on the coverall that you are attaching it too , like when you wrap it around the wing leading edge,for instance ? What do you use to clean up the extra Balsarite that's on there then ?
I really appreciate the help. this will be a new one for me. Doug
Old 04-03-2005, 11:20 PM
Jigley3

Doug..

Here is a link which I generated with a search. You will find a a ton of info here... Cut and paste to your address bar and read away.

Bert

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/sear...mitbutton=+OK+