Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

how to taper the control surfaces

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

how to taper the control surfaces

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 06:29 PM
frager14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to taper the control surfaces

I'm repairing my hobbico superstar 40 and an aileron and the elevator control surfaces were completely destroyed. They taper off the further they get form the leading edge of the aileron and I was wondering how do do this.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:43 PM
roltech

Default RE: how to taper the control surfaces

I also have a Hobbico Superstar 40 but not sure what you want this is an ARF and those parts were already assembled , but you can e mail Hobbico [email protected] they may be able to tell you. if not I think you can purchase these parts from them. Just e mail them first and wait for reply. There may be others that has done this before??

roltech
Old 04-03-2005, 09:19 PM
frager14

I've crashed my plane and the aileron was destroyed.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:11 PM
the-plumber

ORIGINAL: frager14
I'm repairing my hobbico superstar 40 and an aileron and the elevator control surfaces were completely destroyed. They taper off the further they get form the leading edge of the aileron and I was wondering how do do this.
I doubt that you can buy just an aileron or elevator from Hobbico, so build a new aileron and elevator.

Measure the good aileron : length, width, and leading edge thickness. Surf to Tower Hobbies and look under "Wood" for aileron stock that is the same width and thickness, and at least as long as your aileron.

Do the same thing for the elevator.

Order the wood, or just get it from your LHS if you have one nearby.

Cut the aileron stock to length. Cut the old hinges off the wing, and cut new hinge slots beside the old hinges. Cut hinge slots in the aileron to match the new hinge slots in the wing T/E. Cover the aileron. Drill a hole where the aileron control rod goes (drill it straight). Attach the new aileron the same way you attached the original.

Do the same thing for the elevator.

Simple, huh ?
Old 04-04-2005, 06:40 AM
Kaos Rulz

Fred's got's ya heading in the right direction.

The taper you're looking for comes with the aileron stock that you'll be buying. Just take measurements from the original and purchase that size. Some ARF's will have a unique size that you can't buy perfectly matched from stock. If this is the case, purchase the next size larger, and cut/sand to the proper shape.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:05 PM
roltech

The same could be done with the destroyed elevator control surface which is one single piece.

roltech
Old 04-04-2005, 06:43 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the damaged ailerons are only snapped in half -- they can be easily glued back together with CA, then re-inforced with a bit of 1/32 balsa sheet laminated on both sides of the repair. It works very well & is stronger than the original (just a bit unsightly).