Community
Search
Notices
MVVS Support Get support from 3 qualified MVVS Forum Hosts. Dar Zeelon, representative from Israel. David Moen, representative from Canada. Pe Reivers, representative from Netherlands.

What is wrong with my 58

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 09:35 PM
teammsn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is wrong with my 58

I have a new 58 that will not start I have fuel coming out the carb where the choke plate is I checked for spark and it's fine. The line from the tank is connected to the black inlet tube at the side of the carb is that correct? Thanks for the help.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:49 PM
David_Moen

Default RE: What is wrong with my 58

Are you following the starting instructions in the manual? Choke closed, throttle open, ignition off, flip the prop 4 times to prime. Throttle to idle, choke still closed, ignition on, flip it again, it should pop and die on the 2nd or 3rd flip, open the choke, flip again and off it should go!

Yes fuel goes into the black, 90 degree fitting that is close to the throttle arm. Don't forget that the ignition will turn itself off automatically after 90 seconds if it does not see the prop moving. If you turn the ignition on an then for some reason spend 90 seconds fiddling with your TX or something you have to turn the ignition off and back on again.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:43 AM
teammsn

I did not know that after 90 seconds it shuts down that could be half the problem. I will try it again Thanks
Old 04-11-2005, 08:14 PM
teammsn

I tried it again and after 10-15 tries I got it to start. On every try I had to remove the spark plug and found it soaked of fuel.When it started,I had to keep the throttle on the upper range. If I tried even close to idle, it would flood and die. My low speed screw is one turn out from full clockwise. The high speed is one and three quarter out from full clockwise. Does clockwise lean it and counter clockwise richen it. Is the screw closer to the piston the low speed. Where does the tube from the crankcase go? Is it the fitting on the plate with the four screws or the one with the larger screw in the middle of the plate. Thanks again.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:39 PM
David_Moen

Could be that you are flooding the engine while priming it to start. Generally the Low speed needle (the one closest to the engine itself) should be 1 2/3 to 2 1/4 out from fully closed. Set BOTH needles at 2 turns out and see how that works. The clear tube connected to the nipple on the crank-case gets connected to the fitting on the carb closest to it - this is the fitting on the BOTTOM of the carb if the engine is held with the spark plug pointing up.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:11 PM
teammsn

I have the clear tube connected to the plate with four screws on each corner. The other nipple is on the plate with the largerscrew in the center. I can not remember if I turned the carb around.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:14 AM
teammsn

The clear tube to the crankcase was pluged in the wrong fitting. I will try again.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:09 AM
David_Moen

Yup, that will mess you up! The other fitting is a vent for the pump diaphram, it can be connected to a line running into the fuse of the airplane.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:49 PM
teammsn

Thanks again for the help the motor runs and starts perfect.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:03 AM
David_Moen

No problem, feel free to drop me a note if you need any further help!