Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Anybody flying an ISC 1 800 Collect?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Anybody flying an ISC 1 800 Collect?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 02:32 AM
gixxer01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody flying an ISC 1 800 Collect?

I have recently aquired an ISC 1 800 collect for FREE, still in the box!! Anyhow, I was looking for some input on building tips, what engine you were using, all up weight, flying habits, ANYTHING you have to offer. I was looking at installing a DA50 because of the light weight, but I have a nagging feeling that the plane might be too heavy, a BME 100 could be another alternative, especially because of the light weight. Thanks for the input...

Tim
Old 04-07-2005, 03:09 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Anybody flying an ISC 1 800 Collect?

Played with one this for a while, but it was along time ago. My recollection suggests it was heavy for the wing area. G62 powered and if recall around 18lbs. Flew OK for the wing loading and was capable of your basic stuff with ease.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:33 AM
edgeman55
My Feedback: (25)

I had one four years ago and like Mike's mine had a G-62.This was needed for CG.Mine was 20 lbs. and flew heavy.I would think a 3W 75 might be a good choice for power and nose wieght.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:01 PM
RCJake-rcu
My Feedback: (7)

em55,

I finished one powered with a G-62 with C&H Ignition which I sold to a friend who needed it more than I did. There is another in my club flying right now and they both fly fast, are groovy and land hot. One great thing about these bipes is that wind does not affect them as much as the newer, lighter versions of bipes that are out now.

Here are photos of the one I finished, which I names the "Screamin' Eagle Pitts".

Old 04-07-2005, 07:09 PM
jsnipes
My Feedback: (3)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I had one a while back. Good flyer but a little on the heavy side. Mine was a 2nd version which had lightening holes and was a few pounds lighter than my friends original version. His flew (barely) with a G62. Mine did well with a Brison 78cc twin.

Enjoy ... http://home.nc.rr.com/jamiesnipes/pitts.htm

Jamie
Old 04-07-2005, 10:38 PM
gixxer01

Well heck, if that is the case, a BME 110 on a 3 blade prop for clearance would be not a bad choice!? Were you guys running a pull pull on the rudder to put weight closer to the CG? The box is in the mail, have not received it yet, so I have not seen the airframe since he bought it in 1997(I think it was '97, maybe '98). If I am not mistaken the BME 110 is a 1/2# lighter than the G62. Besides, if I get the BME 110, that gives me a reason to get a Wild Hare Extra 260 when/if I plant this thing. Thoughts of hovering on 1/3 throttle sounds pretty cool... Who knows, once I get the box, I might change my mind. Besides that, what other suggestions would you guys have to make it lighter? Thanks.

Old 04-07-2005, 11:58 PM
johnnypilot

yes, the 1800 Collect Biplane that was mass produced by the fabulous ISC is one fine airplane. I highly recommend putting a Magnum .45 engine in it since anything less would be uncivilized. This plane is very fast, but like I have said in the past, If you can fly a Diamond Dust, you can fly an ISC aircraft! If you are not flying fast, stay at home!! Word from the wise. Peace out.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:39 AM
gixxer01

Well Johnnypilot, first let me start by saying that my name is not S. Smith, and I do not own a combat 40. If I mounted a .46 on that plane, it might as well be a fancy schmancy engine test stand, cause it ain't gonna move with that on it! Get out, I have to call my Grandmother!!
Old 04-08-2005, 07:47 AM
jsnipes

Gixxer,

The BME would be fine ... you'd have to modify the cowl like I did with the bumps for the spark plugs/caps. You would be much happier with that setup than the G62 of you're interested in any king of vertical performance.

The ISC does fly heavy so keep it light. Go with Duralite Li-Ion or similar to keep the weight down ... don't load it up with Nicads. Mine was not pull-pull and I had no problem balancing with the Brison which probably isn't quite as light as the BME but I believe is lighter than the G62. I put servos on all four ailerons ... I can't remember if they said to use a pushrod between the ailerons and just use two servos or not. I was very happy with the roll authority with my setup.

The plane is not too good at precision aerobatics, although things like point rolls are not too much of a problem once you get the pitch/roll coupling mixed out. It does tumbling maneuvers very well ... once it winds up you just have to sit there and wait for it to bleed off the energy and stop tumbling. REALLY COOL looking with smoke on!

Take offs will be ballisic with the BME ... don't forget the rudder though! Landing is not that bad ... you don't want to get too slow as with most any higher drag bipe. Just keep a few clips of throttle in it until you're over the runway and starting to flair and you'll be fine. My buddy had a couple deadsticks with his G62 and all I can say is do all you can to prevent deadsticks! It glides like a brick. If you're very far from the field at all you're not getting back ... not trying to scare you, just telling you the way it is!

Oh ... take a look at how the cabanes mount into the fuse ... you may want to strengthen that area with some glass or carbon fiber.

Have fun with it ...

JS
Old 04-24-2005, 12:22 PM
Swat Cop
My Feedback: (11)

I have the BME 110 with a three blade prop on my new biplane and it Rocks!! There is some video of it on flight #3 on my website http://hometown.aol.com/bike466/index.html WOW! don't know what happened with the pics, they are huge but scroll right to see all of them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34158.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	262347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49984.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	262348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23912.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	262349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13295.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	262350  
Old 04-24-2005, 03:05 PM
gixxer01

Kevin, is that an ISC kit? I only ask because you say it is new for you, and they have not made the kit for a year or 2. Unless somebody had it sitting around and you acquired it... Anyhow, nice plane. how does it fly?

Tim
Old 04-24-2005, 06:33 PM
jsnipes

Gorgeous bipe, but doesn't look like an ISC to me...

JS
Old 04-25-2005, 12:39 AM
Swat Cop
My Feedback: (11)

No its not an ISC its a modified Miles Reed Weeks Solution X, powered by a BME 110. I bought the airframe last summer and didn't like the covering so I stripped it down to the bare bones, cut 3" off each wing tip and cut out the turtle deck and rebuilt it, then recovered the whole plane in a Jim Leroy "Bulldog" scheme. I also added the cowl from a H9 Cap 232 which looks very similar to the cowl on the Goldberg 30% Ultimate or the 42% Godfrey Ultimate cowl. The plane flys great!! You can see the pics of what it looked like when I started on my website

http://hometown.aol.com/bike466/index.html
Old 04-25-2005, 02:42 AM
gixxer01

That's pretty cool that you did some kit bashing. The plane will fly a little faster now. The last time I kit bashed something, I did not glue my hinge points in good enough on my ailerons, and did not tug on them after assembly. I just glued it and flew. anyhow, said aileron came 3/4 the way off and hung there, binding up the aileron servo and create drag. ended up with a 50' drop straight down onto concrete. Too bad for me cause I had a potential customer standing right next to me to purchase said plane.

BTW, I elected not to build the ISC, am looking at an Airwild 35% Edge since the wife is buying me a DA100 for my Bday in June.

Tim
Old 04-25-2005, 10:07 AM
RCJake-rcu
My Feedback: (7)

So Tim...how much for the ISC Pitts?

Jake

Old 04-27-2005, 02:50 AM
gixxer01

Jake, you have 2 PM's

Tim