Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

TOP GUN 2% RULE EXPLAINED

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

TOP GUN 2% RULE EXPLAINED

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 07:47 AM
FTiano
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TOP GUN 2% RULE EXPLAINED

Hi guys,

First of all let me say that John Christensen hit it right on the head when he said that it is most difficult to "Explain" a rule here. Too long and noblody reads its entirety. Too short and we don't have enuf information!

With that in mind, All I am asking is that you keep an open mind and I will explain the rule as quickly as I can.

First of all, Top Gun was introduced as a contest that would allow ANY model aircraft to compete fairly. Rules were establishjed to insure this. It was never meant to be dominated by any type of aircraft. Like it or not, that was the concept.

We have tracked and logged 16 years of flight and static scores. They "Prove" that Tricycle landing gear, 25 pound and over, Composite winged models have an advantage. They have an advantage in static scoring, since their surfaces are true, they have no grain or weave showing, and, they have an advantage on the flight line by producing straighter takeoffs and landings and they handle any sort of wind, cross winds too, better than the typical tail dragger. Assuming, of course, that the pilot isn't a total Goof. Again, that's a fact.

It is also a fact that many Jet Jocks seem to practice a whole lot more than their competitors and in general take the event more seriously. But that's an other issue! Nothing to do with the rule!

Composite components fit "Perfectly"! There is no chance of having incorrect washout, incidence or decalage. They have tried and proven internal structures to keep the construction in tact and help prevent flutter. And almost all of these type kits come from a proven design. It is very easy, with a wooden kit, to get the wing saddle incorrect, mount the stab wrong, have the fin off center etc. Not an excuse for poor modeling, but there is that chance. Not so with pre-molded components in most cases. So, we have a better chance of getting higher awards for "Craftsmanship" as well.

When it came time to apply the 2% "knock", we applied it to the flight score because if we applied it to the static score, it would actually be a greater penalty. Taking 2% of a high static of 98 would mean that the 2% remained as a factor throughout every round of compeition. 2% of a flight score would be varied, since some scores are 95 and others are 88.

Keep this in mind. Forget flying for a moment. There are a number of pilots at Top Gun that are incapable of actually building an aircraft that requires cutting wood, sanding beveled edges, installing formers, constructing a wood wing of ribs and spars, installing fuselage planking, fiberglassing and then gearing up the modeel with electronics. They are very capable individuals in other arenas, but thay are not "old time" modelers. This is where the all composite model has found its home. And that is just fine. Modelers that do build, actually enjoy it, nobody forced them to do it. And that is fine as well.

Because Top Gun wishes to remain a contest where any model has a fair chance of competing, we are looking for ways to "Level the Playing Field" on a yearly basis. We really don't want to penalize anyone! Perhaps it is more equitable to award a 2% "bonus" to a taildragger. Or maybe it is fair to make an all Jet class. Or, the only solution might be to have all pilots practice a bit more and get familiar with their modles as many other pilots do. Perhaps that is all we need. I do not know, but I do know that I want to keep Top Gun an event that features many types of aircraft. If Jets or anything else became so dominating that nothing else has a chance, it will have lost its luster.

I am open to any and all suggestions. My email is [email protected]
Old 05-04-2005, 09:31 AM
Lt. Dan
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: TOP GUN 2% RULE EXPLAINED

Frank,

I think the idea of creating new categories might have merit. A Jet category would be a great idea in my opinion.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:51 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

an all jert category would be fine but how would you incorporate that back into the rest of the categories. I guess what I am saying is that I wouldnt like to see a "Mr Jet Top Gun" or a "Mr. Civilian Aircraft Top Gun" or a "Mr Military Aircraft Top Gun". Having indidvidual categories is fine but there can still only be one Mr Top Gun. Leveling the field will always be an on going project. As tastes and technology change so does the type of aircraft. Frank by doing what you are doing your contest is responsive to the trends in t he hobby. Keep up the good work , I am truelly surprised to see that you guys are tracking this info. Could you post some of your findings and those things that alot of us would be surprised to know?
Old 05-04-2005, 10:31 AM
diceman
My Feedback: (10)

Having just reviewed the results of TG05 scoring we should all find the folliwng facts interesting. In the top three catagories Masters, Expert and Team only 15 of the top 45 were jets, roughly 1/3. When you consider that jets in the team division which is somewhat a "hired gun" situation, one would expect more jets, possibly.

Masters 2 jets out of the top 15

Expert 7 jets out of the top 15

Team 6 jets out of the top 15

Propeller dirven aircraft dominated the competition, and "Mr. Top Gun" was won by a prop plane (actually two props). Many of the special achievement awards also went to prop driven planes.

It's certainly not a perfect world, but it's seems to be pretty good just the eay it is.

Old 05-04-2005, 11:40 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: diceman

Having just reviewed the results of TG05 scoring we should all find the folliwng facts interesting. In the top three catagories Masters, Expert and Team only 15 of the top 45 were jets, roughly 1/3. When you consider that jets in the team division which is somewhat a "hired gun" situation, one would expect more jets, possibly.

Masters 2 jets out of the top 15

Expert 7 jets out of the top 15

Team 6 jets out of the top 15

Propeller dirven aircraft dominated the competition, and "Mr. Top Gun" was won by a prop plane (actually two props). Many of the special achievement awards also went to prop driven planes.

It's certainly not a perfect world, but it's seems to be pretty good just the eay it is.

What would the placing be if it were NOT for the 2% penalty?
Old 05-04-2005, 01:11 PM
diceman

I believe the BVM F-100 was only jet ship the 2% would apply to. There were a hand full of these in the meet.

Masters class -0- diference.

Expert class 1 -0- difference three others would have finished one or two spots lower.

Team class #'s 3 & 4 would have finished 4 & 5.

Very little difference.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:24 PM
dribbe

I feel I would loose a lot of interest in Top Gun if I had to compete in a 'Jet Class', and could not compete in "Masters" where I feel my 'comrades' are. A 'Masters Jet' class would be too small to be interesting or carry any prestige.
I think a jet class may cause fewer jets to show up, as people will feel the are not in the real show.

Scores at the top are very close, regardless of Jet or Prop. I think the 2% rule will continue to largely drive away the 'Composite' kits..... This is problably OK in the long run... I doubt guys like Terry will ever show up with a composite jet again!

David
Old 05-04-2005, 04:28 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Did this same 2% penalty apply to Scott Russell/Wayne Siewart's all composite P-47 in Team Scale?
Old 05-04-2005, 07:16 PM
mr_matt

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I heard that prebuilt wings for the BVM F-86 may become available :-)
Old 05-04-2005, 07:22 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Composite components fit "Perfectly"! There is no chance of having incorrect washout, incidence or decalage. "

I think there are some FiberClassics owners who might beg to differ! But that's besides the point...