Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

3 speed tranny

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 10:57 AM
Philster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3 speed tranny

Would this be nice for me:

Lose my .21 (send back to HP and upgrade to the .25 for $99) and drop in the 3-speed?

Or should I keep the 2-speed and go for an even bigger motor (which might get more expensive than the $99 motor upgrade w/ 3-speed tranny).

I site here with a .21, and now that the 3-speed is out, I think, "Hmm...should I jump all over the HPI trade-in for 99 bucks and grab a 3-speed with my new $99 .25 engine?" Does that become a good bargain, instead of going out and dropping a huge chunk on JUST a different non HPI engine?

The 3-speed tranny has forced me to think. Ideas?
Old 03-10-2005, 11:54 AM
ed260z

Not sure what the actual ratio is, but according to HPI it will have a; 10% lower 1st and a 10% higer top gear.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:08 PM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Philster

Would this be nice for me:

Lose my .21 (send back to HP and upgrade to the .25 for $99) and drop in the 3-speed?

Or should I keep the 2-speed and go for an even bigger motor (which might get more expensive than the $99 motor upgrade w/ 3-speed tranny).

I site here with a .21, and now that the 3-speed is out, I think, "Hmm...should I jump all over the HPI trade-in for 99 bucks and grab a 3-speed with my new $99 .25 engine?" Does that become a good bargain, instead of going out and dropping a huge chunk on JUST a different non HPI engine?

The 3-speed tranny has forced me to think. Ideas?
To be honest, I wouldn't pay 100 bucks for the .25 without a trade-in... for $120-140 there are WAAAAAAAY better engines available.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:13 PM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

ed260z replied ...
... according to HPI it will have a 10% lower 1st and a 10% higer top gear.
Cool - regardless of which engine used, that should give an awesome improvement in overall performance! Thanks for the info. My 3-spd tranny is on the Tower back order list - can't wait to get it!

Mike
Old 03-10-2005, 12:40 PM
ed260z

I've got mine on Back order as well. And with the 2 speed my Collari makes some impressive speed with 48/16 gearing. With the 3 speed I'll probably need to gear it up to keep from flipping on it's lid.

I have'nt actually put a gun to my truck, but it looks as if it does 45mph easily. with just adding a 3 speed it will be just under 50mph.

Although I'm more interested in it's low end grunt than top speed. I get all warm and fuzzy inside; When I spank the heck out of my buddies running those Revo's and Maxx's. LOL
Old 03-24-2005, 11:57 PM
ed260z

This is a Press release from HPI on the 3 speed.
http://www.hpiracing.com/press/pr87218-220.htm
Old 04-08-2005, 12:09 PM
1Eye

Tower Hobbies (on my back order) is now (06 May) reporting a *mid* May date ... argggghhhh []

Mike
Old 05-17-2005, 07:35 PM
1Eye

FINALLY! Tower shipped my back-ordered 3-spd. trans. I hope HPI got it right. [8D] They must've received only enough to handle some or most back orders as the item still shows up as "Late May Delivery" on their parts website.

Mike
Old 05-17-2005, 08:09 PM
crazysavage

I got my 3 speed a week ago and set it up with a 47 tooth spur gear and an 18 tooth bell. The Diablo .28 had to stretch it,s legs a little for the first two feet but it got up on the pipe pretty quick and it was wickedly fast. I have my savage shaved down to be very light and i run four buggy shocks so it is quite light. After shifting into second gear, the truck was gobbling up the track at an alarming rate and I flew right through the 3foot high berm under full lock steering. With alittle slip, the high gearing was very usable and third gear made me clear our triple jump by 15ft. I just kept beating the heck out of the truck and running up and down through the gears with a smile from ear to ear. Yes I will gear down alittle for more realistic control of this beast but the tranny shifted perfectly. It took a tremendous beating(i smoked two spur gears and shattered a front cvd)and it just would not brake. HPI got this one right!!!!!!