Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

solartex

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 03:26 PM
dbriley
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default solartex

i just bought a vk fokker already put together but never flown .it needs to be sealed to be fuel proof but heres the problem all the wood and flying wires are installed can i get some kind of polyurathane in a spray can to seal it? any help would be welcome thanks.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:37 PM
Campy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: solartex

ORIGINAL: dbriley

i just bought a vk fokker already put together but never flown .it needs to be sealed to be fuel proof but heres the problem all the wood and flying wires are installed can i get some kind of polyurathane in a spray can to seal it? any help would be welcome thanks.
Colored SolarTex is fuel proof.

I would still recommend clear coating the plane though. SolarTex has a fairly open weave that collects dirt and grime, and once in there is next to impossible to get out.

You have several options for clear coating.

LusterKote clear (I do not like it because it "spits" a lot, and I do not like the way it "lays".)

Ultracote clear (I have had no problems with it )

Oil base polyurethane (Minwax has it in spray cans - gold/copper color label)
The down side to oil base poly is that it will yellow after about 6 - 8 months. It is barely noticeable on darker colors, but quite noticable on white and other light colors. One of the gentlemen at my field uses the oil base because he feels it give the plane an "antique" look in a few months. The plus side is that it is FUEL PROOF.

Water base polyurethane (Minwax has it in spray cans - blue label )
While oil base poly is fuel proof, water base poly is fuel RESISTANT. As long as you let it cure for about a week before exposing it to fuel and fuel residue AND clean your planes at the end of the day you will be OK. If you leave the residue/crud on overnight it will soften the poly. The BIG PLUS to water base poly (besides being lighter in weight ) is that it DOES NOT YELLOW.

FWIW - I primarily use the water base poly for clear coating. I clean my planes at the end of the day so that problem is removed (I have noticed that the water base seems to become more fuel resistant as it ages ). What I like about the poly is that I can select the "degree of shine" I want. The poly will not get to monokote shine, however a semi gloss is very close to the amount of shine found on a WWII warbird. I think a satin would be about right for a WWI warbird.

Hopes this helps.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:20 PM
dbriley

thanks alot . the fokker is colored in red so i think i will use the satin. i was also wondering with the fabric not being sealed as to how much air lose would occur this is my first plane with solortex i have a sig 1\4 scale j-3 cub but i used sig coverall
Old 05-19-2005, 06:47 AM
Campy

I wouldn't worry about the air loss.

I have used SolarTex and Coverite Fabric on several of my fabric covered planes.

The SolarTex is lighter in weight than the Coverite. I did 2 identical 40 - 60 size planes - one in SolarTex and the other in Coverite. Both airframes were within 1/4 oz of each other. The SolarTex plane was about 3 1/2 oz lighter in weight than the Coverite plane.

Solar Tex has held up well for me. It is as strong and puncture resistant as Coverite.

Here is a pic of the plane I was reffering to. It is a FW-56 (Sorry, I didn't have the exhausts on when I took the photo)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22693.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	273528  
Old 05-19-2005, 01:14 PM
dbriley

that is a nice airplane what is it?
Old 05-19-2005, 04:44 PM
Campy

It is a Focke Wulfe 56 (FW - 56 Stosser ). It was used as a primary trainer for the Lufftewaffe during WWII and also as a "Home Defense Plane". Made from 1933 - 1940.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:16 PM
dbriley

i bet she fly's good with the high wing i almost have my 1\4 scale cub ready to fly im tired of the small fast planes im ready for big and slow
Old 05-20-2005, 10:32 AM
Campy

I have gotten rid of just about all of my big planes. They were becoming too much of a hassle with transporting and setup at the field. Besides, I can build and set up 2 small planes (40 - 60 size ) for what it costs for one 1/4 scale job.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:51 PM
dbriley

you got that right i'll have 800 bucks tied up in my cub. its almost done im gettin ready to start painting and i have to break in the new engine . i splurged an bought a magnum 120 4 stroke so we will see how it runs all i have ever used where 2 strokes