Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

KingCat Smoke System info

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

KingCat Smoke System info

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 01:31 AM
FLYBOY2000
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KingCat Smoke System info

Hey all you KC owners.
I was wondering how you installed the smoke system on the King Cat. I'm thinking of the TamSmoke system and wanted to know where /what smoke tank setup you were using. Pictures would be Grrreaat!

Thanks again,
s.a. Leo

Old 05-07-2005, 05:47 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: KingCat Smoke System info

Leo,
Here's what you do...buy the 50oz tank pictured below from Gerhart at Aircraft Intl (the guy that sells 3W engines), and it will fit perfectly in the aft section of KC as pictured. This location is also very close to the CG. You can mount the TAM pump like I did in the picture or some guys are just placing it on top of the center tank with a piece of velcro. A small header tank in the system will keep the smoke from interupting during negative G and extreme maneuvers but not absolutely necessary. Pinch down the end of the nozzles to get a "fan" spray pattern. Then let her rip!

Craig
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59160.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	268113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11496.jpg
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	268114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31034.jpg
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	268115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99465.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	268116  
Old 05-07-2005, 10:00 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Your going to have fun! Smoke is really neat.

Name:	Hf10025.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	268201  
Old 05-07-2005, 10:34 AM
PHIL NUZA
My Feedback: (19)

Here is a shot of a mega smoke pump and you can see the 32oz smoke tank nicely stuffed behind the mains.

Name:	Ur52398.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	268210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49937.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	268211  
Old 05-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Gerald Rutten

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi All,

I notice the tendence to use a seperate pump for the smoke fluid, what about the pressure system where the tank gets pressurized by turbine air as is suggested by AMT on their site??? (also saw others doing this in the past but never had any reactions on that)

Gerald
Old 05-07-2005, 03:27 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Gerald, I've used the pressure system off the propane line with a solenoid and check valve. Works awesome! Plus the added POOF when the propane kicks off after you are out of smoke

I've not done it off turbine pressure.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:24 AM
Gerald Rutten

I also think this could work flawlessly and has some benefits over the pump pressurized system:

- Very easy to install
- No need for weight adding pump + additional batteries (Hence more power left for those vertical climbs..!)
- No possible additional source of radio interference
- Less costs

Only disadvantage could be the pressurized tank, all lines need to be adequately secured , but that also counts for the pressure side of the pump.

Seanreit, do you have an extra channel for this purpose on your ECU? I´m thinking of installing this system in my Avonds F16, should be fun!

Gerald
Old 05-08-2005, 05:28 AM
Gerald Rutten

Do you have any pictures of your installation Seanreit!

Tnx,
Gerald
Old 05-08-2005, 06:48 AM
seanreit

I don't have any pictures of it, as I recall I just followed the instructions in the jetcat manual, they show a pretty detailed drawing. You will need an additional solenoid valve hooked up to aux two of the radio throug the ECU. At least if you are doing it with a Jetcat.

I used a converted Powermax can into a smoke oil storage tank. It holds up well to the pressure. If you think about it, a powermax can is something around 20 to 40 PSI . Which means your smoke tank will be subject to at least some of that pressure depending on how you plumb, it will be the propane pressure minus what you are bleading off through the smoke tubes, regardless, I'm not sure a standard fuel tank will hold up to that, but it might.

Anyway, it's basically just a T off the propane pressure side, through a check valve, into the vent of the smoke tank, out the smoke tank, into a solenoid, and out to the Tubes.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:12 AM
sc0tt
My Feedback: (61)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: seanreit
I've not done it off turbine pressure.
I believe you are doing it with turbine pressure (bleed air) by being T'd into the start gas line on the Jetcat.

Once the turbine is running some case pressure tries to exit thru the start gas line, but the start valve stops it like a check valve. Adding a T & valve allows the smoke tank to pressurize when switched on. But keep in mind that when turned on it takes a little bit to build up pressure in the smoke tank and when turned off smoke still exits until tank pressure bleeds off. When the smoke tank is empty, the start gas tank can empty - thus the "poof" at the end.

What I'd like to know is why do so many people use TAM's system?
Is it because a pump turns the smoke on/off immediately & does not empty the start gas tank?
Is it worth the extra weight?

Thanks...Scott

Old 05-08-2005, 11:56 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

[/quote]

What I'd like to know is why do so many people use TAM's system?
Is it because a pump turns the smoke on/off immediately & does not empty the start gas tank?
Is it worth the extra weight?

Thanks...Scott

[/quote]

Yes to all the above and at least as importantly...it works. In a King Cat the extra weight is negligible, just the pump and a small 700 Mah 6 cell pack, and minor compared to the weight of the smoke oil itself.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Gerald Rutten

In accordance with AMT schematics on their website the switch/oil valve is positioned between tank and spray nozzle, keeping tank pressure the whole flight to +20 psi (Turbine casing pressure) I see no reason why this system wouldn´t switch on/off instantly?

I rather have only this valve carried instead also the additional battery and pump which could introduce another risk in radio noise and failure.

I agree on the negligible weight gain on the larger models as the KingCat. On smaller models this could be an advantage though. For example my Avonds F15 sits in about 24 lbf take-off weight whereas I also know some Avonds F15´s with loads of nice additional stuf weighing +35 lbf (!!) at take-off. Could be a difference if both aircraft carries a 19 lbf thrust turbine.....

regards,
Gerald
Old 05-08-2005, 05:30 PM
sc0tt
My Feedback: (61)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gerald R

In accordance with AMT schematics on their website the switch/oil valve is positioned between tank and spray nozzle, keeping tank pressure the whole flight to +20 psi (Turbine casing pressure) I see no reason why this system wouldn´t switch on/off instantly?
I stand corrected, after rechecking Jetcat's schematics the valve is positioned like AMT's - thus no delay.
Sorry for any confusion. I must have been thinking of an early RAM system [:'(]

Old 05-08-2005, 07:13 PM
seanreit

I never thought about it, I guess it could very well be case pressure. I just distinctly remmeber propane going POOF when I was out of smoke. It was instantaneous every time, and I still have the whole getup in my garage.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:52 PM
Jack Holland
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Guys,
I offer a epoxy kevlar/glass smoke tank for the KC. It holds right at 1/2 gallon. Nestles in between the conformals. Comes built with BVM hardware, and pressure checked-NO LEAKS now or later. email for info to [email protected] or leave a message at 956-565-1584.

Jack
Old 05-27-2005, 03:48 PM
pjacq
My Feedback: (72)

I just got a 93oz smoke tank from Gary Muller for a king cat vary nice tank and fits like a glove.

Paul Jacques

Name:	Vt56459.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	277173   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22406.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	277174