Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Do you fly electric and what is it?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Do you fly electric and what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 06:30 PM
Ju87BStuka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you fly electric and what is it?

Oh dear,

I wish I'd never started this. Let's hope that this calms everyone down and closes it off.

Let's say I've had two rounds of starting to learn heli's.
In the first round I did a few things right but I did the main things wrong. Right things was I bought the heli already set up, so I thought, bought a few books and videos, tried a simulator or two.
The real things were the things I did wrong. They were, assume that the heli was set up correctly, secondly not joining a club so that someone could check it over and educate me what setting one up was all about, third not joining a club so that I had advice and encouragement. I tried to teach myself coming straight of fixed wings in a vacuum. This round was with the Eco. I failed.

The second round was with the Caliber. It was set up by the model shop, but as a precaution, I had it double checked. Good job too, since it wasn't.. set up that is. To such a degree that it was almost impossible to fly by a registered instructor and examiner. I'd have flown it, or tried to, crashed it and put it down to pilot error. I joined a club and got advice and encouragement.
The Caliber is now very steady, predictable and I'm gaining a lot of stick time. I haven't crashed it once and no repairs following 30 flights.

Moral 1a: get someone independent to check out the model.

The main moral of the tail is:-

If you're learning, join a club, get whatever it is sorted and set up. Listen to advice on learning, and buy something that has got endurance and stability so you build stick time with sufficient strength that can endure the inevitable less than ideal handling that a learner needs.

I learned the hard way. Round 1 didn't observe that.
No doubt the Eco is a great little heli, as are all the other electrics, and perhaps if I had it set up, I'd have had greater chance of succeeding first time round.

Let's now close this off, we fly what we prefer, someone asked for opinions and observations, and understandably, some observations may be interpreted as provocative.
Enjoy
Old 10-19-2002, 01:22 AM
E-gpeden

Hi Carlo,
"'m sorry, but I must take issue with this statememnt"

Hehe, well I guess that was a bit rash What I was referring to though, was that apparently one has to do a lot of work getting the linkages and ball links to work smoothly AND that the stock ECO is the most "upgrade-worthy" of them all

ju87bstuka, lighten up - there's nothing heavy happenin' here I'm sorry if I sounded harsh.

Cheers!
Old 10-19-2002, 01:29 AM
Eco8gator

Hello Glen

I was just playing as well but throwing in a little extra to spice it up. I knew Glen would think it was a little funny

You are right the Eco 8 is a definitally an upgrade worthy machine. I had them all, LOL but it sure flew really well with all of them. The only upgrade I think the Eco 8 really needs is the aluminum swash, one way, tail servo mount, and Warren's frame stiffner, and Warren's thrust bearing set. Other than that put good electonics and blades in it and it flys really well.

The Logo 20 on the other hand need no upgrades, but it cost more. The Logo 10 is pretty nice too and it looks to need no upgrades(Im speaking of the version with thrust bearings, and a one way), but I would still purchase the aluminum swash just because.

Carlo