Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Fuel Tank Vent Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 11:06 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Tank Vent Pipes

I remember a little tip I read somewhere here about running the tank vent line in a particular way so as to stop fuel venting out both in flight and whilst moving the model around on the ground.

I think the tip was to run strap the line on top of the tank, off the back and then down and out the fuse bottom.

Just wanted to know how well this works in practice?

Thanks,
Mark

PS Can you also please settle an argument - filling a DA-50 powered model through a T-piece in the fuel line to the carb will not flood the engine as it would with a glow engine will it due to the pump in the carb?
Old 05-31-2005, 12:15 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Tank Vent Pipes

Filling any gas engine with a pumped type of carb (Walbro, Tillitson, Zama, etc) through a "T" WILL NOT flood the carb. Period.

Running the vent line from the front of the tank, then looping the line back behind the tank and then again forward will lessen the fuel loss when the plane is in flight or tipped forward on the ground. It doesn't seem to matter much if the vent line goes over the tank or to the side of it. You're just making a "trap".
Old 05-31-2005, 12:50 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Filling with a T won't flood it, but it can weaken or destroy the diaphragm if you have a high pressure pump or a hand driven, unregulated pump.

3W strongly recommends NEVER to pressurize the feed line to fill the tank. Most of the larger 3W's have tillotsons.
I always run a 3-line tank setup and run two small coils in the vent line to prevent excessive leakage (you'll never stop it completely unless you have a closed system)

DP
Old 05-31-2005, 12:55 PM
schroedm

Thanks guys.

Mark

PS See Simon - told you. You owe be a beer
Old 05-31-2005, 10:20 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

Filling with a T won't flood it, but it can weaken or destroy the diaphragm if you have a high pressure pump or a hand driven, unregulated pump.

3W strongly recommends NEVER to pressurize the feed line to fill the tank. Most of the larger 3W's have tillotsons.
I always run a 3-line tank setup and run two small coils in the vent line to prevent excessive leakage (you'll never stop it completely unless you have a closed system)
I've never heard this in any of the fuel tank arguements on RCU. Don't you hate it when you keep hearing things that will cause you work?
Old 05-31-2005, 10:26 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

I don't think this is an issue on Walbro carbs. Before you go tearing apart your fueling setup PM RCIGN1 see what he says, or ask him to comment on this thread. I am only iterating what the 3W manual states. It may be fine on DA, etc.

DP
Old 06-01-2005, 09:01 AM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

Cool. Wilco.