Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

SIMJET QUESTION

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

SIMJET QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 05:30 AM
teg-1
My Feedback: (336)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIMJET QUESTION

I am thinking about the simjet 1200 with 18LBS of thrust,
I would like any feedback on these engines good or bad from actual users, such as reliablity, service and such.
thanks..........JOHN CLEVENGER
[email protected]
Old 06-10-2005, 05:59 AM
RAPPTOR
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SIMJET QUESTION

ORIGINAL: heli4me

I am thinking about the simjet 1200 with 18LBS of thrust,
I would like any feedback on these engines good or bad from actual users, such as reliablity, service and such.
thanks..........JOHN CLEVENGER
[email protected]
I HAVE HAD SEVERAL,, ALL ARE GOOD ..SUPER THROTTLE CURVE,, YOU WONT BE DISAPIONTED,,RD
Old 06-10-2005, 07:04 AM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

I dont think very many people have the 18lb version yet.
Maybe 3 last time I asked.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:13 AM
Vampire
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

John:

I have operated SIMJET-1200 S/P's for 2 years and have had little issue with them. They have proven to be as reliable as any other brand of equivalent size and thrust and have demonstrated very good throttle response and are fuel efficient.

The only issue to date has been (1) failed fuel pump and that was rectified by GNM in 2 days as pumps are plug and play and more serious service can range from several days to several weeks such as crash damage and is performed at Great Northern Models in Milton, Ontario.

While I am a SIMJET sales/technical representative, I'm still a CUSTOMER and END USER first and I, like everyone else greatly dislikes anything that adds any level of frustration to my jet flying. I, like other jet modelers, no matter what the brand name have had issues in the field from time to time with an engine but they have not been major, where quickly resolved and overall, the ops of the 1200 S/P has been very good.

It is nice to report as well that these engines are now being supplied with a LiPo ECU battery and Charger.

I will defer the subject of delivery and service to Ed or Kim at GNM as I'm not involved in the day to day ops of GNM.

If you wish to discuss your interests in greater detail, please call me or send me a PM.

Best Regards:

Old 06-10-2005, 07:32 AM
Gary Arthur
My Feedback: (29)

I am currently running a Simjet 2300(Todd's old engine from his roo), 1200 and a 700. I bought the 2300 and the 1200 used, but bought the 700 new.

All three engines have been working great. I too had an issue with a fuel pump on the 1200. They used to have a flightworks 100 pump but have swithced to the flightworks 200. No problems since.

The throttle response time and fuel economy are very good.

I go to the field to fly and dont give the engines much thought as they always start and run fine.

My 2300 and 1200 both have the Simjet D2 ECU, the 700 has the FADEC.

Old 06-10-2005, 07:45 AM
tcblr
My Feedback: (3)

Hi John,

I have one and have owned another 13lbs 1200. I think it's a great engine and Only problem I ever had on any of my Simjets was a failed thermocouple which a replacement was sent out with just a phone call. Service from Great Northern Models has been great. If I had to do it all over again I would buy another.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:05 AM
F106A

I've got a 2300 and it runs great. My only issue is having to unplug the ECU battery every time you have to charge the battery. A real pain in the butt.
There must be some kind of fix to reolve this so I can charge through a charge plug. Plugging and unplugging after every flight can't be doing the plug/wire connections any good.
BRG,
Jon
Old 06-10-2005, 08:35 AM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

Simjets are great engines no doubt.

But I think the original question is about the 18lbs. 1200 in particular.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Pete S-RCU

I have two Simjets, a 2300 and a 1700.
I charge both without disconnecting the battery. Four years on the 1700 with an Astroflite 110D.
The 2300 for two years with a Trident charger.
Both of these seem to be OK. Check with Ed about this, but the only chargers that cause trouble are the ones that use a negative pulse to check the charge state. I read this some where, but like I said, check with Ed.
I never knew there could be trouble till recently.

Old 06-10-2005, 01:36 PM
F106A

Pete,
I posted this question on the SimJet help forum:http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2939082/tm.htm

I have a Triton also and never had a problem. When I got the note from SimJet that you could cook the ECU by charging through the charge cord, I started disconnecting the battery before charging, as per SimJet's instructions. I would think if there was problem with my setup, I would've cooked it the first time I charged the battery.
As great as the engine and GNM are, it just seems a like Mickey Mouse way of charging the battery. I would think that a workaround wouldn't be that difficult, but, guess so.
BRG,
Jon
Old 06-10-2005, 04:05 PM
whitcombe

Dear Heli4me,

As you probably know I have one of these new 18lb simjet 1200 on my boomerang intro. I have had about 10 flights with it since I bought it direct from Lars (MR simjet) himself. What can I say, it performs faultlessly, starts everytime and is truly amazing on fuel. I have not made a single adjustment on the FADEC since I got it and it throws my boomerang around with ease. The quality of the turbine as well as all the fittings that come with it are spot on. I am an ex Ministry of Defence aircraft technician with over 11 years experience on fast jet maintenance and so I know quality when I see it ! I would buy another straight away if I had a chance. I go to the field and just FLY !! No messing about, just fuel it, start it and Fly !

Tim
Old 06-10-2005, 06:18 PM
teg-1
My Feedback: (336)

Thanks Whit Combe and everyone else that replied
I will be geting a simjet 1200
in a couple of weeks
Thanks..........JOHN
Old 06-10-2005, 07:23 PM
RPM