Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Super Flying King Twin

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Super Flying King Twin

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 09:10 AM
RCSHOWCASE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Flying King Twin

This is a BIG kit ! I ordered the twin version in a moment of madness, but I am now happy I did. Bruce Tharpe has done a masterfull job of designing and cutting the kit. All machine cut, no laser cutting! everthing fits. The box had half a forest of balsa and ply in it. It was very daunting to see all the wood that had to be glued together. One step at a time , a great manual and lots of CA and epoxy.......

Finally got to the point where I can see what the complete model will look like.! WOW.

I have two ZDZ 40 RV engines installed with Supersonic inverted Pitts mufflers (they are painted black and are hard to see in the picture. I am also going to paint the cylinders black) Dave Brown 3.5" spinners and 20 x 10 Bambula props. I think this is enough power to do most anything at all with the SFK....

Time now to install the radio and servos. I am installing two receivers; one in the wing for the throttles, chokes, flaps and ailerons and one in the fuselage for the rudder and elevators.

Then: lots and lots of sanding and filling and covering....

David Garrison

RC Showcase
ZDZ, RCS and Roto Gas engines
www.rcshowcase.com

big is good, bigger is better!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98809.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	120323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53211.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	120324  
Old 04-09-2004, 10:06 AM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

Default RE: Super Flying King Twin

Nice plane. Please keep us updated. Looks like it would make a good cargo plane for funflies too. What website is the kit available?
Old 04-09-2004, 10:33 AM
RCSHOWCASE

Ah Yes!
I forgot two things, the size of this beast : 11.0 feet wing span and an 8 foot fuselage and the suppliers web address:

http://www.btemodels.com/

David Garrison
[X(]
Old 04-10-2004, 12:38 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

David,
Would be interesting to know the actual weight with Twin conversion..

Thx
Old 04-10-2004, 03:37 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

David:

As you said; "WOW!"

Bill.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:52 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gosh David glad to see the 'boss' builds so nice. David lets do a Ziroli B-25 next ...
Old 04-27-2004, 09:29 AM
Mike Dooley/RCS

Nizza Job Herr David Garrison, grosses Flugzeug mit netten Maschinen und sehr annehmbarem Gebäudejob! Blicke sehr gut in der Person außerdem. Gespräch zu Ihnen folgendes Mal
Old 04-27-2004, 12:44 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Netter Posten, Mikrophon Dooley/RCS. Nicht zu viel peole kann es aber lesen.
However, I translated it as shown below..

----------------

Nizza Job Herr David Garrison, grosses Flugzeug mit netten Maschinen und sehr annehmbarem Gebäudejob! Blicke sehr gut in der Person außerdem. Gespräch zu Ihnen folgendes Mal

-----------------

Nice job Mr. david Garrison, large airplane with nice machines and very acceptable building job! Would look very well in the person moreover. Time following conversation to you
Old 06-03-2004, 01:09 PM
ramcfarland

Hi David,
Here is my cell phone number3017881120 keep me posted I'm behind R.C.S.100%

Big is better and with ZDZ you have it together[8D]
Old 06-03-2004, 01:28 PM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

Let's see....two ZDZ 40's at 4.8 HP each..equals.....uh....9.6 HP, 2x 20x8 props,,eleven foot wing span..... on what looks like a twin cub..., per RCS website, this engine is rated for mild aerobatics for planes up to 20 pounds........and you have two of these engines.........Per my Thrust calculator at 7000 RPM that is 23 pounds of thrust.........per engine.....Opps, your website 25.79 pounds of thrust.....Per Engine.....YUP....Welcome to twinsanity. YOU DA MAN!!!!! And YOU Complained when I put two ZDZ 80s' on a Yellow P-38!!!
Keep us posted.
Twinman
PS..Uh,,,,there is a bare spot on the nose!!!!!RCS 140????
Old 06-03-2004, 01:45 PM
William Robison

But don't you think the plane would look so much nicer, not to mention have a fantastic sound, with a pair of OS Pegasus flat four cylinder engines? Of course the fuel cost might stagger the imagination.

Bill.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:06 AM
ramcfarland

ORIGINAL: William Robison

But don't you think the plane would look so much nicer, not to mention have a fantastic sound, with a pair of OS Pegasus flat four cylinder engines? Of course the fuel cost might stagger the imagination.

Bill.
Hello all,
Bill: Mr. Garrison is ZDZ's North American distributor and owner of R.C.S. soo what engines would you be flying? I have no twin flying experience but in the case of David's plane,I like to think in a scenario where you lose an engine,you can land (horizontally) if you "catch the dead engine in time,"thus doing an approach to land,with lots of rudder in there,with some power to spare.. Just think : every one in the pits watching as you/David, taxi's back with an intact "Super Flying King![8D]
Old 06-04-2004, 01:21 AM
William Robison

Richard:

I'd like to claim I knew David Garrison was RCS, but I just skimmed past his posts. Had I looked at his username I could not have been unaware, and of course would not expect him to fly the OS engines.

Now. That having been said, don't you think the plane would look so much nicer, not to mention have a fantastic sound, with a pair of OS Pegasus flat four cylinder engines? It's still a legitimate question, but no, I wont expect him to do it.

Bill.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:37 AM
ramcfarland

ORIGINAL: William Robison

Richard:

I'd like to claim I knew David Garrison was RCS, but I just skimmed past his posts. Had I looked at his username I could not have been unaware, and of course would not expect him to fly the OS engines.

Now. That having been said, don't you think the plane would look so much nicer, not to mention have a fantastic sound, with a pair of OS Pegasus flat four cylinder engines? It's still a legitimate question, but no, I wont expect him to do it.

Bill.
Hello Bill,
I'm sure Dave could afford them. Personally my Glow of choice for decades has been O.S..I know little about the Pegasus but I'm sure that it has to be another good one. Until reciently I worked P.T. for R.C.S., but currently not.

Richard McFaraland AMA52920
Old 12-01-2004, 08:39 PM
RCSHOWCASE

Progress report on SFK twin:

The long summer is over and now it is mid Fall and time to do a progress report on my SFK twin beast. I have been building it , on and off, since February 2004.

See pics ...

I am using Ultracote , LOTS of it..... Just the outer panels and some trim to do. All radio gear, engine stuff is installed. I am using two rcv'rs, one in the wing for the ailerons, flaps and throttle (two) servos, chokes are manual, and one in the fuselage for the rudder and split elevators. I have followed the sage advice from many twin pilots and installed a gyro on the rudder servo.

I may finish before the coming holidays and then...I might not...not very good flying weather this time of year (Maryland, USA)

David Garrison
RC Showcase
ZDZ, RCS and Roto gas engines
www.rcshowcase.com

"Big is good, but...Bigger is better!"

Name:	Om33396.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	387.1 KB
ID:	198437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx74186.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	198438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97800.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	388.3 KB
ID:	198439  
Old 12-01-2004, 09:24 PM
William Robison

Dave:

When you finish it, load it and your flying stuff in the car (Moving van?) and drive south on US 301 until you gat to Norfolk. Find the Fentress field, the runway there is big enough for your plane. It's paved, 8000' long.

Haw.

Really looking good.

Bill.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:23 PM
RCSHOWCASE

Update: ALL MOST READY!

I got to the point where it was time to run up the engines and check out my radio set up for controling the two engines, so I brought it down to the RC Showcase facility for Mike Dooley (the master builder and engine guru) to give it a look over and run the engines for the first time. Mike made some adjustments to my throttle setup and in short order had the ZDZ 40s humming along . We fiddled with the trims on each engine to get them running in sync. Wow, what a sound when they are running full throttle! Mike made some cooling and air intake suggestions that I will do . I had consider these but thought, nah, it will be ok, There is something about hearing someone else voice the same concerns that makes it easier to take action...OH wellthe mods will only delay the maiden flight by a week or so.

I have a Multiplex 12 channel system installed (Hitech Servos), but only ended up using nine channels. It is a lovely radio system and has all the programming bells and whistles to keep anyone happy for a long time. A synthesized TX and RX along with a scanner in the TX make this Multiplex radio system the best that I have seen, especially for the price.

Back to the TSFK.

It weighs in at 41.2 pounds with full gas tanks. Each ZDZ 40 has its own 16 oz tank. The ZDZ 40 is pretty stingy with fuel so I expect 20 minutes of flight time. Bruce Tharpe (the design and kit maker) thought that the SFK twin version would come out tail heavy and it did , but not by much; I had to add only 1.25 pounds of lead in the nose.

I will post pics when she is flown for the first time.

David Grrison
RC Showcase

Name:	Sq47237.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	283270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17788.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	283271  
Old 06-10-2005, 09:50 PM
William Robison

David:

The plane doesn't look all that big, until the picture of you reaching under the wing. Then it looks huge.

All the best for your first flight with it, looks like it will still be a tight squeeze for you to get in.

Haw.

Bill.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:29 PM
ramcfarland

Hello David,

Your Supre Flying King Twin looks nice ---- Here is a shot of my soon to be ZDZ80 powererd Thunderbolt

Richard[8D]

Name:	Ay74813.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	283456