Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Pull Pull on Funtana 90 Anyone?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Pull Pull on Funtana 90 Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 02:38 PM
jester125

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull Pull on Funtana 90 Anyone?

Has anyone used a pull pull system on a Funtana 90? I'm debating weather to do it or not, also has anyone put a Sullivan tail wheel assembly on theirs I cant figure how to get the blind nuts inside the fuse. Any advise and/or pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks Chris
Old 06-21-2005, 09:46 PM
idmep
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Pull Pull on Funtana 90 Anyone?

Hello Jester:

I have a Sullivan tail wheel (10-15 lb version) and it works great. First trim back the covering. Cut a piece of 1/8" or 3/16" thick plywood just a bit wider than the tail wheel plastic base. Use the left over yellow covering and iron onto the plywood bottom side. Make sure the opposite side of the plywood is not covered. Drill and mount the tail wheel with blind nuts. Then drill and countersink the exposed screw and nut portion into the bottom tail section. Epoxy it it place. It will never come off. I used the larger spring to hook onto the rudder. I fly on a grass field and have many hard landings without any problem. Also, the Sullivan tail wheel has a much higher profile than the stock wheel. I put some prebend in it to lower the tail. The Sullivan wire is also larger than the stock wheel hole. I need to enlarge the holes in the tail wheel and the wheel collar.

I do not use a pull-pull rudder servo system. Just make sure you have high torque servos on all control surfaces. I move the battery and throttle servo all the way forward inside the cowling, so that I do not have to add balance weight. Keep it light.

Hope it helps

IDMEP
Old 06-22-2005, 07:36 AM
jester125

Great info, Thanks.

Chris
Old 06-22-2005, 09:23 AM
bentgear

If you look thru the long thread on the Funtana 90 you will find several examples of using pull/pull on the rudder complete with pictures.

Ed M.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:00 PM
jester125

Yeah I'm working on it, litteraly (I'm at work). I'm only on page 31 of 146, I just thought it would be faster and easier this way.

Chris
Old 06-22-2005, 05:20 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Well there are several different ways to do the pull pull, after I got mine put in I kind of wished I had done it a bit differently so check through the thread and find one that works for you. If you decide to do it, finding suitable cable exits to cover the holes is a tough one, or you can just leave slots, or I used Ny-Tube all the way down the fuselage and covered the exit with Ultracote. That could have turned out better, but I got in too big a hurry about that time of night...

I put the Sullivan 10-15 lb version tailwheel on mine, the LHS showed the way they did there's which is to use four small cap head lag screws. You'll need to enlarge the holes in the bracket just a touch, mark and drill them on the fuselage. Then run the cap screws down in, back them out, fill with some instant CA and install the bracket. It works slick.

Zeeb
Old 06-23-2005, 07:38 AM
jester125

Thanks Zeeb, I read some more of the Funtana 90 post and I decided against using the Sullivan wheel assembly because of the extra work to do and the extra weight. As for pull/pull setup I guess I'll have to research it a bit more before I attempt anything. Unfortunately thats where I am in the building process so Im at a stand still.

Chris
Old 06-23-2005, 09:06 AM
CAM2

I went the lite ply and blind nut method. Works well. This is an Ohio Products tail wheel assembly. The photo does not show the tiller arm I added to the rudder.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91128.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	288691