Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

painting polystyrene?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

painting polystyrene?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 09:56 AM
spud02ie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting polystyrene?

i have consructed a model out of expanded polystyrene and i dont know what paint to use on it, something that wont eat into it? I was thinking of using water based paint and then sealing it with clear sealer to prevent fuel from ruining the paint, will this work and what paints should i use???
Old 06-24-2005, 01:56 PM
voyager_663rd

Default RE: painting polystyrene?

Try googling on "painting styrene". I found hundreds of sites with info. Here is from one of them:

PAINTING STYRENE

Most paints will stick to styrene well enough to allow them to be used indoors in locations that will not require a lot of handling. For brush applications, oil based paints such as Testors flat colours, and various brands of water based acrylics work particularly well. Household latexes also work, but the heavy coats needed for colour coverage tend to obscure fine details. Lacquers such as Floquil or Scale Coat are not recommended for brushing on styrene.

Where a lot of handling is required, for example rolling stock, or where the project will be exposed to the weather, lacquer applied with an air brush is the best choice. The author's top choice is Floquil thinned with Diosol, applied without a barrier coat. When applied with an air brush in light coats, it attacks the surface of the styrene just enough to make a really strong bond without causing crazing. A bit of practice with some styrene scraps goes a long way toward finding out just how light or heavy a coat to use. An expensive new engine shell or a structure that has taken many hours to complete are NOT good places to practice. And NEVER use spray cans of lacquer directly on styrene - the flood of material that they produce is guaranteed to cause problems.

Other workers report good success with water based paints applied with an air brush. The author's hesitation in endorsing them lies solely in his inexperience with them. Their advantages seem obvious - easy cleanup with water and no harmful solvents that require using a spray both and/or a mask to absorb the vapours. However, plain water may not completely clean the air brush, and a good mask to absorb the mist of fine droplets of paint is still necessary. Not to put too fine a point on the latter, IF YOU BLOW, YOU KNOW. Blow your nose on a white tissue right after your paint job. If there is any paint colour at all on the tissue, your mask is not working well enough.

Often the durability of paint can be improved by applying a clear top coat over it. Testors Dulcote is often used indoors, and it works wonders in protecting decals and dry transfers in addition to the paint. Outdoors, Dulcote tends to become milky, and the heavier the applied coating, the milkier it becomes. The look is reminiscent of the chalky surface of self cleaning house paint and is often acceptable, particularly as there does not seem to be an alternative.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:30 PM
Mr_Scale
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: painting polystyrene?

Cheveron Perfect Paint will work.