Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

U.S. 41 or G-38

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 02:34 PM
flailing
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U.S. 41 or G-38

Anyone have experience with the U.S Engines 41cc, I need a 2.3-2.4cu engine and I can't decide on the US or the G-38.
Old 10-11-2002, 03:02 PM
flailing

Default U.S. 41 or G-38

Found some threads on the US engine, I think that's the one I will buy.
Old 10-11-2002, 11:09 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default U.S. 41 or G-38

Big mistake buying the US41 engine in my opinion. Unless they have drastically improved their quality control - there is no comparison to the G38. Besides that - the G38 has a double counterweight on the crankshaft that makes it much smoother running. The US 41 only has a counterweight on one side, and requires an overbalanced flywheel to smooth it out at low speeds. Dario Brisighella used to overbalance the factory flywheels on the old Quadras - which the US41 decends from, but I don't think they are available any longer.

The G38 will cost you more by the time it is equipped the same as the US41, but over the long haul - the money is well spent.
Old 10-11-2002, 11:47 PM
Newflee

Default U.S. 41 or G-38

Have a look at my post regarding the exploding starter spring on a US 35. Things can happen but when I purchased the 35 I was going to puchase the 41 instead but noticed in the shop that one of the flywheel cooling fins was broken off. This engine was new in box and must have slipped by Quality control as was the 35 it seems after the spring ejected. I must say that the replacement 35 is very good but do you want to gamble on getting a good one?
One note. The first 35 came with a weedeater type muffler and lacked power with quite a bit of vibration. The replacement came with a silver pitts style muffler and has much more power with very little vibration. Make sure you get the latter, it seems to be a newer model. Even the owners manuals are quite different. I've never owned a Quadra so I can't speak to that.
Old 10-12-2002, 02:22 AM
Vince

Default U.S. 41 or G-38

Do yourself a big favor and go with the G38, you will never regret it, can't say that about the US41.

Vince
Old 10-12-2002, 03:57 AM
Ed

Default U.S. 41 or G-38

US 41 is a shaker. G-38 is smoother, better quality, and reliable running. Get the spring starter with it.
Old 10-12-2002, 12:12 PM
Tmoth4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default U.S. 41 or G-38

Now I'm confused. I asked almost the same question in the Giant Engines section and got a different opinion about the US41. Those guys had good comments about the US41, although I agree that the Zenoahs are much better quality.
Old 10-12-2002, 12:45 PM
Vince

Default U.S. 41 or G-38

Originally posted by Tmoth4
Now I'm confused. I asked almost the same question in the Giant Engines section and got a different opinion about the US41. Those guys had good comments about the US41, although I agree that the Zenoahs are much better quality.
I do not know what you were told in the other forum, but the US41 has the reputation of being low on power, heavy, and as mention, a shaker.

Vince
Old 10-12-2002, 02:07 PM
Newflee

Default U.S. 41 or G-38

Either way you mighy want to support your local hobby shop and purchase there if you can rather than mail order. That way you can ask someone you know and see in person.
My new US 35 is ok.
Old 10-12-2002, 09:00 PM
linclogs

Default U.S. 41 or G-38

I hear a lot of varying opinions regarding which brand is best, etc. Could the answers be just personal opinions, preferences or brand loyalty?

As I'm just now working on getting into quarter scale for the first time after being a modeler for 50 years, I've read all the posts in various websites about which engine is best. Not wanting to get really deep costwise into a project since I still need to see if quarter scale is where I definitely want to go, I opted for the US 41. I read a lot of horror stories about the engine, but one thing that stuck with me was that the design is supposedly the same as the Quadra line of engines. I remember a time when Quadra was the ONLY choice for a commercially manufactured quarter scale engine and they seemed to fill the bill very well.

Pretty near everyone seemed to agree that Ralph Cunningham was the guy to go to for answers to questions (and any work that needed to be done) on the US (and other) engines. While I am planning on eventually sending my US 41 to Ralph to check out (once I get some initial run time on it), I did email him with some questioins awhile back. This was part of his reply:

"All the US 41s are good..The problems were caused by flywheels that were
not fit to the crank and hubs that were tapped crooked..After these are
fixed they're all the same.."
Old 10-12-2002, 09:33 PM
Newflee

Default U.S. 41 or G-38

Mr. Cunningham is problably right but don't you think that these problems shouldn't be there in the first place?
If you feel you should have a new engine serviced just so that you can use it, thats kind of crazy.
My new US35 is ok but if it wasn't I would have launched it into a lake nevermind had it tuned.
If I had a choice right now I would spend a few extra bucks and get a 3W or equivalent quality engine in the size range I wanted. If I have one wasted afternoon its already cost me the difference in price.
Bye the way, giant scale is all I do. They fly more realistic, they are easier to see, they are crowd pleasers, your feild box is not really needed, and best of all the gas is clean and cheap.

Good luck.
Old 10-13-2002, 12:16 AM
linclogs

Default U.S. 41 or G-38

A lot of folks have said that about the US Engines - why not ship them correct from the factory? Apparently, they had a quality contol problem that now sounds maybe like it has been fixed - again from posts I've read.

Others have also said that once you send the engine to Mr. Cunningham (RCIgnition), you get it back working like it should - for a price that's still less than any other brand of quarter scale engine. The claims are that the vibration and idle problems no longer exist and you get an engine with performance right up there with the others in it's class. Now mind you I'm not speaking from personal experience - just the consensus I'm getting of the many posts I've read from about 4 of these different message boards. I'm still trying to learn, too. I've been cutting and pasting the different posts re: the US 41 into a file for over a year. I've tried to collect everything from reported problems and their fixes, what type of fuel and oil was used for breaking in and for running after break-in, etc., and it makes for interesting reading and again, easy to get a consensus of what others' opinions are. Generally, it seems that once RCIgnition works his magic, the complaints disappear. But I agree - the company should do whatever Mr. Cunningham is doing before they ship the engines.

You mentioned that giant scale is all you do. What made you go with the cheaper (US) engine? I'm assuming you may have other brands already in your stable?

You also mention the other advantages (in my mind) to giant scale - especially about being "easier to see", not needeing nearly as much support equipment and "the gas is cheap"!
Old 10-13-2002, 12:44 AM
Newflee

Default U.S. 41 or G-38

I purchased the US engine because I as well trick myself occasionally into thinking that things can sometimes be done cheaply . I also like to support my local hobby shop and it was in stock. When you get down to the real gutts of it though, if you can save $100 or $200, what is that? Is it worth the dissapointment of a lost afternoon, weekend or even model that may have taken many hundreds of hours to build?
I'm a pilot and builder of full scale aircraft and in that world the engine is usually the most expensive piece of an aircraft. They aren't cars and looks are secondary to the powerplant and systems. I know that you know this already but you have to scale up the importance of the engine as you scale up the size of the model. The same goes for the radio and other systems.
How much is your time worth to you? You mention the time that you have spent cutting and pasting info, -you do the math.
Don't get me wrong, we all enjoy spending time looking into these things but ultimately it comes down to a time/ value question. I bet you would rather be building that new giant scale airframe than questioning the reliabillity of an engine.

Newflee
Old 10-14-2002, 09:47 AM
flailing

Default U.S. 41 or G-38

I have no experience with either the G-38 or the US-41, I have read many good reports on the Zenoah and kind of figured it was the better of the two, however there were many glowing reports in the engine section for the US 41 ? The US-41 specs say it comes with the Pitts style muffler and throttle linkage ready to go.
How will the G-38 be setup, do I need to get a muffler and hook up some sort of linkage to the carb? The difference in price is not much but if I have to get a muffler and linkage the price gap gets a little wider.
Thanks for all the replys, I really do want the best I can afford.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:07 PM
Newflee

Default U.S. 41 or G-38

The US41 that I have seen and the US35 that I currently own (same physical size) both came with pitts style mufflers and throttle linkage set up. This linkage set up is not elaborate but gets the job done. The engine is quite loud with the pitts style muffler but more powerful than my previous 35 which didn't come with the pitts style muffler.
I don't have the info in front of me right now but you might want to check the Zenoah web site for their set up. If I recall correctly you will not be able to see the linkage and wil problably have to call them for more info.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...p?prod=ZENE38A

As I have said before I would spend a little extra and get a 3W quality engine, perhaps used.
The only reason that I would buy a Zenoah engine instead of a US engine would be if I needed a new 23-25 cc engine. US doesn,t make the 25 anymore so the G23 is the only choice. In this situation I have opted to go the really cheap way and canabalize a new 25 cc Weedeater trimmer. I was able to pick two up for $59.00 each, and with a few mods have two little 25's for a total cost of around $150 Canadian funds. In case you haven't heard thats about $90 U.S.D.
The G23 in Canada is about $470 locally! Incidentally these canabalized engines allready have the carb linkage in the correct position.
You may want to check out the following web site for conversion parts for 35cc engines. They offer the parts and the conversion service if you don't want to DIY.

http://home.att.net/~carrprecision/Page3.html
Old 10-14-2002, 08:13 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default U.S. 41 or G-38

I use the US 41 and it runs great. Get the bigger carb from B & B and you won't have any problems. I also got their pitts muffler and smoker. Starts great, runs great, idles great, has tons of power. No problems with this engine. Haven't run the G-38 but may have to try one from the sounds of it.