IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

GP Extra300 for IMAC practice

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 02:56 PM
Navy18
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Extra300 for IMAC practice

How is the Great Planes Extra300 .40 size as a practice plane for IMAC maneuvers?
Old 06-12-2005, 04:01 PM
3D Joy

Default RE: GP Extra300 for IMAC practice

Certainly not ideal but surely better to try than getting discouraged by all the following answers that will say: you need a 35%...

I actually won some competitions with this plane up to sportsman, then, I don't think this plane can perform and be competitive.

Built right, with some power, this plane can really win in Basic IMO. Sure you will get your butt kicked if you opponent is flying a Carden 40% and flies as good as you (skills) but imagine the warm fuzzy to place better than one of these machines! [8D]
Old 06-12-2005, 04:03 PM
Navy18

3D Joy,
Do you think the plane could handle a 91 Surpass? If I build the rudder larger and keep the weight down do you think I could learn a few basics? I have a 91 on the shelf and I want a kit that is light; I enjoy building vice the ARF routine.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:16 PM
3D Joy

I think you will be fine with your engine. My plane was using a OS 61 SF-P and the whole package was weighting 7 lbs even. Make sure yours don't weight 7 lbs. I think that at 6 lbs and the 91 that should make a very nice flying plane for basic and some sportsman.

The kit is overbuilt in about every possible way so take care. An example, the firewall is 3/8" thick (the one in my 33% extra with 80cc engine is 1/4" thick).

This plane will fly routines faster than most so be ready to try to be precise while flying FAST.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Navy18

You did well to keep your plane at 7 lbs; several builders say 7.5 lbs is not very likely; heard one guy turn up with 8.3 lbs.... that will add some stress to that wing area.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:05 PM
aerobatixkid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell me about it, the plane is very heavy, Mine is 7lbs witn OS 61FX and has had repairs.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:37 AM
FlyinTiger
My Feedback: (45)

Sadly enough there aren't a lot of built-up kits out there any more. Most of your best choices in the 40/60 size will be ARFs.

PRACTICE NOW WITH WHATEVER YOU HAVE! That is the best advice I got from my fellow modelers.

When you find the right plane you will know it...then you can build it. Don't be fooled by people that say this plane has to weigh more than 7 lbs. Since it is a kit you can make some very careful modifications that won't hurt the strength of the plane, but will make it much lighter! The firewall example is a good one...

Good luck. Get practicing...even if it is just on the Simulator.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:17 AM
Norman Soto

Had mine with a .91 FX. It was.... still landable, if u know what I mean. It becomes a bit nasty for slow flight. Good luck anyway... It'll have plenty of vertical performance.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:36 AM
Navy18

Norman,
You put a 91FX 2stroke on the front of a 40 Extra? Wow..... what does that thing weigh? I bet the vertical sure is there.... give us some details on that combo.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:22 PM
Tony Fandino
My Feedback: (8)

Navy

Fly whatever you have, that may have aerobatic performance. The important thing is to start learning the figures and verry important is to teach yourself to read aresti. Not a written descritption of the figure. Start slow one figure at a time. learn all the rudder corrections in every attitude ie: going up and down looking at the belly and the reverse.
take it slow and biuld up your confidence any second thought will come back and bite you. Its true you might show up at your first contest and find someone flying a 40% in basic. It happened to me and it is discouraging, but hang in there and practice practice practice you will know when it's time to get a bigger airplane. I'm in sportsman now and i went through 3 different planes till i found what i like. While many people like to blow off this statement Bigger is Better.. Good luck and stick with it

Tony Fandino
Old 06-16-2005, 01:11 PM
Navy18

Tony, with at GP Extra40, do you think a 90 Surpass is too much engine? I have heard the vertical is great but will it cause problems with acro?
Old 06-16-2005, 01:39 PM
Tony Fandino

Navy I have mine with a .61 sf and it is a little nose heavy. But that is not bad . You never want a tail heavy airplane for aerobatics. So nose heavy is not a bad thing. I think that the 91 is a little heavier but might be the ticket for unlimited vertical which mine does not have. Be carefull though with the added wing loading she will land hot and don't let her slow down to much. Mainly go out Practice and have fun.

tony
Old 06-16-2005, 01:49 PM
Navy18

Tony,
The difference in our engines is 19.4 vs 19.9 ozs.... I am tempted to go with the 91Surpass and try and move both servos aft. I know it will be a speedy lander; thanks for the info and opinion. I just don't have the extra $$ now to purchase a 70 surpass.

jim
Old 06-16-2005, 10:05 PM
Bass1

The Great Planes 60/90 Extra 300 does real well with a 91 Surpass. It's a little larger and the kit is relatively easy to build. You might check that one out. Had mine for 5 years and use it to practice with.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:59 PM
Navy18

I actually built the GP 60 Extra and had a 61FX in it.... gave it to a friend to fly and he stalled it and totalled her.... I never got much time to enjoy it. Think I had about 20 minutes with her.... oh well, now I have a 40 size kit with a 91 surpass sitting on the shelf..... trying to talk myself into the match.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:05 AM
Tony Fandino

Navy

If that what you have then go for it. put the servos in the back . You don't have to use digitals or high tourque 148 will work fine. I didn't realize that the 61 and the 91 where so close weight wise. Good luck and remember you can never have to much power. You always have the throttle control.

tony
Old 06-17-2005, 10:17 AM
Navy18

Tony,
I have the older 91 without the pump; that does save some weight bring our engines closer together weightwise. I was told by another flyer that it was great going up and I would have to be cautious coming down; snaps were very fun to watch and landings can make you wish you had brakes.... I am an intermediate flyer but want to get better and I am focusing on a plane to help me do just that. I wish I had an extra 70 Surpass but I'm not going to scuttle the Ultimate for the Extra300.

I was asked to start a build thread when I start the kit but I think there is enough info already on the web since this is an older kit. Plus, there is a great thread already out on the Extra300 60 concerning modifications.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:46 AM
Norman Soto

I started IMAC with the combo above (91FX). Sure it had vertical performance, but I was so newbie I never took time to rebalance the d@mn plane. After some 20 flights and a 3rd Basic place it went down on a spin I never came out of... later I discovered the left elevator halve flown away during flight... Before that the thing had to land jet like fast.... but sure it 3D'd....!!!!
Old 06-18-2005, 02:00 AM
Wildstyle

Navy 18
I use to have a GP Extra 300 .40. I originally had a OS 70 surpass which was taken out after 10 flights, it had balance problems and the vibration cracked the cowling badly. I went to a OS 46FX with a Dub Jett turbo muffler only because I had the motor.

With the 70 it had good vertical but was not unlimited so a 91 surpass would be ok. I suggest cutting holes through out the fuse to save weight as it is built like a brick sh_t house. My one weighed 6lb 4oz built stock standard with the OS 46 and quite a bit more with the 70 surpass.

Be careful of the overall weight ( I think 6lb is about the most it would want to be). Also the vibration of the four stroke and plastic cowls don't go together to well, use a soft mount or a fibreglass cowl.

As far as flying IMAC they fly pretty well in the entry level classes but thats about it, ( I won basic IMAC and sportman pattern at the nationals here in New Zealand with my GP extra and was flying against 2M planes).
Anthony.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:27 AM
Oly

I have the GP 40 also and it is a blast to fly. Mine is chubby at 7.4 pounds (I'm trying to be tactful). OS 61 FX keeps it movin', but don't slow it down too much on short final! I really do like the way it handles - flat spins are fun but I start them high because I'm not good enough to recover quickly. I wonder if my heavy hand with glue, reinforcement and paint has anything to do with the extra weight?
Old 06-18-2005, 05:28 AM
FlyinTiger

Put a YS 63S four stroke in that GP Extra and you'll have the power of a 90 four stroke and the weight of a .40 sized engine. Use 20% nitro, 20% oil glow fuel, or 30% heli fuel if you want a little more power...keep that baby down to 6 pounds. Use an APC 13x4 Wide prop and you'll have plenty of speed and power for great IMAC performance in the Basic and Sportsman classes.

You'll be torqin' at 1/2 throttle and you can put the fuel tank anywhere you want...it's pressurized by the YS crankcase pressure. Your engine will last for a decade before you need to rebuild it if you use fuel with 20% or more oil. People are scared of YS, but mine has been running great for two seasons now and is my favorite glow engine, hands down!!! It has WAY MORE power than an O.S. 70 Surpass! It is worth the extra cost for sure...expect to pay about $240, but you'll never regret your investment...[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 06-24-2005, 10:32 PM
jb86

i have a .40 size pacific aeromodel edge 540, started w/ os 70 fs and 13x6. os 91 fs w/pump was only 2 .5 oz more. weighs 7 lbs. has lots of power (but still not unlimited) w/14x6 prop and slows down nice for landing. aerobatics are crisp. i bought it to practice for my almost done GP .60 size extrra 300, w/ modification to tail feathers as described on the .60 size thread. the 91 is breaking in nicely and gaining more RPM - upto 9900 w/14x6, i like the 6" pitch for the speed and slows down for landing. now the extra will get my os 120 fs w/pump - i have shed some weight out of the aircraft to allow that (fiberglass cowl, no wheel pants, ultra light foam wheels, ect). weigh the abs cowl and pants, shed some excess where you can, the .40 size has a higher wing loading than the .60 size. when flying a scale aerobat - be sure to "fly it down to the runway" (it's no trainer), take off with lift and airspeed, use low rates for take off and landing. i like the performance of the 91 fs on my .40 edge, only 2.5 oz over the 70 fs, can't hurt , shed it somewhere else.
jon b
Old 06-25-2005, 11:14 AM
FlyinTiger

I guess proof is in the pudding...my Pacific Aeromodels Edge 540 40/70 is powered by a YS .63S and weighs 6 pounds even. It pulls out of a hover with decent authority and has unlimited vertical (won't stop climbing straight up).

Using an APC 13x4 WIDE propeller gives the Edge a great constant IMAC speed and plenty of spool-up for the 3D maneuvers. It turns the 13x4 Wide at about 11,500 rpm when wide open and idles at 1900 rpm all day.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 06-29-2005, 11:17 AM
Young-RCPilot

I think you will do great with the 40 sized extra in Basic I came in 3rd with a Four Star 40 and the 2 planes that beat me where a 33% and a 28% but i did beat some other people with big planes to. and I only had a OS 46FX in it