Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

repairing planes

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

repairing planes

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 07:20 AM
johnwrobo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default repairing planes

How can I repair a hole in a wing? Do I need to iron a patch, or is there self adheisive patch?
Old 06-19-2005, 07:25 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: repairing planes

At your local hobby shop or at most mail order places, you can get strips of sticky back Monocoat that is about 6" X 24". Cut out the size you need and peel and stick. You can also use the Windex method to install it.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 06-19-2005, 07:38 AM
Dr1Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How big is the hole? Is there damaged wood or just a hole in the covering? It it's the latter, just cut a patch about 1/2" larger than the hole and iron it down over it. If there's damaged wood, cut the covering away, repair the wood, then recover.

Dr.1
Old 06-19-2005, 03:14 PM
captjack
Banned
My Feedback: (3)

at the field use monokote trim sheet or scoth tape at home use iron on covering that is the same as the covering on the plane if you know what it is .that way the shrink temperture will be close to the same.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:14 AM
Alliance Jet

Have any of you guys converted from rubberbands hold down to Screw hold downs ? I am trying to convert the Superstar 40 for my son to screw down and eliminate the rubberbands. Should I use three or four?
Old 06-29-2005, 11:37 AM
scalebldr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the easist way on a high wing plane is to use four screws,two in front,two in the rear.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:02 PM
RC-Captain

If I were your son I would tell you to leave the rubber band set up alone. Before totaling out my superstar I flew this plane like it was an aerobatic breed. With the weight of this plane, screws may not hold on some of those tight rough maneuvers. GL

RCF esq.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:43 AM
Alliance Jet

Thanks for the imput, the Tech Guy at Dubro (Ed) said it would hold just fine. Another way I was told was to put a dowel in the front edge of the wind and epoxy it into the wing , drill a hole in the rib just under the wing and slip it in . On my GP Super Sportster it has a dowel in the leading edge of the wing and it slips into a hole just fine with two screws in the trailing edge . Thoought about using that system.