Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

My two cents about Jet tires & wheels...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

My two cents about Jet tires & wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 10:50 AM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My two cents about Jet tires & wheels...

Yeah Marty, should have the stuff out this week.

I'll have to say, the cable ties and the screws were a first. When I have a problem with a machine in the shop, I don't have time to go "chat rooming", I call the company and get a solution or a replacement part. I surely don't go for the zip ties.

Dennis

Hello Dennis and others,

My friend Egil... is an avid flyer, he owns many, many large war-birds and turbine Jet aircraft. He has nothing against you personally. He like all of us just want products to work! I personally watched your tire spin off his right main wheel. Why it came off who knows for sure, I'll speculate later.

Egil drives several miles to our field to fly... and fly is what he wants to do. Strapping the tire on the wheel with nylon tie straps.. zip ties... was in fact the only way at the field he would be able to fly again... and it worked!!

Egil had obviously had the tires roll off his/your wheels prior to the on site tie strap mod ... when he arrived that day Egil had already done the bolt thing....flew once and lost a tire on takeoff roll again.

If I were manufacturing anything which I'm not... I would at least try to find out why user's buyers are having problems....and I would especially pay attention to users that are having the problems.... so solutions could be found.

In Egil's case his Eurofighter weighs 33 or 34 lbs... is powered by a P-200..! When that combo is wicked up things start happening very quickly. The acceleration down the runway during takeoff roll is amazing to say the least! Most Eurofighters I've watched are very mellow... much like big war-birds.. big and fairly slow < 150 mph. This Eurofighter will stay with my P-120 powered Bobcat a smaller over powered.. wider performance enveloped aircraft. I think Egils Euro will go vertical as fast and high as my Bobcat.. to say the least it is not underpowered.

Just from an outsiders standpoint.... looking at the wheel tire combo, it looks to me like your wheels were not designed with 30 plus pound Jet aircraft in mind. Considering the side loads that are inevitable during landing and takeoff rolls.... the rubber compound seems to be soft. Seems to me a harder rubber compound would be better for the three wheel landing gear system on his Jet. Softer rubber tiers are great on the conventional geared war-bird type aircraft, but in my humble opinion are not what is required for a heavy air-brake equipped turbine powered Jet.
Regards,
Lee H. DeMary
AMA 36099
Old 07-05-2005, 11:56 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: My two cents about Jet tires & wheels...

Lee, I had a set of Glennis on my AD Mirage a few years back and was having troubles with them spinning off the hubs too, not every flight but enough to be troublesome. I adjusted the toe and discovered the tires stopped spinning off. I figured the toe in was a bit excessive and was causing very extreme side loads especially during a high speed run during takeoff. I had many many (100+) flights after that with no problems. The tires also wore like iron and are still good to use.Maybe Egil can check that on his jet.
V..
Old 07-05-2005, 03:50 PM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Vincent

Lee, I had a set of Glennis on my AD Mirage a few years back and was having troubles with them spinning off the hubs too, not every flight but enough to be troublesome. I adjusted the toe and discovered the tires stopped spinning off. I figured the toe in was a bit excessive and was causing very extreme side loads especially during a high speed run during takeoff. I had many many (100+) flights after that with no problems. The tires also wore like iron and are still good to use.Maybe Egil can check that on his jet.
V..

Hello Vincent,

Good point... I will pass this along to Egil. Sure enough sounds like too much toe-in or out could cause the problem he is having. You know that is something I never looked at the field.. good heads up info! I guess I/we never thought to check the alignment because he is having a problem with idle thrust pushing him along without applying any power during taxi. As I understand it the P-200 produces slightly more than 3 lbs of thrust at 33,000 RPMs. Egils Euro-fighter will taxi without adding any power! This idle thrust issue also bothered him during his first few landings, before learned to do higher drag nose high profile approaches with his Euro-fighter.
Lee H. DeMary
Old 07-05-2005, 04:26 PM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My .02 about wheels/tires---Any of the manufacturers' tires will run off of the wheels under the right circumstances. I'll explain.....When our jets get really rockin' down the runway at a good clip the tires WILL expand---Much like a dragster tire expands as speed increases. Will a little side load added---POW!!! The rubber departs the wheel. BVM solved this problem by the addition of the screws through the tire rubber---There's NO WAY that tire will come off of the wheel...UNLESS YOU OMIT THE SCREWS!!! (Seen it with my own two peepers[sm=stupid.gif]) I've seen Trim, Glennis, and BVM (without the screws installed) roll off of the wheel under the right conditions.

The bottom line is that you must pick the right wheel for the job. It appears to me that there is too much ground speed and too much weight involved in the gentleman's installation of the Glennis wheels. The simple addition of screws through wheel and into the tire rubber, in my opinion, would have solved his problem. I've done this with #2 socket head screws. Just drill through the wheel, tap for 2/56 thread and install the screws with a dab of Locktite. The screws do not have to go all of the way through to the other side of the wheel but should penetrate at least 80% to 90% of the tire rubber...I install the screws on both sides of the wheel, with the screws on the backside of the wheel installed between the screws on the front. Never had one come off of the wheel once this mod is made---Plus the wheels look really cool with the socket head screws around the perimeter of the wheel...Kinda like a full scale F-16 main wheel.

It is up to the end user (the modeler) to decide the proper application for the job at hand---And if it appears that what you have won't work it is, again, up to you to use your thinking cap and come up with a solution. The manufacturers don't know how the modeler will use their products and under what circumstances.

Again...Just my .02......

Kevin
Old 07-05-2005, 06:38 PM
GlennisAircraft
My Feedback: (1)

Well I should clairfy a couple of points in the previous post and this one.

First: I don't appreciate the slam toward the product with NO PRIOR PHONE CALL. This is not necessary, and it won't fix his problem. We didn't get indepth yesterday, as it was funny to see the product completely destroyed by modifications that more than likely weren't necessary. You have to consider that the tire could have had a problem - the screw caused it to break - that is a fact.

In California, the EPA (environmental) has come down hard on rubber manufacture - and the compound has changed in 16 years 4 times. Remember, all of these other companies that are so highly touted didn't exist - with the exception of BVM, which came along quite a few years after we manufactured the first and only Jet wheels/Brake system. Due to this, they have not experienced the changes we have here - this is why you might see a slight variation in some generations of product.

The Shore hardness of the tire (in this case - an EconoJet) is the same or higher than any other brand - I've had every single one in my had and checked them also. Modelers that use my product are very loyal, and they send me the stuff right out of the box to have replacement stuff made if we don't already have CAD/CAM for that aircraft.

Bolts are a tough decision, if you use them you will ruin the tire every time (if comes off) - and it will come off with bolts - witnessed it. Now you have to be a Formula One driver to do it, but it is done. If there are no bolts, the tire is not destroyed. It is a difference of design and opinion.

Secondly: I do not know what size wheel he is using, it could be a 2" and far too small for the aircraft - his aircraft could be far too nose heavy, causing excessive speed. The excess wear is directly connected to toe in / toe out. If you look at the front view of your tire, (front of the aircraft) it will appear worn off at an angle also. If you are not using any product correctly, it will fail. This is what the third post (Wojtek) did correctly, he said he thought the wear wasn't good, but he didn't tear the product apart and make wild name calling the talk of the day. If you don't manufacture what I am doing, I don't think you should make some of the claims made - you have never stood in front of a design table or machine making that piece. On the old R/C Online, this same thing happened, and as it turned out, the "kid" (in his mid/late 20's) was a Pizza delivery driver - couldn't even use a wood saw, but he sure could bash old Glennis.

The lesson here is all of this would have been solved in less than 2 minutes when I hear "hey Dennis, here is what happened" - on the 4th of July because we were here all day. Now there have been a couple of replies claiming I won't help, and I won't when you pull this stunt yesterday, but in the user who posted yesterday (not Egil), he became vulgar on the phone, and I won't tolerate that either. I'm not a church boy, but you have to show some constraint and respect.

Third: I will publicly apologize here to Marc and RCU Mod. Ghost Rider, but I don't feel they appropriatley read the second post calling me several names that all there knew weren't factual, including themselves. I never wanted to give the impression that Ghost Rider didn't do his 'job' correctly, or that he should be removed, although from the phone calls / e-mail no one though I was out of line. It was not the first time that had happened, and I didn't appreciate the way it was handled If I went on here and called either (Marc Vigod or Ghost) a habitual liar - I would be pulled, and possibly banned, but it has been allowed to have dozens of times by the same particual individual.

I personally and professionally have a reputation in this hobby second to none, for quality and being straight up - no hiding Terms or Prices, etc. on the website, etc. This gets me in trouble, because I do tell it like it is, no round about to it.

I could post in the thread dozens deep that tout the claims made by those posting in my favor. I didn't need to do that - I could have post photo's of models that put most to shame with the Glennis product, didn't do it. We have one or two that want to make the wild rambling statements of woe, but they are not backed by one single fact. In Egils case, the last set he purchased I custom machined for him to have an F-16 style face he so wanted. I never wronged him in any way, and wouldn't have when he had a problem.

And Vincent - I will see you at Scale Masters (?)

Thanks again for all of the support.

Dennis Rastetter
Glennis Aircraft
Old 07-05-2005, 09:01 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

LMAO Dennis! you've been censored
Old 07-05-2005, 11:23 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

if ya want the best, you gotta pay for the best [sm=thumbup.gif]
Glennis all the way.

I have a set on a 36 lb 102" 109. she sits on her wheels, all day, 24/7.
no flat spots, no lumps bumps or otherwise. they are by far, awsume
wheels AND tires.

I saw a wheel from Glennis break last year at Bomber Field on the same type of 109. did the pilot
piss and whine about it? no, he called Dennis and said he broke a wheel, and needed a new one.
Dennis asked him to send the broken one to him, and he would send him another. no questions.
pretty simple really, its picking up the phone, and "asking" questions.

who what when where how and why. sure goes along ways when all you have to do, is be polite
from the customer end, and its amazing how well you get treated, by the Manufacture [8D]