Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Picture Hanger Wire

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Picture Hanger Wire

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 09:24 AM
DrDeath
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Picture Hanger Wire

Has anyone used Picture Hanger wire for their flying wires? I have been told that fishing led was a good choice. While at my local hardware store buying bolts, I noticed some thin picture hanger wire that looks like steal cables. This looks like a cheaper, but stronger alternative to buying kits from the local hobby shop. I am not worried about the added weight since that plane has a heavy gas engine on the front.

Lee
Old 07-06-2005, 09:33 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Picture Hanger Wire

Why not? It is also very easy to solder your connections to. I use it for hot wire to cut foam.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:37 AM
DrDeath

Thanks for the confirmation. I thought that it wouldn't be a problem to use. At $1.69 for about 25 feet of the stuff, it is A LOT cheaper than buying a kit.

Thanks again.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:56 AM
vicman

You can also use the coated leader material for fishing.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:08 AM
ecmiller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For asthetic purposes it's OK, but not for functional flying/landing wires. It is not strong enough.

You can do what you want, but I'd hate to see someone center punch the ground with an airplane over $1.69 roll of picture wire.

[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 07-06-2005, 11:11 AM
vicman

The leader material is plenty strong. The real thin stuff is 30lb test. I use the 60.[8D]
Old 07-06-2005, 12:37 PM
DrDeath

So, it sounds like fishing leader wire is the way to go. I have heard that from other members of my clubs.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:18 PM
DesignMan

I think that picture hanging wire is simple iron, not steel. BEWARE!
Old 07-06-2005, 01:33 PM
DrDeath

This has become an interesting thread. If picture hanging wire can suspend a 40 pound picture and goes on a plane that is very docile would it be safe. That is the big question. There are different thoughts being voiced. I am leaning toward leader wire for fishing since that has been suggested by a few people I know who are extremely good builders. But, if the hanger wire is steel and tested for a 40 pounds, why wouldn't it work? Again, just curious not looking for flame on situations. Looking to build that's all
Old 07-06-2005, 06:05 PM
BillS

Picture hanging wire is steel and will be just fine. Fishing leader is however better quality steel and most will be stainless steel. For the same diameter wire the fishing leader will carry a greater load. Fishing leader packaging will tell you more about the loads that can be carried and it is designed to be flexible.

Bill
Old 07-06-2005, 10:22 PM
DrDeath

Thanks Bill,

I stopped by my field today on my way home from work and spoke to two guys that I respect their building knowledge. Both said go with the fishing leader wire. One had one of his "Little Planes" with him, a 40% Radiocraft that he had used Fishing leader for the pull/pull rudder setup. Stuff looks great and I have seen this plane fly so I know it can take the little stress that my 1/4 scale Cub and my 1/3 scale Spacewalker can dish out. So I will be going with the fishing leader.

Thanks for everyones input.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:18 PM
upnflyin

DR. Take a pair of side cutters and cut some picture hanger wire and you will find that it is really soft. I would also recommend the fishing leader.
Al
Old 07-07-2005, 06:30 AM
FenceMagnet
My Feedback: (2)

FWIW, the common misconception is that stainless steel is stronger than carbon steel.... NOT true.... and, since it has so little carbon, stainless steel can not be heat treated to be anywhere near as hard as carbon steel..... that's why stainless makes such lousy knife blades...

[:-]
Old 07-07-2005, 09:00 AM
vicman

Not to enter a metalurgy debate but... strength and toughness are two different qualities. Sugical blades are made from a version of stainless (400 series) that has carbon in it to give it more toughness and hardness, yes it can be hardend, it is magnetic, and will even rust under the right conditions[X(]. The leader material is made from this type of stainless steel.[sm=thumbup.gif]