IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

IMAC "E" plane in 2 meter size.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 08:49 PM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IMAC "E" plane in 2 meter size.

I am looking for an IMAC/SCAT/Scale Aerobatic plane that is in the 2 meter/11 to 13 pound range for a HAcker Brushless and LiPo setup. I currently am flying a Funtana 140S, a real hoot to fly, but I don't think the IMAC guys would allow it to compete... any suggestions? I know I can go the multi engine route and belt'em together, but 2 meter (78 inches) is a size that flies OK and I can transport it. up to 13 pounds, the C50 14XL and a 10S3P or 10S4P will pull it thru verticals good too...
Old 02-07-2005, 09:01 PM
racekannon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: IMAC "E" plane in 2 meter size.

A 27% Colombo would be perfect I think. I am finishing a 24% that is going to make 10.5 pounds electric.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:01 PM
JasonG
My Feedback: (1)

I flew a Colombo Anderson 27% Extra in IMAC last year. It is a great model to convert because it builds very light weight and just flies awesome. Mine weighed 13.5 pounds, but it flew very light and power was no problem. I used a C50-14XL at 6.7:1 and 10s3p thunderpower cells. The APC 22x12 turned out to be the best performing prop that i tried. You will probably have to use one elevator servo up near the rudder servo to get the balance correct. I used a 5945 and it seemed to handle the load fine. This combo brought me a second place finish out of 15 at the BME power challenge in Waco, TX. I was very happy with the results.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49728.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	226270  
Old 02-07-2005, 09:11 PM
mithrandir

That plane looks sweet... unfortunately I am condemned to a life of ARF's... is something like this available in an ARF condition?

thanks!!
Old 02-07-2005, 10:15 PM
JasonG
My Feedback: (1)

I believe they offer the Colombo in a ARC version. You might check out the Planes Plus 27% Extra. The dimensions match the Colombo, but its completely built and covered. Looks like a pretty good deal.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:11 PM
mithrandir

ORIGINAL: JasonG

I believe they offer the Colombo in a ARC version. You might check out the Planes Plus 27% Extra. The dimensions match the Colombo, but its completely built and covered. Looks like a pretty good deal.
I am checking into the planes plus...
Any word on the Great Planes Extra 260? Or maybe the GILES that they have? Anybody fly one of the Model 12 Pitts yet...
With the electric power plant, I just think weight will make or break this deal.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:41 PM
PepsiMike

Wouldn't a Dave Patrick Extra 330 or Edge 540 be a good candidate? They are suppose to be quite light.

Chip Hyde's Cap X is also a lightweight airframe.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:21 PM
awat65
My Feedback: (17)

Comp-Arf 2X2 Extra
Old 02-09-2005, 12:07 PM
mithrandir

I asked Jason Shulman about this plane. his response was that it was 5.8 Kg (13 pounds'ish?) with 10S3P batteries... I think IMAC requires a canopy and pilot... so I am not sure it would qualify???

ORIGINAL: awat65

Comp-Arf 2X2 Extra
Old 02-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Kitman
My Feedback: (13)

Look at the Planes Plus 27%

www.planesplus.com

Kitman
Old 02-12-2005, 02:11 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: mithrandir

I am checking into the planes plus...
Any word on the Great Planes Extra 160? Or maybe the GILES that they have? Anybody fly one of the Model 12 Pitts yet...
With the electric power plant, I just think weight will make or break this deal.
I had the Great pains G-202. they claim a flying weight of 12-14 lbs. I got it down to 10 3/4 lbs with a 140L on it. the wing snapped on the maiden flight, to no fault of my own (the little people that built it went too far when cutting out the ailerons and cut into a sub spar and that's RIGHT where it broke). Great planes replaced the kit free of charge and shipping, but after the first one damaged my 140L, I promptly sold the one they gave me. It was probably a fluke, but it has steered me away from any of their ARFs.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:58 PM
Norm-RCU

I e-mailed Planes Plus about their 27% Extra several days ago. They list the weight as "TBD", but show pictures and video of one. I asked for the weight, and if they had any pictures with the hatch off, etc. They have not replied. Listing the weight as "to be determined" is not very assuring on one they are already flying.

It could be viable as an ARF, being the same price as the ARC 27% CA.

Norm
Old 02-12-2005, 03:03 PM
Norm-RCU

BTW, this one looks interesting but it's not quite a 2-meter, and I don't know what the quality is like on these CMP models. http://www.cmpairplane.com/G-202-140.htm

I can't get any additional information on this one either as no one seems to have it in stock yet. CMP didn't answer my e-mail about when and where it would be available.

Norm
Old 02-15-2005, 11:25 AM
mithrandir

ORIGINAL: Norm-RCU

BTW, this one looks interesting but it's not quite a 2-meter, and I don't know what the quality is like on these CMP models. http://www.cmpairplane.com/G-202-140.htm

I can't get any additional information on this one either as no one seems to have it in stock yet. CMP didn't answer my e-mail about when and where it would be available.

Norm
My experiance with the CMP (Giantscaleplanes.com , chiefaircraft.com) is that they are a little heavy, and the composite parts are made from some funky non-epoxy resin...(Vinylester, mono-ester???)
I have one of the 72" KATANA's and it weighs about 12 pounds dry with OS 160. I got 300 flights on it.. flies OK.. but a bit of a stone. I had the 69" GILES... in many respects a great flyer, but again.. heavy! And there always seems to be one significant engineering inadequacy... like the landing gear mount, or wing tube or something... (IMHO)

This is new.... (To me anyway)
I wonder if this is IMAC'able??

http://www.icare-rc.com/giles_202.htm
Old 02-15-2005, 02:17 PM
mithrandir

Re: http://www.icare-rc.com/giles_202.htm

I called ICARE and spoke with someone there about this new all molded GILES. It is a beautiful plane, but the gentleman I spoke with was not really able to give me any flight evaluation. When I asked him about Rudder coupling, I did not get the sense he even understood what I was referring to. I get the idea this is a scale model of an aerobatic airplane rather then an Aerobatic scale model of an aerobatic airplane. At $900.00, I am gonna let someone else "Beta Test" it
Old 02-15-2005, 06:36 PM
Norm-RCU

Yeah, it looks a bit expensive, plus I'm not too comfortable with all composit stuff. I understand what you're saying about the CMP kits, but the one I referenced has carbon fiber wing tube and landing gear so maybe they are trying harder to keep the weight down on it. Makes little difference if they won't give us any information about where to get one.

Norm
Old 02-15-2005, 07:14 PM
racekannon

I would say buy a ARC Colombo and even if you do a basic scheme the graphic guys can make it look like a million bucks or find someone to cover you one. It is a known solution. I am waiting on a NeuMotor while fondling a Hacker 90 ESC, I know I'am sick.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:02 PM
Norm-RCU

The CA 27% Extra sure does look good. Not sure if I'd want to spend the extra $200. for the ARC over the kit price, but it's probably worth it.

Norm
Old 03-09-2005, 01:55 AM
mithrandir

Well... this is what I am gonna try... I understand in this size, it is very IMAC'able and a 3D hoot to fly!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3422627

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_27.../anchor/tm.htm

XOXOXOXOXOXOX
Old 07-07-2005, 04:32 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The CMP Giles G202 kit I have feels light. I am in the build process currently, so do not have a final weight but expect it to be 10.5 lbs when done. I do not own a scale and have to bring the plane to work to weight it but will try to do so.

Have seen other models from CMP heavy esp. tail heavy but this one seems different. Comes with CF wing tube and Landing gear. With a YS 1.40L in the nose I have been able to balance the plane @ 140mm which is the back of thier recommended without any extra weight and with the rudder servo in the tail which is stock set-up.

Will try to report back.

Paul
Old 07-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Norm-RCU

Ah, finally someone has this plane. Paul, I'd be very interested in the final weight. Who did you get the kit from?

Norm