Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Goop - useable at last!

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Goop - useable at last!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 07:31 PM
DesignMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goop - useable at last!

I love to use Goop adhesive. It is tough and flexible, totally fuelproof and sticks like crazy. BUT!!! It is a real pain to apply because it is so thick.

Last night, in desparation I tried thinning it with lacquer thinner (the cheap hardware store brush cleaner quality). It worked like a charm. I could apply it with perfect control from the end of a toothpick. It flowed out to a nice fillet. It seems to have retained all its good qualities.

I'm a happy camper, fer sure!
Old 07-06-2005, 02:15 AM
MAJSteve
My Feedback: (-1)

Default RE: Goop - useable at last!

GOOP is about the only adhesive I can't stand the smell of. Put a lot of it on something and the smell lasts for days if not longer.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:25 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used it to mount an airtank. When I crashed my Spitfire, it stayed put. I'm almost afraid to remove it cause it might damage the glass fuse. It sticks great to polyester and epoxy glass fuses. Thinning is a great idea, thanks.
Edwin
Old 07-06-2005, 11:25 AM
DesignMan

MAJsteve - are you sure you aren't thinking of Silicone Seal? It does have a nasty vinegar (acetic acid) smell. I never noticed any specially evil smell from Goop. (But then my feet smell more than my nose does anymore)
Old 07-08-2005, 03:02 AM
MAJSteve
My Feedback: (-1)

Nope, I use silicon all the time. The acetic acid smell I know well. The GOOP I used smelled a lot worse and didn't stop smelling for over a week. I think there are a few different types of GOOP though.