Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

I NEED A TRAILER FOR MY PLANES !!!

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

I NEED A TRAILER FOR MY PLANES !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 12:57 PM
Dai Phan
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I NEED A TRAILER FOR MY PLANES !!!

Hello,

I fly biplanes ( about 70" span) and I am tired of putting the wings on and off and attaching flying wires at the field !!! I am thinking about getting a small trailer like the Uhaul smallest one. I wonder if there is a place I can buy cheap as they always go for at least 1-2 grands! It does not need to be fancy, just functional. I drive a BMW 325i so will installing a hitch de-value the car when I decide to sell it? Please advise. Thanks!!! DP
Old 07-11-2005, 02:23 PM
bbbair

Default RE: I NEED A TRAILER FOR MY PLANES !!!

Everything that you ever wanted to know and were afraid to ask about trailers - has already been said and done, here;
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3113482/tm.htm

Be sure to look for the link to the site that sells trailers - it's very interesting.

As to the loss of value on your BMW- a trailer hitch never hurts the value of a car if it has been installed properly - see your local dealer.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:55 PM
Dai Phan

Hi,

Thank you for the info but I am looking to buy ready to haul trailer. I can't find the link that sells the trailers at all. I see Harbor Freight and a place that sells fan. Am I missing something? DP
Old 07-13-2005, 02:16 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't see a link to a ready-made trailer either. I'm kind of in the same position as you--I just bought an '05 Mustang and put my pickup out for sale, so I'm researching my options for plane transport. Keeping and insuring the truck is too expensive, and the Mustang don't hold much, nor does my wife's car. I haven't had a lot of luck looking for trailers in the classifieds, but there seems to be a fair amount auctioned on Ebay Motors, if you don't mind looking there. Other than that, I'd say just stop by your local trailer dealer and ask if they deal in used trailers--that's my next step, I think. Just got to see if there's a 'No-drill' hitch package out for the mustang yet.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:47 PM
Dai Phan

Matt,

Looks like we have to go to one of the places that sells trailers. The problem is when they see my BMW, they think I am loaded and beef up the price as these trailers don't have price tags in them. All I need is a small one like the UHaul smallest one to carry my biplanes and they always run about 2000 bucks!!! DP
Old 07-14-2005, 01:59 PM
BuzzBomber

DP, check out these guys: [link=http://www.cargotrailersusa.com/index.asp]Cargo Trailers USA[/link]

I just found this page. I've got no idea what they charge for delivery, but they have 5x8 trailers listed under $1500.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:00 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

find someone that drives a yugo and ask to borrow thier car maybe they will feel sorry for you and lower the price lol.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:28 PM
Dai Phan

Carlos,

Thanks for the tip. Here is a good one for you since we're in Yugo mode...

Did you know that Yugo has the highest rating in safety for all cars in America?

Yes, because on the road, they spend all their time behind the tow-truck !!! HAHAHAHA

Thanks Matt for the info. The problem is there is a charge for delivery and this will push it beyond 2 grands!!! Any of you can help us out? DP
Old 07-14-2005, 02:58 PM
BuzzBomber

Yeah, after I posted I realized that they're in MD and you're in AZ. Not really conducive to cheap delivery.

Hmm, how about this one: http://www.jackssonstrailers.com/ They've even got a coupon. I'm out of ideas; maybe a search on Google Local will turn up a local dealer you haven't already found, perhaps someone who sells used stuff?
Old 07-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Dai Phan

Matt,

Look like I have to rely on local trailer dealer here. I REALLY need a trailer because I just can't imagine myself spending 30 minutes installing the wings and flying wires for each plane I fly. Thanks bud ! DP
Old 07-14-2005, 08:55 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Check Lowes and Home Depot. They both have decent prices on new trailers. Or do a redneck trailer. Thats were you buy a wrecked pickup for $250 and cut the frame off under the cab. Then bring the two sides of the frame together in a "V" shape and weld a hitch on. They already have lights and are easy to wire. The whole thing can be done for less then $500.

David