Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

not shifting when warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 02:32 PM
...savage.. .

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not shifting when warmed up

Hi enthusiasts.
I have had my savage 25 rtr for a couple of weeks now and have realised it only shifts into second gear when I first run it!
My brother also noticed so now I have run 1/2 a gallon through It I tried adjusting the shift point by turning the gear box counter clockwise to the point I dare not back it off any more in case it falls out!Is this possible?It looks to be reving high enough to shift gear but it does not.Any ideas?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions, ideas...
Old 07-11-2005, 02:53 PM
racer man05

Default RE: not shifting when warmed up

sounds weird... make sure your turning it the rigth way and u can also try turning it in the other direction also. another thing is make sure ur turnign the right screw in the transmission case. the manual has pictures if u need help
Old 07-11-2005, 03:09 PM
...savage.. .

I am pretty sure its the right screw and the right direction but will double check next time out(week end).Any one know what the upper(wrong screw)actually does?
Old 07-11-2005, 04:06 PM
Geeza!

Hi, if you have loosened the grub screw that much, i would say it's probably shifting instantly? that's why you can't hear it.
Turn the grub screw clockwise completely closed, then turn it anti clockwise 4.5 turns, that is factory set up, then with the engine running, hold the truck off the ground with the roll bar, gradually increase the revs, if it is shifting you will feel it
Old 07-11-2005, 05:46 PM
...savage.. .

O.K
Will try that next time out.Pretty sure its not shifting,but will listen even more closely next time.Still sure its a single gear buggy ,at the mo.......
Old 07-11-2005, 05:56 PM
miltmo

Tuning problem maybe? Here's my theory. When the tank is full and the truck is cold, your truck is tuned good enough to shift. When it warms up and gets too lean via the tank leaning it out, the engine gets too hot, you start losing power and it won't shift. Just an idea.

Mine wouldn't shift at one point because I had a rock wedged against one of my drive shafts causing a bit of binding. You may want to check that as well.

Good luck!
Old 07-11-2005, 06:00 PM
...savage.. .

O.K
Will try latest advice,however not convinced, but will follow recommendations and will let you know how I get on!
Old 07-11-2005, 06:09 PM
...savage.. .

miltmo,
Your theory sounds good,and it seems to be true,will act on your advice and let you what happens..Any news on the wrong......gear?
Old 07-11-2005, 06:44 PM
JEXTEL
My Feedback: (1)

the only thing I can come up with is your engine is shot.Can it hold a tune? does it run? does it idle after it has been running a operating temps?
Old 07-12-2005, 06:27 AM
gerwen

I think you should try geeza's advice.

If you've adjusted the shift point to be very early, while the engine is warming up and weak, you get to hear it shift as it takes a while to get the revs up to the shift point. Once it's warmed up and strong, the engine shifts as soon as you hit the throttle. There's no rev up and then shift changing revs so you don't hear the change.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:28 PM
...savage.. .

O.K
When i say it shifts when first started I mean within about 30 secs of firing it up.Dont think engine is shot beacause I was very careful with the running in process and 1/2 a gallon(from brand new) only equates to about 12 tanks thru' it.Also I have a laser engine thermometer and I make sure it does not get too hot.Was running for about 3hrs last time out and yes it idles fine albeit a bit quick.Will reset gearbox to factory settings and keep you posted.
Once again thanks for the advice
Old 07-25-2005, 02:16 PM
...savage.. .

Cheers miltmo,I followed every ones suggestions by first resetting the shift point to factory and also noticed a stone in one of the drive shafts........resulting in the best day out ever yesterday.cheers guys and thanks for the answers.