Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Help with warped ARF panels

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Help with warped ARF panels

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2002, 08:42 PM
mantonj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with warped ARF panels

I recently started building my first glow ARF, a ModelTech Magic .40-sized 3D plane.

The plane goes together fast, and I had already CA'd the aileron hinges in and mounted the servos before I noticed that the ailerons were warped! Not just one, but both of them, and in different ways (one is "bowed" across the diagonal of the panel, the other across the length of the panel). Since this is a 3D plane, these surfaces are quite large, and I will never be able to get the plane properly set up without performing some kind of fix.

Since the panels are already CAed in place, I would have to cut them off and re-mount them if I wanted to use "standard" methods of removing a warp (I sure wish I had inspected the plane more carefully out of the box, when this would have been easier). But I would prefer not to do that - I purchased the plane to have something I could get up in the air quickly, and don't relish the idea of spending a lot of time fixing this (there are several other imperfections in the plane, though less extreme, that I won't be able to fix, such as the leading edges being shaped slightly differently for the two wing halves).

Any suggestions for how to do a "quick fix" on these ailerons? I wouldn't mind if they were warped the same way, since then at least they would affect the plane equally on both sides. But as it is, there will be no way to trim out the effects of the warping for the plane's intended purpose (to start learning 3D maneuvers).

Keep in mind that it is a bit awkward to work on the panels with them connected to the wings - it would be great if I could do something with just a heat gun or iron.

This problem is new for me. Previously I had only built kits and small foam park/indoor flyer electrics (and one small scratch-built balsa plane). None of the foam planes ever had warping problems, and with the wood planes I was careful during the building and covering process to get (and keep) everything aligned properly.

Thanks for any advice,
Jonathan
Old 10-21-2002, 03:00 PM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a simalar problem with a kit, I put the washout into the wing then forgot all about the ailerons....OOOOPS Well I had someone helping and flexing the aileron while I went up and down both sides with a iron and worked out well, I don't know how the magic is built but if they are built up ailerons it should work for you rather easily and if they are solid balso like mine where it will take a little more time but can be done.

Best of luck
Dauntae
Old 10-23-2002, 01:36 PM
mantonj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks - tried that, and it worked pretty well. Didn't have anyone to help me with the panels, but was able to sort of bend them a bit with one hand while using a heat gun (at long range) with the other. Luckily I had one of those insulating gloves, or it would have been a bit painful...

Didn't get them straight, but at least they are now warped in almost exactly the same way (both bowed lengthwise, with the same amount of bowing, with the crest of the bow in the same place, and the ailerons "level" with each other in the middle).

Thanks for your advice!

Jonathan