Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Sophia J450

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Sophia J450

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 01:48 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sophia J450

Can anyone educate me about this engine? I found what looks like a web site for the mfgr, but I don't read Japanese.

About the only thing I have heard is that it is difficult to start, which seems to indicate that it cannot be adapted to an autostart system. Wonder what that is going to entail to deal with.
How much thrust? How much weight?

Does the ECU include the fuel pump? If not, then what? Is there anyone providing any US support, or does a prospective buyer get to play games internationally?

Yes, I am looking. I have the wants but not the spare wheelbarrow of $ for a JetCat .
Old 06-30-2004, 03:14 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sophia J450

Jim

I understand about not having a big enough wheelbarrow. A lot of people have tried to save money by going the cheaper route and in the end all they have is a money pit, a lot of aggravation and possibly a broken plane.
I would suggest saving up until you can get something a little more reliable.

JMO
Old 06-30-2004, 03:18 PM
Jim Branaum

Thanks for the response Bob. How are the ribs?

Your comment suggests that this particular brand has reliability problems. Where can I find more out about this and other interesting and expensive things? <G>
Old 06-30-2004, 03:35 PM
K Jorgensen
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Jim

They dont make the Sophis turbines anymore. So save that extra $$$ and get one of the turbines that is on the market today...The Sofia will a lose of your $$$$
Old 06-30-2004, 03:35 PM
bcovish

Jim

The ribs are doing better. Still a little sensitive but well on the mend. Thanks for asking.

Maybe reliable wasn't the correct word. Maybe just a little more up to date should be a better term. There were two here in Austin and I don't think either one of them flew.

I don't know where to go to find out more about the engine.

I guess the bottom line here is to go with something that you know works and you know that service is available. Also as you know, new rules go into effect Jan 1 concerning failsafe with the ECU.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:46 PM
Jim Branaum

Hmmm...

I had been thinking of a Wren 54 mk3 or SuperSport KIT, but this came up. Note I said WREN rather than JDE. Comments?

Nomex on!
Old 06-30-2004, 04:04 PM
bcovish

Jim

I personnally know nothing about the Wren, have seen a number of them fly and they seem to work.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:12 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jim Branaum

Hmmm...

I had been thinking of a Wren 54 mk3 or SuperSport KIT, but this came up. Note I said WREN rather than JDE. Comments?

Nomex on!
Jim,
Having had dealings with both companies (JDE and Wren) all I can say is that Wren is a pleasure to do business with, they are honest and know what they are doing. There products are excellent and service is better than that. A real pleasure, I have had 3 or 4 dealings with them in the past few years and will give them more business in the future. My Wren MW54runs great! I'd buy another in a heartbeat. If you want to hear of my dealings with JDE PM or email me, I dont want to get into it here...

AJC
Old 06-30-2004, 10:43 PM
dribbe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Sophia 450 is a 2nd generation engine (just after JPX 240).... I would say current ones are 5th or 6th....

ECU's, fuel systems, and controls vary a lot depending on when they were made, and where they were sold.

They are generally not supported at this time.
The perhaps made 12-13 pounds of thrust, and were pretty heavy.
Unless you are an expert, it is probably difficult to make reliable.

I personally, would avoid the 450.... it is ready for the museum. (And I still fly two J850's, which are vastly superior, but not supported at this time.)

Save your $ for a more modern turbine.

Regards, David
Old 07-25-2005, 11:47 PM
raptorman_8
My Feedback: (26)

Hi there I have sophi j450 and I am having some problems with keeping it running after its running as soon as I let go of the EEC start button it will shut off on me. Then I have a fuel pressure problem at full throttle I only have about 4 pounds of pressure but seems like 20 going threw the fuel pump. I have the motor in a kangeroo jet I have every thing ready to go only waiting on the motor. And I also had fuel shoot out the back of motor while it was running and flames dripped out and got my deck on fire nothing big but I thought to much fuel to motor but I dont no what my pressure is it should be 10 pounds on start up to 14 then idle is 4 to 5 pounds after start up. But who knows what I am getting I have been going for that close guess I am good but just not enough. I could use some help I am wearing thin on this motor. I have a A-7 corsair jet ducted fan that is not that hard to start but I just want fly my turbine Thanks Jeff please let me no
Old 07-26-2005, 02:40 AM
john agnew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jim

I have all three current Wren turbines. I built my 54 Mk3 from the kit, very easy job, took me four hours and it started and ran perfectly at the first attempt. I have recently acquired a Supersport which is not available in kit form as yet and may not be in the future.

The Supersport is a fantastic turbine with 4lbs more thrust and a much quicker throttle response than the Mk 3, it is, of course, a bit more expensive!

I could not reccomend Wren turbines more strongly, the product is superb, the people are a pleasure to deal with and they are constantly doing real R&D work and updating and improving their product line. If you do decide to go Wren I guarantee you will not regret it.

John
Old 07-26-2005, 06:32 AM
GrayUK

Jim

I have 3 Wrens
2 MW44 and 1 MW54.

I beleive they are the best engines out there and as far as i am concerned the service is second to none.

Old 08-11-2005, 12:21 AM
raptorman_8
My Feedback: (26)

I need two bearings for sophi 450 anyone no of any let me no.
Jeff