Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Landing a delta

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Landing a delta

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 03:41 PM
sportflyer-RCU
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Landing a delta

I fly off a short 350 ft runway. Is it difficult to get a delta config plane like the Super Reaper to land on this short field? Read from the vaious postings that a nose high approach is required. What is the correct sequence of events from the downwind leg to landing? Tks
Old 08-03-2005, 04:11 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Landing a delta

I hope he doesn't mind me posting this link but check this vid out:

http://www.paf-flugmodelle.de/spunki.wmv

The video is awesome but the bit of interest is the landing. It is mega mega short. You should have no probs with 350 ft.

You need to slow right down (tricky with the Reaper apparantly). You will really need to hold the nose up (check out the video). As the nose is held up and the speed drops off the model will start to sink. At this point you need to keep the nose high and add a bit of power. You'll be suprised how slow it will go.

I'm sure other people will give you better, more in depth advice on the sequence of events.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:03 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

The Reaper does not like nose high attitudes (at least ours doesn't)

If you can get it to touch down in the first 50 feet or so, it will be no problem. The challenge is in getting a stablized approach to allow this to happen.. You will notice the wing wag on Spunky's appraoch. It also looks like he has a terrific headwind as well. Even at that, he missed the runway and landed on the grass. This is not a negative reflection on the pilots ability, but demonstrates that is is not an easy airframe to put put down where you want to. It is much easier to land when runway length is not an issue. There are better jets out there for shorter runways - the Reaction 54 comes to mind....
Old 08-04-2005, 07:51 AM
Glorfindel

If you can get a hand on a roo2, it's a nice plane too. Think the Rookie can do the job too. Look at this link, i'm landing mine with no headwind at all on a 325'*12 paved strip.

After the last turn i cut throttle, put the airbrake out and the plane came in with a little nose high attitude and land easily. I tried to do a little wheele on the end

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=RooMini2
Old 08-04-2005, 05:17 PM
J. Campbell
My Feedback: (31)

The only problem i could see is a super reaper is a foater, idle thrust of a large engine will fly it right past you.. Other than that , deltas land very slow.. Russ
Old 08-04-2005, 05:34 PM
HenryRG

Landing the Reaper

Landing the Reaper with the conventional setup is tricky with a powerful engine, because the wing is very efficient.

If you have a computer transmitter, you can get a reasonably steep descent, for short landings, by setting the model up in elevon mode and arrange a switch on your transmitter to give heavy up trim on the elevons and compensating downtrim on the canards. The net result is you shed lift, without an enormously high alpha. With a bit of practice greasy short landings in front of you should become routine. If you can not touch down just in front of you and you have the fuel; go around again.

The model does NOT need air brakes, contra acting rudders or other fancy mods.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:38 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: sportflyer-RCU

I fly off a short 350 ft runway. Is it difficult to get a delta config plane like the Super Reaper to land on this short field? Read from the vaious postings that a nose high approach is required. What is the correct sequence of events from the downwind leg to landing? Tks
Sportflyer,
if your looking for a plane that will land easily on 350 ft easily, you might want to consider a Eurosport...

Have a look [link=http://69.6.238.137/Video/Landing.wmv]HERE[/link]
Todd
Old 08-04-2005, 11:39 PM
CFII1974
My Feedback: (5)

I'll second Todd on that. I have had landing rolls shorter the 30 feet many times and a few under 15 when I trying.

Dave
Old 08-04-2005, 11:53 PM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Sportflyer,

The only way to consistently land the Reaper on a short field is to kill the turbine after you are lined up and far enough out. As mentioned, the Reaper's is a floater due to the wings and I've never been able to alpha land the bird. I get upset when I see the Eurosport come in nose high and set down on a dime. It would take some practice to get the Reaper to land on a short field, you would really have to be ahead of the game on judging airspeed and throttle management. I would also advise on ditching the stock wire gear and get something more beefy and that does not act like a big spring. Even with the Reaper's hang up, it sure is a joy to fly in the air and has a good presence.

JR Gautreaux
Old 08-05-2005, 12:06 AM
sportflyer-RCU

From the video , the Eurosport really can land in a short field. I am impressed . However since I am fairly new to turbines with only 50 flights to my credit , I was looking for something less costly which is why I was looking at the Super Reaper with delta/canard config so there is almost no chance of a stall . But now I need to rethink this since the landing could be a problem .
Old 08-05-2005, 10:27 AM
rcbart

Sportflyer, If you are going to be Whitbey, we will have the Super Reaper there, so you can watch it fly and feel free to ask any questions. As in years past, there should be a good cross section of jets there, so you can make observations and comparisons all weekend long..............
Old 08-05-2005, 10:36 AM
Glorfindel

Like i said, go witgh a roo2 or a rookie...Cheap, flying good and easy to land...
Old 08-05-2005, 08:56 PM
HenryRG

Sport Flyer

If you are looking for really short take-off/landing abilities with a jet, and are willing to pay a bit more - go for the Baby Boomerang. Because the flap has a boom at each end, there is no air leakage around the flap tips. The result is that the flap is just awesome. With a little wind she will hover like a helicopter. With that you should be able to land and take off in about 30 yds using 14lbs thrust jets upwards. Knife edge and other advanced aerobatics are all within its capability.

The snag is that she does not handle high winds and rough weather as well as the Reaper, which will handle 30-40mph winds pretty well, and is probably the nearest you will get to a cheap all weather flier. Generally a canard configuration such as the Reaper and Eurosport will outperform (ie achieve tighter turns and maintain a higher alpha) than straight deltas such as the Javelin, Mirage, Hotspot etc. as the canard remains in clean air whatever the alpha. I have seen pictures of Hotspots, Roos etc. moded to take a front canard, together with claims by their owners that this has brought a considerable improvement.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:21 AM
sportflyer-RCU

Plse supply link to Baby Boomerang . Tks
Old 08-06-2005, 11:50 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

A Facet 1200 would work on your short field.

http://s43500.sites99.storefront-hos...facet1200.aspx

http://s43500.sites99.storefront-hos...cet1200hp.aspx
Old 08-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Chris Smith
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Todd,
What engine is in the Eurosport?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 08-06-2005, 12:02 PM
HenryRG

sportflyer-RCU

The link you want is

http://www.boomerangjets.com/

I enclose a picture of my model. There is a very big thread on RC Universe - mainly about building rather than flying this model, which is well worth reading. If you decide to go for it - fit a big battery for the receiver and ECU in the nose rather than weight. You then find she is very reliable and you will find you have the enthusiasm to burn off 25 litres a day every time you take her out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68261.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	306365  
Old 08-09-2005, 03:10 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: CJets

Todd,
What engine is in the Eurosport?

Thanks,
Chris
Chris,
I had several engines in the euro.... P-120, P-160 and the Merlin.... Video above is with the Merlin which is by far, the perfect match for this airframe.

Todd
Old 08-18-2005, 07:14 AM
Heatseeker_Hill

secret to landing the reaper is bleed all speed of before you set up the approach and then just control decent with the trottle when you have the correct landing attitude. or you could go for a proper model