Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Multiplex Evo 12?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Multiplex Evo 12?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 10:00 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Multiplex Evo 12?

Is anyone here using this radio? What are your personal experiences or what have you witnessed?

Thanks for any info.

George
Old 08-28-2005, 03:18 PM
JohnMac

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Multiplex Evo 12?

It is a very capable radio for jets. The usual Multiplex reliability and extrordinary mixing capability.
It is recomended.
regards,

John
ORIGINAL: George

Is anyone here using this radio? What are your personal experiences or what have you witnessed?

Thanks for any info.

George
Old 08-29-2005, 06:15 AM
ytrewq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi George,
As an EVO12 owner for 18 months I think I should give you a list of my experiences with this set.

1. In the first 8 months stopped working twice, returned to makers for repair. stopped working a
third time, T.X. and T.X. module replaced by dealer.

2. After 6 months with this new kit it started smoking whilst on charge, sent for repairs. Service
agent replaced several parts and replaced faulty T.X. module.

The EVO 12 is now a bookend on a shelf.
After downloading eveything I could find on the net, personally I found the programming to
be a nightmare.
These are only my experiences and may not be those of other owners.
I have now got an 14MZ to a collective sigh of relief from my remaining fleet.

Regards
Alan
Old 08-29-2005, 07:04 AM
George

Alan, thanks! That is exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Do you think you got a lemon or have you seen others have the same issues?

John, do you fly an Evo 12. I was directed to RCGroups, but that thread is useless to me b/c it is four chapters and 311 pages worth of post long dating back more than 2 years. I'm looking for ALL feedback in order to make an informed decision.

George
Old 08-29-2005, 07:50 AM
pecojets

i dont own a evo , but i has owned multiplex for more than 20 years without a problem
right now i have the 3030 and the copkpit mm , there are great radios.

to my khwolege the firts run of evos have to be recall in europe [X(] ; i was in spain and try to purchase one in 35 mhz , and they were unavailable , due to that . THE FIRTS EVO fails WERE IN part THE CAUSE OF HITEC PURCHASE MULTIPLEX; . theres only one EVO , IN my flying field , and is working well and the owner is very happy with the features and mixing
I have been told that all fails have been corrected and radios are working well now.

i have so confidence in multiplex, that my next radio will be a EVO[8D]

PECOJETS
Old 08-29-2005, 04:08 PM
ytrewq

Hi George,
Sorry don't know anybody else with an EVO. As my set was replaced I assume I must have had
two lemons.
I would advise anybody who was thinking of getting an EVO to try and get theire hands on one and try and programme in what they want. I had terrible problems, on one occasion I configured a "free
mixer" and it affected other model memories. The 12 mixers are not for each model like Futaba, but are shared between all model memories, if you create a special mix for a one off model, it's of no further use. Once a "free mixer" has been assigned it cannot be errased or used for another mix, so you can soon run out if you fly different types of models.
I suppose I've been brainwashed ( who said it shrunk in the wash) by Japanese systems over many years since the first computer set.
Regards
Alan
Old 08-29-2005, 04:58 PM
George

"Free mixers"? Oh no, now you got me scared Alan. I'll have to look into that for sure to see what the heck that is all about. These are the kinds of things I'm looking for, thanks. I'm not sure this will be a problem b/c all I'll flying is conventional and delta, but who knows.

Thanks again,

George
Old 08-29-2005, 05:00 PM
JohnMac

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi George,
No personally I do not fly an Evo for one simple reason. I already owned two MC 4000's when the Evo first appeared. I would have had some difficulty persuading she who must be obeyed of the need of a new radio
However, I know lots of people who have them and all seem to be well satisfied with them. My personal experience and that observed over the years of others, has been of very high reliability. I personally have never had a fault in 18 years.
The mixers are a little unusual. Has as been pointed out, once you have "built" a mixer you can't change it without affecting other model memories were that specific mixer is used. However, you can use that mixer again for another model providing it is configured the same way, so it is a double edged sword. On the one hand it is something you have to be careful with (there is a warning before you alter a mixer, so you can't really do it by mistake). Conversely it saves a lot of programming time if you want to use that mixer configuration again.
More to the point is the overall power of the mixers. instead of a mixer just having the ability to mix two input channels it can mix five. This is a very useful capability on complex models like jets.
Regards,

John
Old 08-29-2005, 08:50 PM
JimBrown
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using an Evo 12 Synth since the spring. I am very happy with it. I have not experience any problems with it that were not my own fault. I have flown giant scale gassers and DF jets with it. I also purchased the optional scanner module and caught a radio left on in the impound at my club field. A nice feature of the synth version is that when turning the RX on, it checkes first to see if the frequency is clear, then asks if you wish to use it. If it is not clear, it will not transmit.

One thing that some people have a bit of trouble with, particularly here in North America, is that you have to pretty much forget everything you know about programming Asian radios. The approach to programming is completly different. However, once you get past that, the flexability offered is marvelous. As an example, I have a BVM Maverick with 12 servos in it. With my old 10x, there were several wyes required. I put a 12 channel IPD RX in the Mav, removed the wyes, gave each servo its own channel, and didn't need to be concerned with which channel they were plugged into. In doing that, I initially did not have to use any mixes. Subsequently, I added two mixes. One to turn off the nose wheel servo when the gear was up, and the other to provide some down elevator upon flap deployment (and, without having to do anything special, the down elevator change occurs at the same speed as the flap deployment!)

With regards to the mixers, there are 14 free mixers. The first 5 are predefined, but can be erased or changed. Each mixer is global, in that they can be used on any model, and that a change to that mixer is reflected on all models that use that mix. However, what hasn't been mentioned is that the only parts of the mixer that are global are the inputs to the mixer, and how those inputs will affect the servo the mixer is assigned to. Other parameters, such as travel volumes, dual rates, expo, centering, etc. are specific to a single model, and are adjusted elsewhere.

It is also easy to assign any switch or slider to whatever you want it to do. I've already changed my mind a couple of times with regards to the switchs I'm using to do various things. Changing things takes just a minute or two.

I'm a happy camper.

Regards,
...jim
Old 08-30-2005, 04:16 AM
George

Jim, I appreciate the detailed post & explanation and the time you took to do it. There are always going to be good and bad to questions like these and we need to sift through the information and gather what we can. Unfortunately I can't just go to a rally or fly-in and check this out because frankly, there just aren't many out there. I wish I could have gone to HOH and seen yours.

Thanks again, you really don't know ho much I appreciate it.

George
Old 08-30-2005, 05:51 AM
ozextra62

Hi George,

I can only agree with JimBrown and JohnMac. I have been an Multiplex/Evo user for nearly two years and would never use any other brand again. I know people who fly twin turbines with an Evo with no problems and the receivers and just simply the best. I fly giant scale models in Air Racing and have not had a single issue. I am wanting to get into turbines in the near future and I would not have any hestation about installing my Multiplex gear.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:38 AM
pecojets

i will have two downloud the evo manual to take a look ; i dont think that a free mixer will
afects other memories.as a multiplex user , flexibility its the name of the game for this brand , with my 3030 , i can mix all channels, with up to 4 inputs for mixer in the free mixer program , and also if possible to assing a swicht for turn it off , and that swicht can be assig to swicht other mixer in other memories ;

pecojets
Old 08-30-2005, 10:45 AM
747drvr
My Feedback: (5)

I don't have that radio but did consider it . The deal breaker for me was that you can only assign one expo value per function per model . All model conditions will have the same expo value . I ended up purchasing the 14MZ . While not perfect , it does allow completely different model conditions.

Marc
Old 08-30-2005, 03:06 PM
pecojets

the EVO cost 1/3 of the 14mz

pecojets