Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

fuse height on floats?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

fuse height on floats?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 10:48 AM
Bud Faulkner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuse height on floats?

Out of curiosity how high is your plane from the bottom of a flat surface when sitting on floats to the bottom of the fuselage at the float attachment point forward? I see so many different setups i'm trying to get a feel for the average. Thanks,

Bud
Old 09-02-2005, 01:36 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: fuse height on floats?

Bud:

For best handling, you want the floats to be as close to the fuselage as possible. But if you get them too close the prop will start sucking up water on the take off run. The rule of thumb is to set the bottom of the propeller arc 2 inches above the top of the float.

The distance from the bottom of the float will depend on the height of the floats, the distance from the bottom of the fuselage to the thrust line and the diameter of your prop.

Simple example: Start with half the diameter of your prop. If you are running a 12" prop, that would be 6'. Now measure from the center of the prop shaft to the bottom of the fuselage. Using 4" as an example, deduct that measurement from the 6" and you will see that the prop extends 2" below the bottom of the fuselage. Add the 2" rule of thumb clearance and you will need to have the top of the float 4" below the bottom of the fuselage.

Jim
Old 09-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Bud Faulkner

Thanks jrf, I already have mine set rather low and with proper prop clearance. I'm trying to see what other guys are using with the dimensions stated earlier to come up with some sort of average. I see some way too high. I don't think there are too many keeping them low.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85287.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	318842  
Old 09-02-2005, 04:03 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, well, to start off your data-base, I have one at 8 1/4", one at 9 1/2" and one at 12 1/2" from the bottom of the float to the top of the struts. That is the front strut. The rear struts may vary.

All of the above meet the 2" rule of thumb.

Jim
Old 09-02-2005, 05:13 PM
Bud Faulkner

Thanks Jim,
Mine is 9 3/4" at the front. Have any picture's?

Bud