Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Engine help... k4.6

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 08:46 AM
jpolidore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine help... k4.6

I have an SS kit. I took it out yesterday, it is a pain in the butt to start (cranking roto 5 secs at a time for 5 minutes). I blew into the fuel line to get the fuel to the carb and everything, put the ignitor on, cranked the roto, no go. So I thought it was flooded, I let it sit cranked the roto, No Go. I figured it was the ignitor so I put a fresh battery in it, and got it to start. It ran like a Raped Ape, pulling the front wheels off the ground etc. then it died for no reason. I tried to crank it again and it wouldn't start (hot), I had thought I had this problem before so I did a search on this and other forums, and they said it was a too lean LSN so I richened the LSN 1/8th of a turn. Finally got it to start, and it was bogging and it cut off again. I reset the LSN to the previous spot, and got it started after about 5 mins. It again ran like a Raped Ape. Then it died, could not get it started, while trying to get it started I increased the idle and replaced the glow plug with a EXTRA I had, not a brand new one but an extra. It finally started and ran good again (all the times it ran good the temps were questionable maybe a little high, at the end of tank 295). My question is this, what could cause this? the high temps and the difficult restarts? my MT2 will crank in 1 second with the roto, shouldn't my savy do the same? could it be an air leak in the tank? how do I find this? I am going to replace the fuel lines today and the plug. The Motor is sealed so I don't think the air leak is there. Am I headed on the right direction? The motor has about 3 gallons through it. Is the motor trashed? Besides trying the tank I have no idea what else to try and have never had a motor "go bad" on me. This motor was real strong not 1 month ago. Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:17 AM
Cyberfyn

Default RE: Engine help... k4.6

Could be an air leak. Check EVERY part of the fuel delivery system, the head, the backplate, the carb and O'ring etc. Then see what happens. Also try the stock settings and see if it'll run, and adjust from there. It shouldn't be duff after just 3 gallonds of fule unless it's been overheated regularly or has eaten a lot of dust and crap. Check the piston and liner for marks ar dark burn residue.

Ian F.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:44 PM
jpolidore

Thank you, I just checked the tank, and replaced the lines. Dude at the LHS told me it could be an exhaust leak also. I replaced both exhaust collets, so we will see if this fixes it.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:19 AM
amec

If the temp is consistently at 295 it may just be too lean. A lean engine will be hard to start from cold and once started will go hard till it overheats and stalls and is reluctant to start again. Try going richer on both the lsn and hsn and see if that helps.
By the way, mine runs with good power and wheel stands at 210-250.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:35 AM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

You have a .25 that is strong at 210??????????

I don't think they exist.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:53 AM
amec

Not a .25, a K4.6. It exists
Old 09-06-2005, 08:56 AM
gerwen

Try resetting the carb back to factory settings. It should list them in the manual for hsn,lsn and idle stop. It should start from there and you can go back to tuning for performance.