Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Splash Guard Servo Cover's ??

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Splash Guard Servo Cover's ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 03:30 PM
JAkridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Splash Guard Servo Cover's ??

I'm running the 4 servo setup on my Ultra Stick 60 and the water just plow's rite into them on takeoff and landing. The floats make a perfect splash rite at them.
I looked at setting them deeper in the wing, but to much work. I looked at a few other type planes and see they make some farring type covers.
So what other ideas do you guys have and what have you used to help stop the direct splash on your servos??
Old 08-20-2005, 05:01 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Splash Guard Servo Cover's ??

Hobby Lobby offers some servo covers:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/servomount.htm
Or you could just get creative with pieces of plastic from a 2-liter soda bottle and a heat gun.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:54 PM
acrojack202

Jim,

Just how sensitive are servo's to splashing? I'm using Hitec 525BB for ailerons and a 255MG for the elevator, all are subjuct to some splashing. I was particularly concerned about the elevator because of is placement so I disassembled it to see how it was sealed. Actually looked pretty good with an o-ring on the output shaft. I added another 0-ring beneath the control arm and coated it with silicone grease to keep water from entering along the shaft.

I'v had a couple flights with no problem, and there is some spray getting to the elevator servo, and probably the aileron servos too, but not as much. Am I flirting with disaster?

Do you know if some servos are more water resistant than others?

Jack
Old 08-24-2005, 08:32 PM
SKYPILOT
My Feedback: (9)

I personally have never bought Hitecs, so i can't speek for them but........

I do use the higher end JR and Futaba servos, and those ALL have o-rings at the upper and lower case joints, as well as an o-ring on the output shaft that seats just under the top case output bore. They list their servos as water resistent, and i have yet to find any water inside them after an accident. I do the same as you, i put a small amount of vaseline around the output shaft just under the servo arm, but do nothing aditional to the o-rings or seats, and it has not been a problem for me so far, knock on wood
Old 08-24-2005, 10:06 PM
JAkridge

All good info Scott.
And I mite be a little paranoid here, but after watching the spray off the floats "Jet" rite at these servo's, it has me a little worryed.
Your Dad did give me a few good ideas........ He said make a mold with puddy over the servo to what I want, let it harden, throw a little glass cloth-epoxy over the mold, cut them out, and WALLA, Spalsh Covers made to fit. I guess thats what experience is all about.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:34 AM
SKYPILOT
My Feedback: (9)

YEP,

Thats my Dad He's forgotten more tricks for this hobby than you and i will ever be able to catch!! He surprises me every day with his tricks and tips
Old 08-25-2005, 02:33 PM
JAkridge

Your Pops "KEN"[sm=thumbup.gif] Can't ever pass by real life experiance.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:53 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

You can make spray rails for your floats to cut down on the spray hitting the servos... some spray is normal, but if it is hitting the servos, then it seems a bit excessive...

Next idea it to buy some little Sig canopies, or use some preformed plastic packaging to make splash guards for your servos