Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

EPA settings

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

EPA settings

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 11:18 AM
ifp123
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPA settings

What EPA steering settings (percentage) do you cat owners think it best for racing, with the 'proper' skeg strut alignment and clearance from the transom?
Old 09-22-2005, 11:36 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: EPA settings

Relative to what? The percentages would be different for a person who setup his linkages for a 45 degree maximum rudder throw than one who setup the linkages for a 30 degree maximum throw. I've seen boats setup with huge throws and then use the EPA to tame them down. The problem with this setup is that you lose a significant amount of servo sensitivity.

A better choice is to limit your EPA use to preventing servos from stalling at physical endpoints. Use the control arm holes to adjust the amount of throw. If the control moves too much, resulting in too sensitive steering, move the control rod closer to the center of the servo arm. If it's too sluggish, move the control out. If you have adjustments at the rudder end, it's the opposite, closer in is more movement, further out is less movement.

This same thing goes for the throttle setup. I bought a second hand boat this summer that had a huge amount of servo travel removed by EPA adjustments. I replaced the servo arm with a shorter one (throttles don't need the long, heavy duty arms) and was able to get the EPAs back near 100%. The result is I can use much more of the servo travel, resulting in smoother control.

I like to have the rudder set so that the steering is fairly gentle. This lets me make smooth predictable turns. If I know I'm only making right turns, and it's a type of boat that has issues with high speed left turns, I reduce the amount of left to where I have enough for minor course corrections and avoidance manuvers. My cat has a fairly good amount of left right now because I use it for offshore racing, and there's a left turn in my club's course.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:03 PM
ifp123

I understand – thanks. I was asking because I was once told “your rudder should move no more than 13-percent in either direction from center.â€
Old 09-22-2005, 12:34 PM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: ifp123

I understand – thanks. I was asking because I was once told “your rudder should move no more than 13-percent in either direction from center.â€
Oh, THAT percentage! Sorry, I thought you were talking about the percentages on the EPA menu of a computer radio. My bad! I haven't actually taken a protractor to mine, but 13% sounds reasonable.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:49 PM
Captain Ramius

No hard and fast rule for amount of throw.
But you should set epa to give a tight line around the buoys and a just little more. OR
run the boat and dial back epa until the boat doesn't hook
Old 09-22-2005, 11:57 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It can depend on if your transmitter has an EPA over-ride or not. It's nice to have some extra throw on your rudder for those "just in case" times when you have to veer around something, whether it's debris in the water or if you're racing, a boat that dies or does some stunt in front of you.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:19 AM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

It can depend on if your transmitter has an EPA over-ride or not. It's nice to have some extra throw on your rudder for those "just in case" times when you have to veer around something, whether it's debris in the water or if you're racing, a boat that dies or does some stunt in front of you.
I had to do that very thing with my Sport 40. Another boat spun out in front of me near the end of the front straight. My pitman was amazed I was able to miss the other boat. He also went to bat for me to make sure I didn't get dinged for the bouy I cut as I was avoiding the other boat. I might have been able to get back outside the bouy, but at those speeds, I knew better than to try a hard left turn.