Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Giant Scale Sig Kadet - Radio System Question

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Giant Scale Sig Kadet - Radio System Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 08:57 AM
CitationX
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant Scale Sig Kadet - Radio System Question

I have recently purchased a completely framed up giant scale Sig Kadet from a fellow club member. He basically took the plans from a Senior Kadet kit and had them enlarged to nearly 200%. This brings the wingspan to roughly 12-1/2 feet, chord of 30 inches, fuselage length of 9-1/2 feet. He outfitted it as a tail dragger using custom made gear. It is scheduled to be powered by a sizeable gas engine of course. I have never built anything of this size before. The closest was a Bud Nosen Mr. Mulligan I built years ago.

Obviously this thing is not going to bore holes in the sky so tremendous air loads should be few and far between. However, I would prefer to be able to actually pull out of a dive or loop having reliable elevator control if you know what I mean! The wing is in 3 pieces: 6' center section bolted to fuse, 3-1/4' plug in outboard sections housing the ailerons. He did frame the center section with flaps. The elevator is about 5' long and the rudder is, well, sizeable to say the least. Just imagine for a minute a Senior Kadet, then scale the thing something rediculous and that is what we are talking about! It will be a logistical nightmare to lug it to the field. I plan to use it for towing planes/gliders, fun-flys for dropping things, and just an overall discussion generator.

I am still very much in the planning stages on how to complete this beast and have a basic question regarding the radio system. I have heard many schools of thought from club members about the number of receivers, battery packs, servos, etc. If I have long wire runs to servos placed near their respective control surfaces, do I run the risk of potential interference provided I use only 1 receiver? This thing could have upwards of 10-11 servos by the time it is outfitted with a smoke system, flaps, bomb drop, and possibly hard points on the wings. I usually try to make it to the XFC-Championships in Troy, OH every year and those guys are flying very expensive Carden/DA-150 powered machines. Although they are not quite as big as what I am dealing with they are of considerable money. I saw some running multiple receivers, multiple battery packs, power packs, etc. Some just went with a single receiver set up. I figure that my chances of having a receiver fail are slim. Even if I did run multiple receivers, what would be the chance of having a major control surface be in the neutral or near neutral position at the time of receiver failure? Impossible to answer that one. I am all for redundancy don't get me wrong. I just want to do what is reasonable, practical, and necessary.

I am completely open to suggestions on how to proceed with the radio system requirements for this hog. Just try to picture what I have described and let me know how you would address it. I look forward to some responses!

Thanks
Old 09-23-2005, 12:56 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Giant Scale Sig Kadet - Radio System Question

You could use two recievers, One in the tail and one up front. It would eliminate the long runs. My prefferance would be to use Hitec 5945's 5995tg's or JR 8611A's mounted in the rear with short push rods. or center mounted on pull pulls, Depending on the ballance requirements. Please post pictures of your progress!
Old 09-23-2005, 02:51 PM
geardaddy
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: Giant Scale Sig Kadet - Radio System Question

My father is working on a 1/2 Pietenpol with similar dimensions, will be a 14' span when done. I plan on using the big and reliable hitec 805 servos or the Tower units mounted close to the control surfaces. Will likely use some shielded wire to go the long reach to the servos and 6 volt batteries. May have two receivers also, not a must have but with plenty of spares around we just may do it.