Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Last Memphis Belle Crewmember Dies

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Last Memphis Belle Crewmember Dies

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 04:21 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Last Memphis Belle Crewmember Dies

The last of the Memphis Belle crewmembers has passed. Robert Hanson was the radio operator, he was 85 years old. Sad to see them go.

Dion

[link=http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/aplocal_story.asp?category=6420&slug=NM%20Obit%20B omber%20Radio%20Operator]Click here for the News Article[/link]
Old 10-04-2005, 10:48 PM
rryman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Last Memphis Belle Crewmember Dies

Sorry to hear that, but thanks for sharing. I just read Robert Morgans book last year, "The Man who Flew The Memphis Belle". Was a pretty good read.
Randy
Old 10-04-2005, 11:46 PM
rrudytoo
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the honor of meeting Robert Morgan at an airshow in Frederick, Maryland the year before he died. I bought his book then and he autographed it for me.

Col. Morgan tells quite a story in his book but one of the most memorable parts for me was when the Memphis Belle was flown into Bolling AFB outside of Washington DC. It was there that the crew and the plane would part company after all they had been through together. Col. Morgan said that, once the engines were shutdown and the plane was secured, the crew walked in silence to the flight shack. However, before entering the building, they all turned and looked at the "Belle".

Without a word being said, they all walked back to the plane and took up their crew positions. They remained there for about an hour remembering in silence, each with his own thoughts and memories. They then de-planed for the final time and went on with their lives.

We are so very blessed to have men such as these. God bless them all.

Al
Old 10-05-2005, 09:51 PM
Warjet
My Feedback: (327)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They don't call them the "Greatest Generation" for nothing! For those interested, the Tuskegee Airmen Association have appearances several times a year at airshows and such. Such an honor to sit and talk with them, which they will do for hours! Again, another example of the "Greatest Generation", maybe in fact greater.