Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

JR Adj. Servo Arm Heads Up

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

JR Adj. Servo Arm Heads Up

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 07:35 AM
Hawk-i

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR Adj. Servo Arm Heads Up

I'm writing this to alert others of a mfg error with the new released JR servo arms. I recently purchased 6 JR 1.5 inch adjustable servo arms. These arms have four predrilled and tapped holes for mounting ball links. It was obvious without measuring that the 1 inch hole was misdrilled (it was the distance I wanted to use on a new plane I'm building). A call to Horizon to ask if they were aware of the mfg error got me a "So what's your problem with that" response. Then my request for a replacement got me a " they're all probably made that way". So after this lousy experience with Horizon, I returned them to the hobby shop, and went out and bought SWB's Double-loc arms. Well made and quick service... worth the extra cost to me, and made in the USA.

BTW, I also had bought the new JR 3" adjustable full arm and found all the drilled holes to be in the correct position. Both the 1.5 and 3" arms fit on the 8611a without having to apply much pressure.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:57 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: JR Adj. Servo Arm Heads Up

The quoted response from Horizon just doesn't sound like Horizon. Having not yet seen the new "adjustable" servo arms I can't say anything about them. What does seem a little odd though is that if they fit and have the holes where you want/need them, why is there a problem?
Old 10-23-2005, 04:42 PM
Hawk-i

The half arms should have holes drilled/tapped at four positions, each 0.25 in apart, ranging from 0.75 to 1.5 inch. I bought the arms wanting to use the second hole out from the servo screw which is suppose to be the 1 inch position. It was not drilled at 1 inch but a lesser amount. At least 1/32th or maybe 3/64ths; I did not get out the machinist rule to measure exactly since the spacing between the second and third holes was visually larger than the other two spaces. This may seem to be nit picky, but I'm setting up a plane for IMAC and I'm trying to have my control linkages setup mechanically very close to each other. Regardless its a manufacturing error and it limits the product future use when mixing with other arms. Just thought others may want to know this if they are intending to ever use the 1 inch hole. In fact, you can see the spacing difference in many of the web site ads about this arm.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:55 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, I see your point if JR advertised them as having holes at the noted positions. But if they adaquately serve the purpose for which they were obtained, I still don't see the problem. I set up giant scale planes all the time and the only thing I'm concerned about is that arms on paired surfaces or ganged servos match, and perform the job in the manner they were intended. Where the hole is matters little as long it's where I need it to be. I've never measured the distance spread on JR, Air Wild, or SWB extended arms and they worked just fine.

I sincerely hope that whatever arm you next select works out better for you.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:23 PM
vatechguy3
My Feedback: (11)

my arms are made the same way. take it for what its worth, but i doubt that horizon will provide the same service that swb would.

i'll stick with my swb arms!!

tony