Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Racks for planes/wings

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Racks for planes/wings

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 07:21 AM
MAJSteve
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racks for planes/wings

I did the routine and hung some wall mounted racks for my planes and wings. Problem is that they don't really fit that well, since a 12" arm barely hits the fuse (I build largish planes).

Last night I tried to put up a Sportster 120. Didn't even come close to fitting, and it tried to topple to one side. I flashed on the fact that the stab to bottom of fuse measurement is always about an inch or three, and that it might fit better laying on its side. Tried it, it worked.

I'm going to lay all my fuselages on their side with the stab near the wall, I'll stagger them nose to tail and I think that this will allow me to put more up, have them more secure, and not have the stabs hanging out where I can hanger rash them.
Old 11-07-2002, 05:22 AM
crashnfix
My Feedback: (1)

As I sit here reading this, I look over to my left at my planse just barely hanging on and I think "why didn't I think of that?" Thanks!!!
Old 11-07-2002, 01:10 PM
Tattoo

I recently moved into a house that had some heavy guage clothes line strung up in the basement. I used it to my advantage, and it turned out to be a great airplane rack!

http://members.cox.net/deantuinstra/pics/newshop1.jpg

http://members.cox.net/deantuinstra/pics/newshop2.jpg
Old 11-07-2002, 08:08 PM
Juice

No!

I built myself the exact same kind of airplane rack in an unused closet with a sliding door. My LT-40 sat on 12" arms sideways (just as you're doing now) so that it will fit entirely inside the closet and I can slide the door closed.

It sat for the entire summer. Then just a few weeks ago I noticed that the vertical fin (which is horizontal when the LT-40 sits on the rack) was drooping, very noticeably. So I bought 18" arms and the LT-40 now sits right side up without falling off. But now my horizontal stab sticks out the closet and I can't slide the door closed anymore (which can be dangerous because model airplanes get nervous around doors... swinging or sliding ).

I'll let it sit like that over the winter and see of the horizontal stab starts drooping. The LT-40 is an ARF, maybe the way the tail sections were built makes them droop over time?
Maybe other planes won't have this problem.

Juice
Old 11-08-2002, 01:28 AM
Goggles
My Feedback: (4)

Holy crap Tattoo...you got enough transmitters????
Old 11-08-2002, 02:03 AM
gfinan

It looks like Tattoo has a transmitter on every channel. This is how I hang my planes.. by the tail. It keeps the after run oil in the bearings and I can put racks anywhere there is a little wall area.Greg
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	34375_16670.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	21622  
Old 11-08-2002, 02:49 AM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Transmitters!? What about planes?! Dang Tattoo. You have enough planes to start up your own industry!
Old 11-08-2002, 01:16 PM
Tattoo

Holy crap Tattoo...you got enough transmitters????
Actually, they are not all mine my much prettier half also flies (see page 62 of the Dec. Model Aviation Mag.). We are into combat, and half the planes and radios are Sassy's
Old 03-02-2003, 02:02 PM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PVC rack

Here is one way to store and transport planes. I do not disasemble the planes at all. I transport three high in my open pickup this way and store them 4+ high at home. Saves a lot of floor space. A rack for each plane at the field and they all fit each other like this.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	59574_18064.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	21623