Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

18t Clutch Bell?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 12:38 PM
evaderstbasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18t Clutch Bell?

When i got my savage it came with a 18t clutch bell and says ON ROAD ONLY! why is that why cant i use it off road? lol
Old 11-08-2005, 01:14 PM
Bash-m-up
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: 18t Clutch Bell?

It will place too much stress on the engine and it's components to run in the grass from trying to run at such a high FD ratio. If you had an engine that pushed a little more HP and more torque you might get away with such a gearing and FD ratio. Just don't do it with the NS-25, it will cause premature failure, besides you'll likely only gain an extra 2-3mph on the top speed any how, that's not hardly noticable to the naked eye when the truck is moving at 30+mph.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:52 PM
boydie1

I used the 18 tooth bell bashing with the SH.28 with a 49 spur and after a short while the clutch kept on slipping.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:48 AM
gerwen

^^^ What he said. Stock clutch isn't up to the task of running tall gears with a powerful engine off road. Go with an aluminum clutch or smaller clutch bell.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:10 AM
imdjenk

Put smaller diameter and lighter wheels or don't use it all with the s-25 offroad.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:47 PM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

Well the 1st reply claims engine damage.... no way. It WILL smoke that clutch though, and possibly the CB bearings, but you should really ditch the stock clutch anyways.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:17 PM
Bash-m-up
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Frost_

Well the 1st reply claims engine damage.... no way. It WILL smoke that clutch though, and possibly the CB bearings, but you should really ditch the stock clutch anyways.
I couldn't agree more, but while it will smoke the clutch, to a new guy, he/she might not notice that it is smoked, all the while over revving the engine while bringing it back, thus the engine damage is quite possible. Seen this situation in two cases on tracks, so this could happen.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:25 PM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

fair 'nuff

point taken [8D]
Old 11-09-2005, 03:43 PM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: evaderstbasher

When i got my savage it came with a 18t clutch bell and says ON ROAD ONLY! why is that why cant i use it off road? lol
The higher you gear a Savage, the more resistance in placed on the clutch components. Your engine is pushing hard in one direction, and your drivetrain is pushing hard in the opposite direction. Resistance creates FRICTION. Friction creates heat, excessive heat will quickly fry your stock Savage clutch. When you overheat clutch springs, they "lax" and become brittle and from that point on won't function properly. You clutchbell bearings get too hot, which also thins out the grease too much, and then the bearing grease is blown right past the rubber seals, and then your bearings get quickly trashed.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:02 AM
popadel

Polar Bus is right. That is exactly what happened to me.
And now im on smaller diametre tyres with a 18T CB